Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 25yds isn't long range by any means but it's too hot to outdoor shoot now in Phoenix. So I hit the indoor range with my 795 today. First off it's my first rifle ever, I have only been shooting for about 6 months or so now. I modified my 795 with a dip trigger and picatiny rail. The trigger is way nicer than the factory. It has a 3-9x centerpoint scope with mildot rectical from walmart. It holds zero pretty well, it used to slide back before I installed the dip rail.

My 2 best 10 shot groups of the day were just under the size of a dime at 25 yards (as far as the indoor range goes). The one group is actually 9 shots with 1 flyer off to the side I didn't count. It's the smallest not counting the flyer but I call it my 2nd best of the day. The best was slightly larger than the other, but all ten in the dime sized hole. Most groups I would say averaged about a quarter sized all pretty similar except for when I screwed up and jerked the rifle etc. I was shooting off a bag to stabilize the rifle and the table height was less than ideal since the range no longer allows people to adjust them anymore.

So is that pretty good? I know when I was shooting standing up with no support the groups jumped to around a 5" circle on average i would guess, which I know I need to improve on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't worry to much about group size as long as I can keep my groups within the 1" orange sticky dots at 25 yards with my peep sights from the setting position and with the use of a sling. Granted, from the bench smaller groups are going to come and 3/8 to 1/2 inch 5 shot groups are IMHO very acceptable. Ammo that performs best in your rifle has a lot to do with grouping as well. Bottom line is that the more you practice, the better your groups will become from all shooting positions.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Ef4life in Phoenix you couldn't break a sweat in the sun ;D ;D ;D You just keep shooting and when you buy ammo by different brands. My 22's like Wolf extra match but one likes federal classic another hates it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That the kind of groups you need to be shooting :)

One thing that will help the standing/freehand positions is Strength...the more you have, the easier it is to hold still :)
Legs & arms & torso all cooperate with you to help your shooting to be as precise as possible.

If you've been in the military, just do what you did in Boot, it works like a charm for your entire life :)
If you've not, grab a Billy Blanks or P90 Extreme DVD and go to it ;)

After you get some power behind you, then you take a page from Archers...most specifically, the book "Zen and the Art of Archery".
You confine your movement to an Measured Up & Down movement, zero side-to-side.
This gives you ONE plane to work from.
Instead of a shotgun pattern, you will have an up/down pattern inside the circle.
You then work on your control so that everything falls within a quarter, then you work on a dime, then a thumbtack at 25 yards.
You work your consistancy until you shoot the same way, every time, every shot, any rifle/pistol/shotgun, any sighting system.
That's it.

The above technique still works if you are a weakling, but not quite as well. Strength is the Key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts