Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting to get mine but in anticipation I wanted to ask what is it that makes you want one with all the other calibers available? To me it was the fact that it was the only "Guide Gun" configuration I didn't have therefor I wanted to complete a set.

Am I gunna like this caliber? Will I deer hunt with it over the big bores that I have?

What do you use yours for, what is your connection to the caliber and style of rifle?

Thank you,

1895Gunner

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I own over a dozen Marlins, never really wanted a .35. Last year, Jake let on that the .35 Rem 336 in the picture was available on GB. I got it and love it. I have shot 1 inch at 100 with gummies. I can't deer hunt here in Ohio with it, so all I shoot with it is RD cast at 100 yards at the plate in the picture.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
gunner, i had one many years back out in nebraska. i shot a nice young forked horn at about 60 yds. turned it around and sat it down. i was impressed. wish i had that one back, like a lot of others. lee

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
It's a very efficient, over acheiving cartridge with mild recoil. Been used on deer and elk here in Montana with enough smack to put meat on the table. I just don't see many for sale here, I bought the first used one I saw a few years ago, ordered another one from Wally World after I found out how much I liked it cause I couldn't find another one used. Then I lucked into getting a 35 rem barrel for my Contender. Still have dreams of getting one in the XLR, but need to get rid of some first. (No, not Marlins :eek:). Been doing it's job for around a century, no reason to think it won't keep doing it for a few more decades at least. DP

·
Registered
522 Posts
I only have three 336's in 35 Remington, but I don't consider the 35 Remington anything special. Just a good working cartridge within it's limitations and really matches up nice in a 336. A friend of mine used to take his anual elk with one, but I haven't shot any with mine, have too many other better chamberings for that. Also have a Contender barrel in 35 Remington.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Back in the summer of 87' when I was look'n for a rifle to start deer hunt'n with, one the boys suggested a Marlin 336 in .35Rem instead of a 30-30 because it had more punch. It was also within my price range for what I had to spend.... unlike the Browning BLR in .308 that I wanted and could not afford. Well, being young and naive(clueless) at the time and not even knowing what a .35 was, I took the advice and went to the Buckorama at the Ga world Congress Center and bought a brand new in the box 336CS in .35REm. The rest is history. Funny thing is, I never took a deer with it until Dec 2009 ???, however, my younger brother to a spike horned buck with it when it was new ::)

The paper ballistics ain't gonna impress anyone. You have to hunt with it and harvest game to see for yourself ;)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Nothing really special about it but it just plain works. It doesnt kick much but still has the energy to put a deer down quickly with good blood trails.

Its also easy to reload for and it has been easy on brass. The only downside has been the increasing cost of 35 cal bullets relative to 30 cal bullets.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm new to the .35Rem, having bought mine in late 2009. I had an 1894 in .44Mag since about 1981, so I knew I wanted another Marlin, I just needed to choose between the 35 or the 30-30. After reading the forum talk for several months, and studying my reloading manuals, I decided the .35 was going to be my choice. It has a tad more velocity and energy, and of course opens a wider hole on entry and exit. It's been a joy to reload and shoot.

Within the last few days, I won a Gun Broker auction for an '80s model 336 in 30-30. So, the process begins again ((:)D)))

This .35Rem has a Busnell ELite 2-7x32 on it.

This is an earlier photo. It has an old Weaver K4 (4x power) scope on it)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Special? Well.... like others said, not really. But for some strange reason, I and many others love it. I think there is a nostalgia about it similar to the 45-70. It's not a speed demon or powerhouse. It's not a flat shooter either. But, kinda like the 30-30, within it's limits it'll flat knock the dog snot out of most critters. It's got some marvelous trait of being low in recoil but heavy in knockdown. It won't tear up the meat in a critter you shoot and it won't tear up your shoulder when ya do it. My 9 year old boy got his first one last fall and was able to easily shoot an entire box of shells in one sitting at the bench. About half way through the second box he'd finally had enough but I was very pleased both with the accuracy and his ability to handle it.

The 35 is to lever guns what the 308 or 30-06 is to bolt guns. They just kinda go together for most folks and do about everything you could ask of it within the bounds of common sense. It might just become your new favorite....

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
I'm also new to the .35 but it has quickly become one of my favorite cartridges because its cheap to reload, accurate and easy on the shoulder. Here are a couple of mine including a 336SS-LTD and a 336XLR, both chambered in .35 Remington. The XLR was a project discussed on another thread but is now designated '35XSR' due to the 18.5" barrel and full-length magazine tube. Most of what I shoot is cast reloads and the Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF shows great potential in both guns.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've been hunting with one for about 20 yrs. now and sapose I will for the next 20,it wont do anything your big bores wont do but they shure are fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
You know I am a 35 Remington aficionado, and own sever rifles in 35 Remington. I used one since 1966 and it's never failed to kill deer. I like it because I reload and I have a wide variety of handloads, from 150 gr, 158 gr, 180 gr, 200 gr and 220 grain. I load what most people consider +P ammo, using AA2520 powder, and pushing all of the projectiles faster than factory. It's not necessary, but it's what I do.

I have a 336 RC, 336C, 336 SC, 336A, and a 760 Remington all in 35 Remington.

Now all that being said, I still think the 338 ME is the much better choice if you are going for a mid-bore lever gun. If the 338 had been around in 1966 when I bought my first 35 Remington, I probably would have never bought a 30-06.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
The .30-30 is the classic, penultimate American deer cartridge, but, if the .35 Remington had come out first, the .30-30 would never have become so popular. The .35 just packs more mustard with no appreciable recoil. Quoting from the Speer Loading Manual #14, "Usually chambered in light, handy carbines, the .35 Remington is a better hunting cartridge than the .30-30. Although "paper ballistics" show little difference, the .35 Remington handles heavier bullets for deeper penetration."

There is something about the .35 that defies definition, I guess I'm speaking of the intangibles. The .35 just inspires a great deal of confidence in those who use it. It just feels better in my hands. The .30-30 is a fine cartridge, but there's just something about the .35 that speaks to me.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Now you're talking....... ;D ;D 8)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I am definitely a .35 rem fan. I use my scoped version primarily for deer hunting in NY and VT. Nowadays most people do think the .35 rem is a little different. I can't tell you how many times other hunters have wanted to check out my "3030" before I tell them it is a 35 Rem. It has a relatively mild kick compared to the bolt guns my hunting buddies use, like the 30-06, 308, 7mm and such. Not the to mention I just like having something a little different ;D

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
1895Gunner said:
I'm waiting to get mine but in anticipation I wanted to ask what is it that makes you want one with all the other calibers available? To me it was the fact that it was the only "Guide Gun" configuration I didn't have therefor I wanted to complete a set.

Am I gunna like this caliber? Will I deer hunt with it over the big bores that I have?

What do you use yours for, what is your connection to the caliber and style of rifle?

Thank you,

1895Gunner
I'll be damned if I know. I ended up with 3 of them somehow but never even shoot them. I shot one a couple times but thats it. I bought the first one because I didn't have one, I bought the second one because it was a 336A and I didn't have one. I was given the third one........
because somebody else couldn't figure out what to do with it either. :D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some great feedback and thank you for the pictures. Hal, you are a 35 Remmie wildman! I guess I'm getting just a bit more pumped up now..... Good stuff, keep it coming please.

EDITED: Leverdude, that there is funny.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts