Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sittin' here at my desk having lunch looking at the forums and started to wonder!!!!

As some of you know the founder of Bushmaster has started another company at the old Bushmaster plant. There was another thread that mentioned the folks from Marlin doing the same at the now vacant Marlin facility. That got me to wondering.

I wonder if there would be a market for a better built Marlin in a better selection of calibers. Sure, most of us love the 30-30 and 35 Remington, but what about some others. I wonder if a lever action company could thrive by offering a bunch of calibers from 219 Zipper all the way up to 50 Alaskan. My favorite, the 7-30 Waters, comes to mind. I know that several different "authorities" have said that most of the cartridges discontinued are not needed, but have you checked the prices of a used .307 Win or .356 Win on Gunbroker?

Just thinking out loud. I wouldn't think the market is as saturated as the AR market is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've considered that of late myself...They would not be able to use the Marlin or Winchester name but if they stayed true to the original intent and made 'em out of real steel and wood...and put 'em together right the first time, I bet there would be a market...just like the folks up in Big Timber cranking out 100 plus year old technology...it would be worth it...for that matter a company like USFA could do it...all it takes is a machine shop...the knowledge and people who really care about what they do. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that would be a great idea. There's many of us who are new to the Marlin addiction that this would appeal too. (Not to mention those who are well entrenched in the addiction). I picked up a '62 336 and love it (my first lever gun), that led me to buy a new 336BL which is currently at Marlin for repair as it was not up to par as delivered new. Out of frustration with that, the two levers I have on order are both Rossi (357 and 44). I'd love to stick with the Marlin brand, but I won't with my current experience. (not to say I won't pick a good one up used if I see one). If a new company were formed in the US that provided a quality rifle for a reasonable price, they'd get my business first. A good variety of calibers would be a bonus.

PLammer

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Hmm, yeah, I could see it...22 mag, 307 Win, 356 Win, 375 Win, .38-55 Win, .25-35 WCF, 7-30 Waters, .32 Special, etc. The .30-30 and .35 Rem would still be the big sellers, I imagine.

I'm just hoping Remington gets their act together, not only with the Marlins but the Remingtons and H&Rs.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I mean, c'mon, look at how many calibers Ruger currently chambers the No. 1 for:

6.5 Creedmoor
.30-06 Sprg.
.308 Win.
.243 Win.
.270 Win.
.300 RCM
.303 British
.22-250 Rem
.223 Rem
.25-06 Rem
.300 Win. Mag
.300 H&H
.338 RCM
9.3 x 74R
.375 Ruger
.45-70 Gov't.
.460 S&W Mag
.475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger
.458 Lott
.375 H&H
.416 Ruger
450/400 Nitro Express
7 x 57 Mauser
.257 Roberts

And that's just current production, and doesn't include other chamberings they have ran before such as the .30-40 Krag, .30-30, etc.

Granted it's a single shot. But still, making a few different chamberings for Marlins with the same parent case shouldn't be too hard ;D

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
That's gonna take lotsa $$$$ to make that happen. Although I'd love too see it...

Although not firearm related, when the Schwinn Bicycle Co got bought out in late 1994, they new ownership closed down the Waterford shop which produced all of the handbuilt Schwinn Paramounts for racing use. Richard Schwinn and the workers pooled their funds and bought the shop from the new owners and continued under the Waterford Cycles name. Same high end bikes, different name.....

·
Banned
400 Posts
A 460 S&W lever gun would be the ultimate lever gun. It wouldn't be feasible for the manufacture though as you'd really only need one rifle then. You could down load 45 LCs for critters as small as rabbits (might be a little big but you could) all the way up to full power 460s that could take just about any critter on earth.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
For Marlin employees to do that, they'd have to start from scratch for equipment. The buildings are still there but all the equipment was shipped to NY and KY.

Right now, the best quality non custom lever guns are the Henry's and Uberti's. (Best design you can argue about, but I'm talking quality here). And only the Henry's are made in the US. Their new 30-30 is all steel, straight grip like a Texan and comes out of the box with XS ghost ring sights. It has a fore end cap instead of a barrel band and is in the weight range of a 336.

Since Rossi makes a lever based on the Marlin design and Remington still makes marlins, not sure where their target Market would be, unless they went together with Hornady and produced a new line based on the Marlin express idea with 270's, 243's, and maybe a 308 or 7mm backed by the 338MX brass.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Make a 94 Marlin with the round bolt like the 336, no ejection port to make the action stronger (tube mag like a .22 rimfire) and offer a few items like the .357 Max and Casull.

Marlin made a few prototypes of the round bolt 1894 but was nixed for production.

Another was the .250 Savage, and .223 on the 336 action.

My bottom line is a .22 K Hornet in a 1894 action with 24 inch octagon bbl and mag tube.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
swany said:
Make a 94 Marlin with the round bolt like the 336, no ejection port to make the action stronger (tube mag like a .22 rimfire) and offer a few items like the .357 Max and Casull. .....
No ejection port? That would really gum up the works, wouldn't it? Perchance, you meant no loading gate?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I would support a new American manufacturer that would make high quality rifles in most any caliber. I sure like Swanys idea of the 22 K Hornet, 22 Hornet would also work for me. 8) 8) ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts