Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After checking the Ranch Dog website it looks like he's got another run of these molds coming in, and I have a birthday coming up in about 6 weeks. ;D I got his 100 grain .380 mold for Christmas and it works so well that I want to move up and start loading full power hunting loads using cast boolits in my Marlin 336SS in 30-30. I have all the equipment that I need because I've been reloading a lot of plinking loads using a Lee 150 RF boolit with a flat base.

What I'm really looking to hear is which powder and charge gives the best results from the guys who use this mold to feed their Marlins. The website is great and he lists loads for just about any powder that you might have. I'm starting fresh and I don't use any of these powders yet. Even though he lists load data for about 45 different gunpowders, everything I use is either too fast for pistols, or too slow for my 30-06. Common sense just tells me that just because a powder is listed and it can work, it doesn't mean that it's the best choice. I've seen that quite a few people use IMR3031, 4895, BL-C2, and several of the Reloader powders. I'm hoping that I can pick the brains of some of you. Is there a powder or two that's a little more forgiving with this boolit? I don't mind working up a good load, I actually enjoy it. I just don't want to make the mistake of buying a powder that's known to cause fits with cast boolits and micro-groove Marlin barrels. I appreciate any info that I can get, and thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have had good results with Varget, IMR 8208 XBR, and H4198.
I like the economy of H4198, but my next 8# jug will be IMR8208XBR because it works so well in 308 Winchester, 257 Roberts, and 45-70. It is just a little smother flowing in the powder measure than Varget.
All these seem to work well with the 100 degree temperature variation we have here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts