Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a marlin lever action from a neighbor, it has no barrel markings, the only numbers are under the lever and they are 362xx. What is it ?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, there must be something on the barrel if you knew it was a Marlin. Look on the top of the barrel right ahead of the receiver - that is where the caliber will be stamped. There will be other clues such as patent dates and the company name. SW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He also gave me a 1951 39A with the markings you speak of. The one in question is in very good shape but nothing on that area of the barrel. I am guessing it is a marlin.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you can post a pic, the make & model of the gun in question will be quickly known. SW

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
you have one awesome neighbor.. for sure.. WOW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
A serial number in the 36xxx range should be a pretty early gun, (around 1890) which wont have a tang marking, but like Hogger said, it should have a barrel rollstamp. It may have been polished off, or maybe an aftermarket barrel replacement.
Is this gun a centerfire? Is there a loading gate on the right side of the receiver? Is there a "catch" that holds the lever closed?
This could be an 1889, but might be too early to be a .22 of any kind. Could also be a very late 1881, but need more info or picture to know for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not so sure it's an early Marlin. The serial numbers were not under the lever but in front of the trigger gaurd at the front/bottom portion of the receiver.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
vrmntcllr said:
I'm not so sure it's an early Marlin. The serial numbers were not under the lever but in front of the trigger gaurd at the front/bottom portion of the receiver.
You're right! But they didn't use a number like that in any era that was under the lever, without a prefix letter??? Interesting!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I don't know much about this but I noticed over in the 336 forum that a guy had listed out that list of dates of manufacture. It has a footnote that the 1939 Marlin 39A had a serial number but no prefix. I'm unsure of where the serial number on that vintage of 39 is though. Just thought I'd throw it out there! Like you guys have already said, there should be SOMETHING on the barrel though.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
GEOFF said:
I don't know much about this but I noticed over in the 336 forum that a guy had listed out that list of dates of manufacture. It has a footnote that the 1939 Marlin 39A had a serial number but no prefix. I'm unsure of where the serial number on that vintage of 39 is though. Just thought I'd throw it out there! Like you guys have already said, there should be SOMETHING on the barrel though.

Geoff
Yes, the model 39a in 1939 did not have a prefix letter, but still too high a number for that model. They may have made it past 4 digits, but not up into the 30,000 range.
Same thing for the model 410. They had no prefix at first, but before they got too far they got a U prefix. Highest serial number on them was around 8,000. Guesstimates put total of <10,000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts