Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is involved in rebarreling a .450 Guide Gun to a 45-70SS (22" barrel)?

Assuming that I have only the Guide Gun and the barrel. Right now, just an academic question.

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Re: What is involved in rebarreling a .450 Guide Gun to a 45-70SS (22" barrel)?

I would think...only the bolt and barrel, but I'm no expert! Tomray...

·
Registered
209 Posts

Sell your 450 and buy a 45-70. Why pull your pants down to pull up your socks.

·
Registered
175 Posts

I wanted to do some barrel swapping similar to that a few years ago. You can do it but you will have to go to a gunsmith and have a custom barrel made.

The reason you can't use Marlin factory barrels is because the 1895 in 45-70 has "U" cut threads and the 1895 in 450 are "V" cut threads and more of them as well as a slightly different metallurgy in the receiver combined together, the 450 is a bit stronger i.e. max chamber pressure of 43,000 psi vs. 32K psi for the 45-70. This info is directly from a Marlin factory gunsmith I was able to talk to.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Ah ha! Different barrel threads. I didn't know that, but that makes sense. Oh, and the .45-70 receiver has a notch cut out in the ejection port too, to clear the .45-70's large rims. The .450 receiver doesn't have that notch. I like the .450 better anyway. It's the most powerful non-magnum big bore cartridge available. So really, if you want a .45-70, trade the .450 for a .45-70. It would be a whole lot more economical than modifying the .450.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Better yet, why trade. Just buy a 45-70! ;D

·
Registered
209 Posts

m3taco said:
Better yet, why trade. Just buy a 45-70! ;D
Better yet. Marlinitus with a pair. That just means you'll have to shoot both but it will be tough trying to select which one your going to hunt with.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Armymark said:
Better yet. Marlinitus with a pair. That just means you'll have to shoot both but it will be tough trying to select which one your going to hunt with.
Better still - John Wayne style....put a "Big Loop" lever on each one and one in each hand!!! :eek: ;D

·
Registered
83 Posts

wreckhog said:
Assuming that I have only the Guide Gun and the barrel. Right now, just an academic question.
What is the reasoning behind it?
Cheers...
Con

·
Premium Member
492 Posts

After all is said and done, you're better off selling your 450 and buying a 45-70. I'm guessing your doing this because of the lack of ammo selection.

·
Registered
175 Posts

If it is a lack of factory loaded ammo get into reloading - limitless possibilities.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I am totally against dumping the .450 Marlin. If Marlin makes something that is better, or more useful, we here should do our best to support Marlin's good ideas, if we really want to see such good ideas survive the marketplace. It's not easy, but with demand comes supply. That's the way it works.

There is a really nice 336 .30-30 down at a local pawn shop, and it's not too expensive either, but it's not exactly what I want. I was gonna get it, but for a few dollars more, I can get a nice .450 or roll the dice and buy a .338. Those are exactly what I want and I have decided to pass on the 336 .30-30 and go for what I really want from Marlin. It would help me. It would help them. That's 2 wins for the price of one! Yeah!

·
Registered
90 Posts

ihunter338 said:
After all is said and done, you're better off selling your 450 and buying a 45-70. I'm guessing your doing this because of the lack of ammo selection.
I would never sell a .450Marlin to buy a .45-70. :eek:
I'm a reloader and the .450Marlin is a cartridge for those who reload until more factory ammo becomes available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts