Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to purchase a fairly inexpensive 308 and I'm thinking of the X7. Would use for hunting/plinking; nothing past 150 yards. Also, would you folks suggest the 26" heavy barrel or shorter barrel. Finally, what's the difference between the X7 and the X7Y. If the quality isn't up to par I'll look elsewhere if anyone has good ideas. Thanks in advance ! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a X7 in 7-08 it functions as designed the only thing I am not fond of is the blind magazine. Took my last deer at 300 yards, so the accuracy is there. Difference of the X7 and X7Y is the X7Y has a shorter length of pull for the youth shooter. From what you state is your purpose for the firearm I would go with the standard barrel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
X7 series rifles. I bought one in 243, droped in a boyds thumbhole stock and was wowed. I was so pleased with how it shot that I now have 25-06 and 270and 308 rifles. They are the best rifle for the money that I have tried. Have some maybe better, but paid a lot more money. Thank you will be pleased if you buy. ken

·
Registered
81 Posts
imho - the x7 family of bolt actions are an excellent rifle value.

i have the xs7vh in .308win, and after restocking with a boyd's thumbhole and adding an swfa scope and a burris bipod it weighs a tad over 12# - not something that'll be fun for casual plinking and dragging around hunting, it's essentially a varmint/bench sniping rifle.

i also have a ruger american in .243win that i "bedded" (stiffening that added 1.5#) the fore end and butt stock, added an swfa scope and a caldwell bipod and it weighs over 10#. this is also an excellent rifle value, however there are no aftermarket stocks available as yet, but boyd's says they will have one come this august.

SO ... both rifles are quality bargains and both have excellent adjustable triggers, however i recommend the xs7 in .308 win - if the stock is or becomes an issue, for $100 it can easily be swapped out for a boyd's laminate.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Love mine. Is the finish as nice as my Howa 1500, or some others in the $500+ range, no. But it is a very good shooter, easy handling, etc.

·
Banned
373 Posts
Cabela's has the 700 ADL scope package in 308 for about the same price as an X rifle, the only difference is the 700 will last a lifetime, X series gun, not so much.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cabela's has the 700 ADL scope package in 308 for about the same price as an X rifle, the only difference is the 700 will last a lifetime, X series gun, not so much.
utter nonsense. both are remington products and both will "last" equally as long. however, there ARE more after-market products for a 700. i've owned well over a hundred different rifles alone since the late 50's, and the remlin x7 long guns are every bit as good as any rem 700.

·
Banned
373 Posts
utter nonsense. both are remington products and both will "last" equally as long. however, there ARE more after-market products for a 700. i've owned well over a hundred different rifles alone since the late 50's, and the remlin x7 long guns are every bit as good as any rem 700.
Hogwash, check over some of the older threads, X rifles have multiple quality issues since their introduction.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I have talked to a number of hunters that go to auctions for older guns in my area over the last couple of years. Those guys are snapping up OLDER Remington 700's and the bids get pretty high. A number of these guys said that the old guns are much better than what Remington is putting out these days. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

If you decide on a Rem 700, check Gun broker, armslist.com, and Estate sales that are selling old guns.

Mike T.

Reactions: Diamondback1

·
Banned
231 Posts
. A number of these guys said that the old guns are much better than what Remington is putting out these days. Sounds familiar doesn't it?
Mike T.
So are the older guns by Sig, Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, Smith, etc, etc, etc. Nobody today can manufacture modern guns like the older models, the cost would be too high, so it's not only Remington that that analogy applies to.

·
Super Moderator
25,169 Posts
I am definitely NOT pleased with a Rem model 700 that I bought in 2012. I have a seller all lined up for it when I return to the states next month. My Savage Model 11s are much better rifles quality wise for 200 bucks less. If you can get an older Model 700--I would go that route if you decide on a Remington bolt gun.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
81 Posts
a firearms wake up call in the 21st century. these dayze there is no such thing as the "always perfect off the production line firearm", no matter what brand OR model. it will always be a crap shoot of sorts. my new-to-me-in-1969 700 BDL varmint special in .222rem was just superb, right outta the box - well machined, bright 'n' crisp rifling lands, impeccable walnut and impression checkering, under 1/2moa @ 100yds - and that rifle was not a fluke nor did i get particularly lucky. that's the way they built 'em back then - unlike today. with the likes of remlin's x7 family, ruger's american centerfires, and savage's axis family, those are the rifles to buy if you want value in a very good shooting machine. will some require work and/or mods? yes. will some be dogs? yes. but so will some model 700's and model 70's (been there with both, not worth my money these dayze). you want guaranteed superb? get a firearm custom built and spend 2 to 3 times the cost of an assembly line 700 or 70. or gamble on a stock gun. you don't always get what you paid for - sometimes less, and sometimes you do, but almost never more.

·
Banned
231 Posts
will some require work and/or mods? yes. will some be dogs? yes. but so will some model 700's and model 70's (been there with both, not worth my money these dayzeQUOTE]

The difference between the the Marlin X guns , the Savage Axis, and the Ruger American, is that those rifles have inherent design flaws being built to a specific price point, shortcuts have to be taken, it's just a fact, like it or not. It's very likely that problems will arise at some point, usually sooner than later. Remington 700 and Winchester 70's, while it is possible to get a dog due to bad luck, the design is sound, and those rifles are made to a higher standard with superior parts, the use of more forged parts as opposed to cast or cheaper made parts that will break at some point with those lesser models is just one example of cost cutting.

It's your money and you can spend it the way you want, so if your happy with your X guns great, that's all that matters, in my opinion there are much better made guns for similar money.

·
Registered
81 Posts
will some require work and/or mods? yes. will some be dogs? yes. but so will some model 700's and model 70's (been there with both, not worth my money these dayzeQUOTE]

The difference between the the Marlin X guns , the Savage Axis, and the Ruger American, is that those rifles have inherent design flaws being built to a specific price point, shortcuts have to be taken, it's just a fact, like it or not. It's very likely that problems will arise at some point, usually sooner than later. Remington 700 and Winchester 70's, while it is possible to get a dog due to bad luck, the design is sound, and those rifles are made to a higher standard with superior parts, the use of more forged parts as opposed to cast or cheaper made parts that will break at some point with those lesser models is just one example of cost cutting.

It's your money and you can spend it the way you want, so if your happy with your X guns great, that's all that matters, in my opinion there are much better made guns for similar money.
yes, there are "shortcuts" taken to build a bottom feeder rifle for half the price of a standard.

but ... "design flaws" - where and in terms of what? at the cost of safety or longevity or both? please define and explain.

·
Banned
231 Posts
You can use the search function, you will read of the many problems that affect longevity and reliability. No amount of wishful thinking can turn a $300.00 gun into something it's not!

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can use the search function, you will read of the many problems that affect longevity and reliability. No amount of wishful thinking can turn a $300.00 gun into something it's not!
you haven't answered the question - what "design flaws"?

"design flaw" indicates physical build parameters that are inferior and will sooner or later exacerbate an inherent built-in problem.

if it's a question of less suitable materials, that's not a flaw of design, it's a component issue that may lead to either rapid wear or failure.

so, which is it? or is it both?

in either case, you made the statement so it's your obligation to please provide examples or links to any inferior design criteria or inferior components.

·
Banned
373 Posts
No, what winterlands said if your happy with your X guns great, if you want proof of flaws that are inherent in $300.00 guns, look over the old threads, nobody here is going to do your homework for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No, what winterlands said if your happy with your X guns great, if you want proof of flaws that are inherent in $300.00 guns, look over the old threads, nobody here is going to do your homework for you.
no no no, i don't think so, sir. you make a statement, you back it up, that's YOUR responsibility NOT mine, nor is it MY "homework" to do anything. i know the track record of bottom feeders AND standards, since the 50's, i did my personal rifle "homework" over the last 60 years.

to make blanket statements that there are "design flaws" with specific rifles begs corroborative support, not a flippant "go do searches, go do your homework" - that's passing the buck ********.

the bottom line to all this stuff is ... DO WHATEVER YOU THINK IS BEST ... FOR YOU.

·
Banned
231 Posts
I don't have to back anything up, it's all here on this website for YOU to read, there's nothing flippant about documented facts from owners of this rifle, if you want to know what the issues are YOU find them, I already know the shortcomings of the rifle.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts