Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking the bluing looks new (ok very little wear), including the loading gate. Wood looks great and it is the pre safety model with the single dovetail sight behind the front barrel band.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I couldn't stand it and chance not getting it. Big website just got it in under their New Items and I didn't see it lasting long so I called and got it on 90 day layaway. $895 seemed like a decent enough deal for me. Can count at least 4 years that I know of I've waited for this moment and gun.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the condition of the bluing I think I can overlook that. But I agree with you there. This one is going to be my shooter.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Well I couldn't stand it and chance not getting it. Big website just got it in under their New Items and I didn't see it lasting long so I called and got it on 90 day layaway. $895 seemed like a decent enough deal for me. Can count at least 4 years that I know of I've waited for this moment and gun.

At $895, you will certainly not lose any money on that deal!
Great rifle at a stellar price.
Andrew

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
I’m much tighter dealer than most on the forum. If I wanted that gun at $895 I would buy it. Kept in good shape you may not gain but you won’t loose either. I don’t like to operate that way but I just did with a Savage 99. I paid top dollar and there is no room to make a buck but I won’t loose either.

Already talk about Marlin ( Remlin ) prices going up because of Rem going belly up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice rifle! The money would have burned a hole in my pocket. I wouldn't want to wait the 90 days!

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Congrats. Nice rifle at a reasonable price. Looking at the position of the rear swivel in the picture, it may be that Bubba used the bullseye to mount the rear swivel. Would have to see it in person. Either way, it's a good price for a pre-safety .357. A little bit of stock work and she'll be cherry. With a carefully chosen walnut dowel and the right stain, the front swivel mount can be repaired almost invisible.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats. Nice rifle at a reasonable price. Looking at the position of the rear swivel in the picture, it may be that Bubba used the bullseye to mount the rear swivel. Would have to see it in person. Either way, it's a good price for a pre-safety .357. A little bit of stock work and she'll be cherry. With a carefully chosen walnut dowel and the right stain, the front swivel mount can be repaired almost invisible.
Do you have the skills to rework the stock? I was thinking about refinishing it anyways.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Do you have the skills to rework the stock? I was thinking about refinishing it anyways.
Contact member rjtmac. He is THE gunstock restoration expert.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The front swivel in the forearm looks to be installed OK and correctly. If you're going to shoot it alot and use a sling, you're all set. I wouldn't try and change it or fill in the hole to make the rifle ' original" at this time.
Remember...gun prices take TIME to appriecate in value.Give it 5 to 10 years and you' ll be damn happy
You purchased that Marlin.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks like Bubba got to the stock before you. The wood to metal fit around the tang, particularly around the left side, looks over sanded for a refinish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Looks like Bubba got to the stock before you. The wood to metal fit around the tang, particularly around the left side, looks over sanded for a refinish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, you can tell by the grain in the photos that the stock hasn't been sanded. Plus to be as sanded as you are talking the butt plate wouldn't be as true as it is and evidence would also be at the handguard band.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts