Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I'm a new member, I have read quite a few posts in this forum, and It looks like there are quite a few knowledgeable shooters here. I
honestly can't make that claim, but hope to learn more. I have been shooting a 30-30 since I was 13, (40 now) I have used my dads 51 win
94, bought my son a new 94ae, last year, and in Jan couldn't resist the
marlin 336A at my local walmart for $280.00. Love the Marlin!!
I have checked the ballistics on 30-30 vs .35Rem, the muzzle energy
for them both appear to be about the same (Chuckhawks.com) according
to what I've read. I have never shot a .35, I have never seen the results
on Deer with a .35, But for the past few months I have read alot of
positive things about this caliber. I would really appreciate some info on
what significant factors would make the .35 Rem a better hunting cartridge
than the 30-30. I realize the 200 grain .35 has more wump than the
170 grain CL I use in the 30-30, but when I compare the ballistics, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference in energy. I have taken a couple of Elk with my 30-30, I really enjoy the ease of carrying a lever
30-30, I just read a post from someone that said the .35 Rem can bring
down anything on this continent. out to 150 yards which is my hunting
style. Well I've rambled on enough. Could someone please SELL ME ON
THE .35 REM ??? thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, the only thing that i can see that would make a difference is a .358 caliber bullet vs. a .308 caliber bullet. It is just a bigger hole which more blood can exit through.

NH_Hunter

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not that much difference. It has a little more bullet diameter and a little heavier bullet. The bullet/load performs perfectly. Sort of a 30-30+.
Many .35's are nice and accurate which helps. It's an enthusiast's cartridge unlike the 30-30 which is everyman's meat gun. So we enthusiasts like to pump it up and proclaim it superior over all other rounds.
Just pick up a 200 grain Corelokt .35 and compare it to a 30-30, then shoot them side by side. Also, the .35 is a great cartridge for the handloader.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, Ok, couple of good points there, I appreciate it guys.

·
Registered
243 Posts
To say there is little difference between the 30-30 Win and the 35 Remington is an injustice.

The 35 Rem. if handloaded is far superior to the 30-30 Win. A 180 gr Speer Hot Core at 2300 fps is nothing to sneeze at. I would take a broadside shot on an elk at 200 yards any day of the year.

Would you even dare to take a shot on an elk with the trusty old 30-30 at 200 yards? I say not.

The 35 Remington is underloaded to a wimpy 33,000 psi. If you can shoot a 356 Win out of a Marlin 336 then you should be able to come close to the ballistics with the 35 Rem. Remember I said close.

I also think the 220 Speer Hot Core is a great bullet for elk in the heavy timber. 2000 fps with a 220 grain bullet is nothing to sneeze at either. I believe in being a safe reloader and shooter, but we have all been brain washed into thinking the 35 Rem should be loaded to such wimpy velocities that it make the cartridge appear to have no advantage over the reliable 30-30.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
The bigger caliber you get, the closer you get to the "Big Bore Effect". It's the same something that makes a .45acp more effective than a 9mm even tho the paper numbers are close.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome to the "Proponents of the .35 Remington" brotherhood. I found one, at a very good price, filthy and from the late 50s. After cleaning the bolt, and inspecting the action, I shot factory Remington 200 grain ammunition, waiting for the uncomfortable recoil that never came, and marveling at the accuracy that I really did not expect. I haven't looked back. I clean a little bit more of the "caked on" crud everytime I clean it after shooting. It is coming up very nicely - showing it's age to be sure, but it's all character, y'know?

If you find one - get it. If you don't care about the safety or the micro-groove, get any model you like. If you don't want a cross bolt safety, or you want Ballard type rifleing, look for the years of manufacture they were manufactured that way. You will find a whole wonderful historic back ground to this wonderful caliber.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Like .35Hunter and 7-30Waters said, in factory loads, the major difference between the .35 and .30wcf (aka .30/30), is in the bore diameter. Both the 200gr RN and 170gr Rn have been tweaked to perform optimally at the speeds of the respective calibers. Not really much difference in the velocities I've chrono'd with both. Both run to ~2,100fps from 20" bbls. Yes, I know some of the latest .35's are said not to crack 2,000fps, but, frankly I haven't seen any go that low from the two .35's I've used.
Hence, advantage goes to the .35. Based on my brothers observations, and people I talked to while bear hunting with him in New Brunswick, Canada while my brother was stationed in AirForce in Maine, the .35 with Rem. 200gr Cor-lokts had a reputation as being superior to the .30/06 for bears over bait (very close range- long shot= 100ft!). It also had/has an envyable reputation on Eastern Moose which run to 1,000lbs.

With handloads, it's a whole 'nuther story. I get 2,250 to 2,350fps with a Remington 200gr C.L. loaded over H4895 or IMR3031 from my m336 w/20" bbl. and cases are still within case length tolerance after 10 reloadings. Pressures seem about like factory .30wcf levels too. At these speeds, the .35 is absolutely amazing on deer. However, at 2,450fps, I had poor success with the Speer 180FN, as it doesn't expand well on ~150lb deer with chest shots. This bullet would be the choice for Elk or medium bears though, especially where shots can run to the far side of 100yds. This bullet is really designed for the higher velocities of the .358, .35 Whelen, and .350mags.

Sighted in at 3" high at 100yds, the .35 and .30wcf are still Point-blank to 200yds, so I never feel handicaped with either of these cartridges.

And, I DO prefer the way these rifles handle and carry in the Field.

Get a .35 and give it a good home. I suggest you find a used one languashing away in a gun shop "used" rack. They don't do anyone any good there!

For factory loads, either the Remington, Federal, or Winchester 200gr RN's are excellent, with the Winny's chronographing the fastest in my limited experience. The few I was given ran to nearly 2,200fps, with one of 5 making 2,205fps. Very good accuracy for all three brands, however.

For reloading bullets, only two I can recommend are the 200gr Remington Cor-Lokt. Over 39.0gr of BL-C2, my 336 shoots 3-shot 1" groups at 100yds for around 2,150fps duplicating factory performance. The Sierra 200grRN is also very good, but about 2-x as expensive.

The only .35Rem. bullet I've ever recovered is a 200gr Rem. C.L. that was running 2,300fps. I hit an 140lb 8pt. whitetail in the left ham, and bullet was lodged under hide on far right shoulder and penetrated approx. 30" of deer. Recovered bullet weighed 182gr and looked for the world like the old magazine advertisement where Remington claimed, "deadliest mushroom in the woods"!. Text-book bullet performance.

That's what the .35 is all about!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:shock:

ummm I am really really thinking about joining the .35 fraternity!

thanks guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
.35 Remington

I picked mine up last spring. It was manufactured in 1954. It's in great shape and I'm the 3rd owner.

I took it out for elk last season, but did not get a chance to see how it would perform. Never saw a live elk.

I'll be using it this season for elk and black bear. Maybe even for deer. (Gosh, I hope my 336 in .30-30 doesn't read this post!)

I'm using factory 200 grain Remington and it shoots great.

It's a damn fine looking rifle with full buckhorn rear sights. I'm thinking about replacing them with peep sights and a colored front sight. The old eyes are getting a little tired.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Strangely, my experiences with factory ammo velocities run almost 180 degrees from GG's. Winchester 200 grain Power Points have run around 1930 fps or so, average from 20" barrels, on many lots acquired up to 16 years apart. Note that they rate their velocities as being lower than the Federal or Remington offerings, and this has been proven true in my experience. Remington Core-Lokts go from 1975 to 2020 fps, depending upon temperature. The Federals went 2070 on a recent test, but I can't tell you if that is typical as I have fired far fewer of them than the other two brands.

I would be very greatly surprised if the Winchester and Remington stuff went 2100 from a 20" barrel (especially the Winchester) but the only way to find out for yourself is to drag out the chronograph and shoot them through your gun. I'd bet pretty heavy coin on the Winchester and Remington stuff being close to the velocities I stated, unless your barrel is longer than 20".

·
Registered
664 Posts
Different barrels with different internal finishes, dimensions, ect., will frequently give widely divergent results with same lot# of ammo. My chrono' data comes from two different guns, only. A Remington 760 w/22" bbl, and a Marlin 336 of late 1960's vintage. I'm meticulous about bore cleaning, to. Also, most chrono'd data is done in warm months in S.E., so temps are usually in high '80's to mid '90's F., so will run a bit fast.
My sample of Winchester .35Rem. is also very small. About 10rds from 3 different sources.

BTW; most of my "deer feeder" hunting has been done with a video camera, laser-range finder, and TICKET BOOK for ammo. It's Illegal in most S.E. states to hunt over, around, or near an active deer feeder. Shucks, deer are so numerous in our neck of the woods, they're almost "varmints". Who needs to bait 'em up when they're pruning the shrubs in the front yard?!

·
Registered
594 Posts
GOOSE,
What part of Georgia do you hunt? I live in FL, but have a hunting lease in SW Georgia. I'm about 45 minutes NW of Albany.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Heeeey what else can a fellow .35 member add to such a mountain of good information. You will enjoy. If you need help locating one we'll help.

SS

·
Registered
479 Posts
bytor said:
:shock:

ummm I am really really thinking about joining the .35 fraternity!

thanks guys.

What do you mean "Thinking about joining", you should already be in the fraternity !!! :wink: :p

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, I know.... its that other half of mine, gonna have to take her
out to the Red Lobster again. lots of great info guys. I'm sold!!!

G

·
bytor said:
Yea, I know.... its that other half of mine, gonna have to take her
out to the Red Lobster again. lots of great info guys. I'm sold!!!

Bytor,

How about giving your other half a 35 Rem? Might open up a whole new adventure.

;-) Grizz

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ummm thats a good thought grizz, I'll look into that.......anything
to keep her happy and an excuse for me to be able to start
reloading.

·
Registered
664 Posts
DuckBill;

I'm in east Ga. now. About 30mi. west of Augusta.

I hunt on several WMA's in this area. Not a lot of hunting pressure either. I also hunt on private tracts in W.Ga. where deer are quite a bit larger than around here. I regularily kill does in west Ga that are larger than big bucks here near the SC border. However, just about 50mi. south of me, down on the costal plain, the mature bucks can often exceed 200lb field dressed. I just don't have any contacts down there.

I worked in SW Ga area back in early '80's (very south and west- Al and FL corner), and deer are large down there, but populations are not nearly what they are in the Piedmont area. And, amount of public hunting areas is not as much as in mid state areas.

I also hunt in east Alabama. Deer are also slightly smaller, and bucks not as numerous given the "buck a day" limit. I hunted one hour and got me a doe while "scouting" for a place to hunt the next AM this past season, and had never been on that tract of public hunting land. Got two deer in less than 24hrs. Got my money's worth from that license! (last two days of season in Jan. too!). This coming season, I'm going to be in club with friends in East Al, one of which owns the property. Season is from Late Nov. to end of Jan., and doe days are length of season- ~ 100days. I guess I'll have to get another freezer, and donate a LOT of meat. Since I not going out west to hunt this year, I may have my Ga limit of 12 before the AL season opens! But, then again, I'll probably "pass" on the deer waiting for the pigs. Decisions, decisions!
(what gun, caliber, load, which lease/tract, ect. ect.- sleep in late again?)

It's wonderful being retired now! Lots of time to hunt, reload, and shoot. Only lack of money is impediment. (Though I'm not hurting, either!)

I guess I've got to get a part time job to "slow me down", and put a little "hunting, shooting, reloading, match entry fee's" money in my pockets.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Goose, I'm envious. I'm sure you earned the right to enjoy retirement. Time is my biggest problem, money is close behind. I acquired some access to SC and Alabama this year. Between those plus my lease in GA, I really have to juggle my schedule. I've got my job, church, family(3 yr old and a pregnant wife) hunting, reloading, shooting, golf. WHEW!!! It's a good thing I don't sleep much :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts