Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once collected the OTHER brand of lever actions..Then one gun show I traded for three guns for one of mine and realized how SPECIAL Marlins really are.The flat top,side eject,fantastic FIT and Finish.And above all,from a hunters perspective,ease of cleaning,with the rod going the right direction,from breech to muzzle..
How about you??

·
Registered
394 Posts
Aesthetically and mechanically they are a much better rifle. Basic field stripping for routine cleaning is a snap. Model 94 Winchesters require an almost complete breakdown just to get the bolt out of the receiver. The Marlin can be cycled slowly and still properly chamber a round. The WRA 94 shell carrier has a seriously stiff detent and spring that must be overcome with the result being a LOUD snap! The trigger block on WRA 94s require a bit of squeezing on the lever to disengage it. The Marlin lever snaps into place smartly. As far as new WRA 94s are concerned, the Winchester is a disgrace to the name.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi guys - glad to be back after a summer leave from the forum....

I think for me, part of the lure is in the numbers. Thousands upon thousands more of the Winchesters were produced, compared to the Marlins. I think this makes them much harder to find, especially in deluxe configurations. Also, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Winchester collector in these parts. Maybe I just like being a 'little' different than everybody else. The Marlins are every bit as handsome and fuctional as any Winchester ever was.

WB

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Simplicity! The LL Hepburn designed Marlins are superior to almost any other lever action, when it comes to doing the same thing with half as many parts!
Then there's the standard cased receivers, where others made this an extra. Nothing much finer than a Marlin's original casehardened colors.
Of course the side eject feature has always been a major plus!
Once upon a time I'd add price, but this has become less of a difference as years go by. Today's early Marlins bring close to, or more than a equivalent Wrenchester.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I guess I've always pulled for the underdogs. Marlin was way out produced back in the day but still managed to hang in there.
Since I've started shooting BP in CAS ease of takedown for cleaning has really made me appreciate them more. I shoot a .45 CB in CAS but was looking for a .44-40 or .38-40. When I stumbled on the '88 I just bought. I have been told by 3 out of 4 people NOT to use the '88 in competition. The one that didn't say not to use it had never heard of an '88 Marlin.
The originals are every bit as beautiful a piece of work as any Wrenchtester. But, Jimmy Stewart and his '73 just didn't do as much for me as Marilyn Monroe did with Robert Mitchum's '94 in River of No Return.

C.S.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi All,

It's been a while since I had time to visit the sight. I was making sure I would have the means to fund my addiction ... old marlins!

I want to be original but all the right reasons to love Marlins more than other repeaters have been stated.

So here's a few wrong reasons ...

1. My dad collects Winchesters and my brother collects Mausers so I had to be diferent ...

2. Since you can still buy a Marlin "beater" for under a grand there's always a good source for parts ...

3. Anything named after a "smelly fish" can't be all bad :wink:

4. Anything named after an anal MASH doctor can't be all good

5. I can move through a gun show much quicker when my focus is on Marlins because only 1 in ten tables has a Marlin as opposed to 10 "other repeaters" per table.

6. People don't ooh and ahh when I mention Marlin

7. I love taking my guns to the range and hearing "nice winchester is it a 30-30?"

8. Since there's only one well known book on Marlin history there's very little debate by the experts

9. I love reading the "mistakes" made by sellers unfamiliar with Marlin, such as listing a model 97 as a takedown 1891, or mistaking the 4 digit serial number on a Model 93 as a gun manufactured in 1883.

10. And my number one reason for loving Marlins more than the "other repeaters" ... the members of this board are as addicted to Marlin as me and that makes me feel just a little normal ... NOT:D

Seriously, it's a pleasure to be around like minded individuals even if it's only a few minutes each evening (unless I'm working 24/7 to pay for my habit).

Glad to be back.

Jeff
Arizona - the relatively free state!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Marlin's just have a cetain " Panache", you see Wrenchchester's everywhere, Marlin's are harder to come by making it more exciting when you do come across one.......Buck 8) :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I took my Marlin 27/27-S turkey scouting this morning, and what a pleasure to carry!! :D The designs are better thought out, and something I really appreciated this morning - the solid top allows much less rain in the receiver. SW

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Still made in USA.

Levers work well for people who shoot left handed.

The look and feel of the straight stock and octagonal barrel on the cowboy versions.

·
Registered
579 Posts
They have class and had the coolest advertising. The Marlin Man in particular. I remember an ad is a 1905-1910 magazine in the old farmhouse that was touting Marlin hammer shotguns and it said " fast second shots!, get the cripples" and used to crack me up. I grew up around a lot of winnies and I just like being as little different. moodyholler

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used to own a good selection of Winchesters, a nice 38-40 1873, 32-20 1873, a 1892 carbine and rifle both in 38-40, and two 1892 44-40's, one made in 1894 with about 90% blue still left and an excellent bore and ALL the varnish, the other from 1917 with a PERFECT bore! That one made in 1894 was close to new! I shot all of them and they were all accurate and nice guns. However, I was a lover of Marlin 1889's before I ever shot a Winchester, and after a while, I looked at my pile and said to myself "I could buy more Marlins if I sold these darn things and I wouldn't have to always clean my guns from the front end!" Sold off all the Winchesters and never looked back. Like my Dad says, the day the 1889 came out, the Winchester 1873 (and probably the 1892 as well) were obsolete. That darn 1889 was so well designed and simple, and so was the 1894 ect. that Winchesters just look overly complicated and poorly designed by comparison. In the old west I would have bought a Winchester only if I couldn't find a Marlin :) Actually, if it was between a Colt Lightning and an 1873, I might have went with the Colt as they were lighter than the 1873 winchester too!

·
Registered
719 Posts
collect????

:shock: i started because of finding a poor broken down 1888......then a 1893~then some 22's, then a couple 1894's...then a shotgun or two....some stayed, some got fixed, some left me....i just like EVERYTHING that goes boom really.....but the case colors are nice, and the smooth 94' action. :idea:
i think i stay around too because i like my friends here :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts