Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Lee Factory Crimp Die for Hornady LVR brass?

• I would consider such a die useful

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Don't need it

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Not sure, I'd need to know more

Votes: 4 14.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering what you all think of Lee producing a LFCD for the shorter LVR brass. I know, one can accomplish this by shaving 0.15" off the bottom of the 444 LFCD, but I bet most people would rather buy one that is made proper length from the factory.
You could load any bullet in the shorter brass, seat to the proper COL and crimp with a Lee LVR LFCD. It would make the brass seem a lot less useless.
I know a lot of you are beyond needing such a die at this point when you wont be shooting any Hornady LVR ammo anyways, but for those who want to buy LVR ammo, it could be useful.
Another point, Hornady's seat/crimp die does not like oversized cast bullets as they stick in the sleeve. The LVR LFCD would make loading cast bullets into the short brass a lot easier and possibly advantageous for the super heavy cast bullets.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Add to your list from Lee .432, .433, sizer dies as well. I could use a few extra!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starrbow, I knew you wouldn't have much need for the crimp die. Their custom order is shut down again as they are still having difficulty catching up with demand.
This will not be just for the 444, but ultimately for all the calibers that Hornady had to shorten case length to fit the FTX bullet. The 308 and 338 Marlins do not need it as case length was built around the pointed bullets from the start. The 45/70 would get it for sure.

The bottom line, is a person can use the shorter brass and load about any bullet and seat to proper COL. Then a person uses the LVR series LFCD to put the crimp on the bullet. Right now, people avoid the LVR ammo from Hornady because there isn't much you can do with the brass. Some folk have shaved the bottom of the regular LFCD to get it to work with the shorter brass, but I am confident that the idea would appeal to more people if they could order the right length of crimp die for the short brass. When seated to the same COL, it shouldn't make any difference what length of brass you use because the bullet's fit to chamber and throat doesn't change.
The only two issues are 1) wouldn't work well on shorter bullets like 240gr and below, because crimping 0.150" below standard crimp height, will not allow enough bullet in the case behid the crimp. That is, if you subscribe to the idea that you need X amount of bullet in case (many say equal to caliber).
2) Some have questioned whether shooting the shorter brass can lead to pre-mature erosion of the throat. I can't answer to this except to say I have not heard of this actually happening because of the shorter brass.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I remove my shell holder to crimp. Standard RCBS dies. Press has opening for primer/feed. So setting off primer is not really an issue. If careful. The crimp zone is still right at the full length of the die. So removing it from the die takes just a slight pry with a blade. The area that gets crimped is only slight amount of brass length. So it is not really that stuck. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
If they make them for you just include a washer of proper thickness to use with normal length brass. That way it will work for both!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd rather have two dies than a short one and a washer. If you ever forgot to drop the washer over the case you'd be crimping below the case mouth. At least as I'm picturing things in my head, the washer would have to sit on top of the shell holder to space things out right.

Maybe they could make a short collet that would work in the same die body? That, or a special shell holder for using the short crimping die with regular length brass.

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I remove my shell holder to crimp. Standard RCBS dies. Press has opening for primer/feed. So setting off primer is not really an issue. If careful. The crimp zone is still right at the full length of the die. So removing it from the die takes just a slight pry with a blade. The area that gets crimped is only slight amount of brass length. So it is not really that stuck. Just my 2 pennies worth.
What you need is a blank shell holder.

The "primer punch pusher" from the Lyman ram prime tool is just the ticket. They're $1 apiece, with something like $7 shipping (for up to 10). So, it's best to buy 10 and sell (or give) them to fellow reloaders.

Call: 1-800-22-LYMAN
Lyman part number 7990384 - "Primer Punch Pusher" for the "Ram Prime Die".

(Unless you have a problem with high primers, you shouldn't ever set one off - and even if you do have a problem with high primers, a flat surface should just seat them flush.)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've been intouch with Lee concering this issue,plus for the 45/70 as well since last year.They kept saying,email us next month or so-nothing as of this month.I know they're aware of this delima us FTX reloaders are facing.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
IMO, the LeverEvolution ammo in .444 was Hornady's answer to a question that was never asked, although, it was the initial reason I started handloading since I couldn't find any Light Mag.

The Light Mag ammo was well liked, performed well for those who wanted factory ammo, and handloaders had the other end of the spectrum pretty well figgured out.

Pushing the LE ammo to the front of production and putting the #4300 265FP on the back burner had me questioning my loyalty to Hornady for a while, but I'm back now.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If they make them for you just include a washer of proper thickness to use with normal length brass. That way it will work for both!
maybe redesign the seating depth screw for more reach, then you don't have worry about losing the washer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Actually I was mistaken as to the priming slot. When you remove the shell holder it leaves a void in the ram surface. The only danger was that there could be a danger. I was just suggesting to be careful. Raised primers should be removed and set properly. Below grade.
As for a different shell holder. The thickness of the part of shell holder that holds back on the rim is what I eliminated by removing the holder. The shell holder also keeps cartridge centered to die. So you have to be careful and keep it centered when raising the shell for crimp. I just did 25 rounds and all but 3 I could use my fingernail to unstick from the crimp die. And a blade was used on the three without a mark on the cases. But when flicking out of the die the hole cartridge is in Free Fall, so put your other hand under to catch it. Rams down, cartridge is still up in die. Flick with blade or fingernail. Cartridge falls free. Put your hand under it before it frees and falls.

What you need is a blank shell holder.

The "primer punch pusher" from the Lyman ram prime tool is just the ticket. They're $1 apiece, with something like $7 shipping (for up to 10). So, it's best to buy 10 and sell (or give) them to fellow reloaders.

Call: 1-800-22-LYMAN
Lyman part number 7990384 - "Primer Punch Pusher" for the "Ram Prime Die".

(Unless you have a problem with high primers, you shouldn't ever set one off - and even if you do have a problem with high primers, a flat surface should just seat them flush.)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Avoiding the LVR ammo would be easy for me as I have 8 different cast bullet molds for my 444 needs. Every cast bullet I use (at this point) are designed for standard length brass.
As has been alluded to already, Hornady wants to standardize the gummy tips and they therefor produce a lot more 444 LVR ammo than they do the excellent Superperfomance 444 ammo. The LVR ammo, is often times, the only 444 ammo a person is going to find available. Now that Marlin has brought back the 444 and new models will still have the 1/20 Ballard barrels, it is not likely Hornady is going to retreat from their initiative. I really feel that the biggest benefactors of the new crimp dies would be the new and future 444 shooters.
It is true that there are quite a few cartridges that are graced with LVR ammo's short brass that could benefit from a LVR line of crimp dies for all those cartridges. The idea, ultimately, is for any levergun cartridges that have short brass from LVR ammo.

·
Banned
327 Posts
This may be somewhat off topic...and I'm clueless about reloading anyhthing, but won't one of those old lee loaders you tap with a hammer work with the short brass for a 444??

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
This may be somewhat off topic...and I'm clueless about reloading anyhthing, but won't one of those old lee loaders you tap with a hammer work with the short brass for a 444??
Yes, I have reloaded this round with the Lee Loader. I couldn't, however get any better results with my groups than I could with the factory loaded LE, so I gave up after just a couple dozen tries.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Yes, I have reloaded this round with the Lee Loader. I couldn't, however get any better results with my groups than I could with the factory loaded LE, so I gave up after just a couple dozen tries.
Did it work with the short LE brass and FTX bullet?

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
Just buy an extra and file or grind off the right amount then paint it red.

Reactions: c.t.smith

·
Registered
424 Posts
I altered mine, but wasn't real happy that I had to. I would have really appreciated not having to take my shiny new die to the grinder. :vollkommenauf:
Maybe the worst time in history to try and get a reloading tool company to expand their line, but it'd be nice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts