Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it with some people today, even self proclaimed gun people? I recently was given a Marlin 1893 and think it is a really neat gun. Something about that 26 inch octagon barrel and nice wood stock. However, when I have showed it to several friends and family I have got some really disappointing comments, from "I would sell it and get a real gun" to "Nice, but what do you want with something that old" to "You could sell it and get a couple of Glocks". Why do poeple think that if it isn't the newest wonder gun it isn't any good?

I see the beauty of and the craftmanship of older guns. Not knocking the new stuff out there, there are good guns out there. However, to me one AR looks like the next AR. I want a firearm that is a working tool, but I also want it to have some class also. To me a nice firearm is as much of a piece of art as any painting or statue. Steel and wood make a statement, plastic not so much. I only have revovlers, not because there is anything wrong with semi's, I just prefer a good wheel gun. I challenge anyone to find one Glock out there that looks as good as my nickel plated S&W Model 10 (no Dash), S&W 686 or Ruger SP101. I must admit I only have 3 rifles (Marlin 1893, Marlin 30AS, Ruger 10/22), but I want more. The 1983 has wet my appitite for more collector guns. My next want is a good bolt action rifle, and have been looking for a older model in good shape (any suggestions on a good model to look for would be helpful).

·
Registered
496 Posts
IMH they are just showing their ignorance. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Don't worry about those that don't appreciate the beauty and art in an old Marlin. It's their lose. As far as older bolt action rifles, the list is long. But my short list includes commercial mausers, Sako's and older Ruger 77's.

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
My father in law was kind of like that. He's into Remington 1100s and told me that he couldn't see why anyone would mess with any rifle, especially an old lever action "cowboy gun". He was of the opinion that if I was going to mess with rifles, I should be shooting some new fangled auto loader in some whiz bang modern caliber.

Then I dropped a big forkhorn buck with him watching with one shot from my 1894 in 44-40. The deer was dead right there. I levered out the empty and waited a minute to see if the deer was going to get back up. He picked up the empty brass, studied it for a bit, put it in his pocket and never said another word to me about my choice of rifles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hear ya C/O. Don't let them bother you. I'm fortunate to hang around in the company of a bunch of traditional black powder shooters who appreciate old guns for what they were and still are. We are mostly flintlock shooters so when we talk modern guns we're talking about late 19th and early 20th century cartridge shooters. Now if you're looking for opinions on a classic bolt action I would look at a sporterized 03 Springfield. The collectors turn their noses up to them because they're not original military condition and the AR shooters look down their noses because they're too old. So they don't command outrageous prices. But, find a well done example and you have a shooter that will work every time, accurately with the most common sporting cartridge of all time. Hey, they were proven through two world wars. How's that for classic? Mike

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Parley Baer said:
IMH they are just showing their ignorance. ;D
I agree 100%.. They just don't have a clue .. you have one of the best of the best ever made rifles.. 99.9% of the members here would cherish a gift like that for life and then some..

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
C/O,
A suggestion you might want to consider for your bolt gun would be one of the older Remingtons, (before the days of Cerebus) ::)
I have a model 721 in 300 H&H and it's short action brother the 722 in .257 Roberts. They're both shooters and they're both rifles I can remember hearing the grown-ups (hunters) talk about when I was a kid. I can remember thinking that when I get big I'm sure gonna have me one of those. Now I'm 61 and I do have one and I hope my grandsons take interest in shooting and hunting so I can pass them on to them. My 2 cents. Keep us posted as to how your search goes.

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
I'm glad there are people like that still out there! If everyone loved old leverguns like we do, then there'd be even more competition for them!
As for old bolt guns; other than the old Remington Keene I could care less about them too. Never have gotten into the military collecting thing myself.

·
Registered
185 Posts
C/O said:
Why do poeple think that if it isn't the newest wonder gun it isn't any good?
Oh boy.. I run into this sort of thing often, almost daily you could say. Its more than just firearms, its everything with me. I've given up trying to explain it and putting any weight into their comments.

Nothing you can do about it, it'll drive you nuts if you let it, you just have to develop a "zen". Let it roll off like water from a ducks back.

I think its a side effect of modern day marketing and our "consumer" or throw away society. People are conditioned to always be moving on to the new, new thing. "OMG! The iPod 4 is out, my iPod 3 is worthless!!!" It might be maybe they watch too many movies, and see all the cool tactical, high tech, stuff so they think thats what you should have.

I get the same kind of comments or looks like my head is screwed on sideways because I fancy revolvers and lever guns and a cartridge thats 130 years old. Most every gun person I know is into the latest Hi-Cap Polymer this or AR that, like they gotta try and keep up with the latest SWAT or Special Forces Trends.

They just don't see the simplicity, reliability and plain old sheer joy of ownership of those old guns and cartridges.

Maybe its because of the high speed, "get-it-now", "Just Google for the answer" and not really understand stuff time we live in. Seems like most people are just in a hurry for everything nowadays and just don't want to think much or very deeply, apparently that includes things like getting rounds down range and emptying their wallet.

I was explaining how I reload with a Lee Loader or a Hand Press and dies to a guy I work with and in the same one sentence response he both told me I should get a progressive and that he has to buy factory new ammo because his Glock can't do reloads. I asked if he tried any reloads and he said he hadn't but that, he "read it on the Internet". I almost fell over laughing, here is a guy that doesn't know the first thing about reloading telling me I need a progressive press. I decided not to tell him that if reloaded correctly his Glock could do reloads and that my non progressive slow hand loaded 45 Colt not only cost a whole lot less than his .40 S&W factory ammo but, little more than a box of .22 LR. I DON"T WANT A PROGRESSIVE PRESS!! There was no way I could explain that I got just as much enjoyment out of the process and the time it takes the way I reload as the shooting of the rounds when they are done.

You just can't explain it to people, either they get it for themselves or they don't.

I guess I just think differently, I want user serviceable parts inside my stuff, I am a big Do it Yourself-er, I want to know whats in the sausage. I want to put work and thought into things, roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty. To me it seems like all of that complexity just adds to the cost of and takes away from the enjoyment of ownership (and is more like being owned by the stuff) and of the sport / hobby. The new fangled stuff costs more, requires more accouterments, to my way of thinking.

Then again my car is 22 year old diesel. I put it together myself using two 22 year old cars that were "junk". Its invaluable to me for its simplicity and ease of ownership and joy of driving. Most everyone I know can't see why I just don't go get a new car, I could if I chose to. They don't understand why I'd want something that has no GPS, computers, gadgets, on-star, entertainment system, and doo-dads, gadgets, and etc. All they see is an old clattery clunker that requires a key to both unlock and start :eek: with no new fangled gizmos. I love it all those very same reasons.

I've given up trying to explain it and every-time they moan and complain about how they had to take their new rides to the dealer for this or that and it cost $200.00 or $1000.00 to get an oil change or something fixed I just smile. :)

I shave with an old safety razor, brush and mug. It costs me less to shave for a year than it cost for a single pack of the newest fangled double quadruple bladed six way pivot multi lube strip plastic disposable razors. I've mentioned it when guys I know complain about the cost of razors and that "They feel like they are just throwing money away.". Once again, it as if my head is screwed on sideways and they say "that doesn't sound good, its sounds really slow, I don't have that kind of time in the morning.".

Once again, for me the process is part of the enjoyment, instead of it taking 2 minutes to shave, I take 6 or 8. So what? My thinking is if you can't take a few extra minutes to shave in the morning, you are doing something wrong.

We're just odd ducks, enjoy it. Be proud of it!

marlinman93 said:
I'm glad there are people like that still out there! If everyone loved old leverguns like we do, then there'd be even more competition for them!
+1 On That!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ziptar, that is the way I feel about guns, and the way I am begining to think about alot of other stuff also. Sometimes the simplest is the best. The more bells and whistles the more that can go wrong and that means $$$. I just spent a week a week going through Glock training for my job. After hearing for a week don't do this or that it could cause a malfunction, I don't have a lot of faith in them. Our S&W Model 10 worked just fine, and if you have a malfunction just pull the trigger again. Not to mention 3 guns broke during the week. Rear sight fell off one, one would not go into battery (bad recoil spring), one had the trigger break. Our revolvers never had that many issues in one training session.

Well, like it was said before, that just leaves more of the "Old Fashion" stuff for those of us that are stuck in the past. My guns only do one thing, but they do it well.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have no problem with the above listed behavior. The way I see it; it means more of them left for us that do treasure these old gems. ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
C/O said:
Well, like it was said before, that just leaves more of the "Old Fashion" stuff for those of us that are stuck in the past. My guns only do one thing, but they do it well.
I don't see it as being stuck in the past, instead I'm sticking with what works. ;D

I just though of this another perfect example of what I run into....

This winter as I got in my car one evening a neighbor had just returned home and was exiting his. Since it was cold I got in and turned the key and waited for the glow plug light to go off before I started cranking. In the ~minute it took the the heat the glow plugs my neighbor called over and asked if I had "car trouble".

I cranked it up by the time he'd come over. I attempted to explain about old diesels, glow plugs, and cold weather. He just looked perplexed and asked "you can't just jump in it and go?".

From his viewpoint someone getting in their car and not instantly taking off in a split second was odd, for me, it was just normal.

Everybody's in a hurry....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some folks are just "gun snobs". Like you, I also appreciate a good "wheel gun", and it's good to see someone else call it that. Ignore the snobs and shoot what you like to shoot. If you're happy with it, then no one else really matters. I have a passion for Ruger Handguns. I have a lot of people ask me why I would want a ruger over a glock or a springfield, until I out shoot them with my Ruger. That usually shuts 'em up!!

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
ziptar said:
I don't see it as being stuck in the past, instead I'm sticking with what works. ;D

I just though of this another perfect example of what I run into....

This winter as I got in my car one evening a neighbor had just returned home and was exiting his. Since it was cold I got in and turned the key and waited for the glow plug light to go off before I started cranking. In the ~minute it took the the heat the glow plugs my neighbor called over and asked if I had "car trouble".

I cranked it up by the time he'd come over. I attempted to explain about old diesels, glow plugs, and cold weather. He just looked perplexed and asked "you can't just jump in it and go?".

From his viewpoint someone getting in their car and not instantly taking off in a split second was odd, for me, it was just normal.

Everybody's in a hurry....
I totally understand that! My newest car is my '71 Camaro, then the '69 Chev Suburban, and a 1946 Austin. Several of my neighbors have asked why I don't own a new car that I can just jump in and go. None of them understand the nostalgia and interest I have in old American iron, whether it's guns or cars.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I like the old stuff as well. The other day I got a deal on an Ambassadeur fishing reel that looks almost new and works like a new one to boot that was made in '74. It's got a permanent home here and is going to be my new catfishing reel. Mrs Willy talked me into buying a late model used pickup with all the bells and whistles. It's okay, but just more stuff to break and go wrong. I miss my old Chevy Cheyenne half ton. Use a shaving mug and brush myself and don't see why anyone would waste their money on shaving cream in a can. A cake of shaving soap lasts a long time.

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Use a shaving mug and brush myself and don't see why anyone would waste their money on shaving cream in a can. A cake of shaving soap lasts a long time.
Thats me too! I can't even find my favorite shave soap locally, so had to buy a case of it over the internet!

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I would not care and do not care what other people said to me about my firearms (Or most things that I own or how I think in many matters.) no matter what type of them that I liked. Ignore them. My late husband used to say, "Consider the source.", when it came to some people and their comments in life about people, things, objects, etc. Many people have not owned or used some objects in their lives too. Many people have tunnel vision, they have never walked in the other guy's shoes and/or shot his or her GUN!

Many of them have NO clue that many of the older and/or older 'style' types of firearms are classics and better in the long run for performance and quality made workmanship than some of the 'modern made' guns.

I personally have preferred lever action rifles since I bought and shot my first rifle in the late 90's, I like single action revolvers, I like single shot rifles, I think that B/P firearms are COOL, I like some d/a revolvers in classic calibers, I do like a classic Glock in a Model 19C - 9mm, I do not own a shotgun and I am NOT knocking them - I just do not own one and prefer to shoot a rifle more!

Oh yes, I like 22LR caliber shooting and firearms the most now since my arthritis is worse - that caliber gets made fun of a lot in some gun circles too. Oh well.

Did you ever think that a bunch of those people who scoff at you or your life or the STUFF that you own may NOT have a clue about you, your life or the things that you own (Stuff!) but they could be jealous of you even if you don't have a modern style firearm, a fancy - expensive lifestyle or are into a fast paced lifestyle?

Consider the source, to each their own and tell them that they should buy and shoot whatever trips their trigger or 'floats their boat'! They are not buying your guns, putting a ROOF over your head, clothes on your back or feeding you!

I buy what I like and shoot what I like in MY guns. I never had a bad gun. I have NEVER regretted any gun that I bought, past or present, any vehicle or boat either! I use what suits ME now especially due to my hand issues. I don't care what Jane or Joe shoots - more power to them! I like what I like and think for myself. It would not do me any good to have some complicated firearm that did not work for me when I needed it to go BANG or one with bad recoil due to poor design or try to use a gun that I could not handle due to my 'physical issues' in this day and age. (Compared to what I used to shoot with ease and NO physical problems or less of them!)

Give me a classic gun that goes BANG when I want it to go bang and one that I SHOOT WITH CONFIDENCE and comfort! Give me one that is not only reliable but one that I understand, can care for and clean easily. She can be a pretty gun too. :)

Consider the source, don't sweat the small stuff or small people out there!

Take care and have fun shooting YOUR guns!

Catherine
Armed and Female
Montana Territory
A proud owner of a Marlin Golden 39A - 22lr.
Stevens Favorite single shot rifle made by Savage - 22lr.
Ruger Super Single Six - 22lr/22wmr.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts