Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2- 444ss to sell but I don't want to gouge anybody. What is a fair price to ask on MO. One has a magnaported barrel, bluing ex++ couple of small wood dings. The other one has a small spot on top of barrel more wood dings and grip cap has some issues. I will work on getting them posted next week because I came out of retirement to work for 5 weeks for some gun and scope money and too tired and hot when I get home. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR SOME REALISTIC IDEAS FOR PRICING THESE JM STAMPED 444SS.

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
i think you should just give them to me!!!:ahhhhh:

$400-500 without seeing the pictures. maybe more.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
444 rifles are bringing a huge premium in OH due to the new law allowing deer hunters to use them. 650.00 easy here

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I'd P.M. Schtoolee and Buffalo Jake about prices. Both know their 444 Marlins. Tom corrected me when I use to think these were $550.00 - $650.00 rifles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Like cattle they keep going "higher higher higher' as Evan Slack would say. Seems JM stamped ones are most desirable. I almost think the ballard rifled cross bolt ones are more popular.(Not me....I like microgrooved straight grip old school) I would ask at least $625. IMO

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The only drawback of a 444 is that AFAIK there is no commercial ammunition available for that caliber. Reloaders that can get brass don't have a problem with that, but people like me that have not taken up reloading would pass.

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The only drawback of a 444 is that AFAIK there is no commercial ammunition available for that caliber. Reloaders that can get brass don't have a problem with that, but people like me that have not taken up reloading would pass.

Mike T.
Hornady and Remington offer factory ammo on a regular basis.
Buffalo Bore and a few other 'boutique' manufacturers also have specialty loads regularly available.

Of course, we are not experiencing 'regular' circumstances at the moment, so availability is not so great. Remington did just run a bunch of their 240 SP load, though; and Hornady's 265 FP loads should also be along shortly.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
That ammo must be as scarce as Hen's teeth. I had contacted a guy that had a Marlin 444 Stainless NIB some months ago. He wanted $650.00 here in central PA. When I went searching for ammo I was unable to find any from my usual sources. I contacted the seller and he offered me ammo he had for the rifle but wanted $$$ for it over the selling price that I thought was already higher than I would pay for it. NIB is certainly of more value, but I have passed on firearms that did not have commercial ammo available. I realize that there are numerous other folks on this site that have their own ammunition assembly line and they would look upon a 444 as a good to go. Folks that have them love it, and that says a lot.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: erimort

·
Registered
57 Posts
idk
That ammo must be as scarce as Hen's teeth. I had contacted a guy that had a Marlin 444 Stainless NIB some months ago. He wanted $650.00 here in central PA. When I went searching for ammo I was unable to find any from my usual sources. I contacted the seller and he offered me ammo he had for the rifle but wanted $$$ for it over the selling price that I thought was already higher than I would pay for it. NIB is certainly of more value, but I have passed on firearms that did not have commercial ammo available. I realize that there are numerous other folks on this site that have their own ammunition assembly line and they would look upon a 444 as a good to go. Folks that have them love it, and that says a lot.
Several gun shops in altoona and johnstown typically have 444 ammo. Its expensive and limited to remington and hornady LE ammo but it can be found. Dunhams in altoona and johnstown both had the hornady LE ammo a couple of weeks ago, can't remember the price.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
25,166 Posts
I can find 444 Marlin ammo anytime at my LGS--same for 35 Rem. It is expensive but I really like the round. I would look through the old MO sale threads here for 444s and also the online sale sites. Don't forget regional online sites too. Pick a price after doing your research--then list it here.

Reactions: 44 OLD GUY

·
Registered
839 Posts
I can find 444 Marlin ammo anytime at my LGS--same for 35 Rem. It is expensive but I really like the round. I would look through the old MO sale threads here for 444s and also the online sale sites. Don't forget regional online sites too. Pick a price after doing your research--then list it here.
If your back in Remington, you're likely talking about Clark Brothers, then yes you can get it and yes it's expensive. I still love walking around that place.

To the OP, from what I've seen on GB leads me to believe anything under $2k is a steal. :biggrin:

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The local Academy Sports stocks 444 Marlin at $38/box for Remington 240 grain. LGS has it for $43/box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn't have any trouble getting 5 boxes of Hornady gummie tips from Cabelas. I decided to try the 240 Rems as well and i had to backorder a wait for 5 boxes them for about a month. If it ever does cool off down here i plan to test both then decide which to use.
As far as a fair price i have seen most used selling from $550-650. I guess if you put it on an auction site and someone bids on it you wouldn't be gouging anyone as they are setting the price not you.

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
I'll be watching this thread because as much as I like my 444s its been a safe queen for more then 30 years just a trip to the range now and then. Bought it in 1973 and its a 1972 made. Throughout the years I might have fired less than 400 rounds through it. I'm getting on with years and must start thinning the collection. Please no PM I'll not answer them.

T:( NY

Reactions: erimort and dhansen

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I am working for one more week so its not getting done this week. Did check at LGS on shipping a gun to someones FFL and writing up description of said 444ss. Both 444ss are 1990 DOM so they are micro-grooved rifled. Besides Marlinitis I am afflicted with Smith & Wessonitis so a new 44 special rode home with me today. I guess I am just a sucker for anything 44 caliber.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I have 2- 444ss to sell but I don't want to gouge anybody. What is a fair price to ask on MO. One has a magnaported barrel, bluing ex++ couple of small wood dings. The other one has a small spot on top of barrel more wood dings and grip cap has some issues. I will work on getting them posted next week because I came out of retirement to work for 5 weeks for some gun and scope money and too tired and hot when I get home. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR SOME REALISTIC IDEAS FOR PRICING THESE JM STAMPED 444SS.
I'd do some due diligence and see what they are selling for on the auction sights to be honest. Not what people are asking, but what they are honestly bringing, what their market value is, on the auction sights.

I know that is going to make some people cringe because they are going for high prices right now ... but doggonit, nothing tells what the market will bear like an auction IMHO.

Now, if you just want to make sure it is going to go to a good home, which it will if someone here on the MO buys it, then ask what you feel comfortable asking and let the chips fall where they may. No one here is going to pass judgement on you by gosh and if you offer it too cheap it'll go the moment you hit the post message button ... and you'll feel like you left money on the table.

Nothing wrong with being a good horse trader friend.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Most are in the 450-800 range ... When I see them around at all...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts