Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see Mossberg add other caliber's to their 464 line. Because of the strengthened rear portion of their receiver (back strap) I believe this model could possibly withstand larger caliber configurations like 454 Casull, 45-70 and possibly 7-30 Walters or 7mm-08. I would also like them to include pistol calibers as well. There 464 had issues in the beginning but they stepped up to the plate and remedied them. The only issue I have with mine is blue wearing on the bolt. Stainless or nickeling could improve that issue. It would be nice to see them add different barrel configurations also like, octagon barrels and maybe even short tube versions. It would also be nice to see plain barrel versions without dovetails for rear sights, so receiver mounted peep sights could be installed. I n my opinion there nothing uglier than a rear sight blank on a levergun. Of course other Manufactures would have to step up and provide receiver sights and even make barrel mounted rails for forwarded mounted scopes. This would include GrimReaper and Leupold making bases and rings also. Also ammo manufactures like Hornaday would have to make new Flex tip bullets for calibers described above.

I my self wouldn't have a problem shelling out $650.00 for a 7MM-08 SS model 464 with either Pepper Laminate or Walnut stocks. But alas I would probably have to buy a Browning lever action to get this caliber, but it just wouldn't look like a 94.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost ordered a Lo-Pro Skinner sight for mine today, but read a post on the Mossberg Forum. The fellow said he had just installed one on his 464. He is shooting 4 inches high at 50 and 12 inches high at 100.He said he would have to get a taller front sight. Mine is already tall, frankly I don't want to go any higher than I already have. It would look ridiculous and hang on every bush for miles. I'm getting new glasses soon and may just leave it as is. I don't mind a scope but wanted to keep it un scoped. It shoots dead on at a hundred now.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
I have not seen or handled the Mossberg 464--can you mount a scope on it? Sounds like it is patterned after the Win 94. Hopefully its built better than the Win 94 Trapper 30-30 I had years ago. Sold it to get a 308MX--I still don't miss that Winnie piece of junk.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Mossberg 464 is very simular looking to a Winchester 94. But it differs in the reciever area. It is not open at the rear of the reciever. It has a barrel band at the rear, like the front. About the only thing that I dislike is the lever needs to be held alittle tight depressing it to the reciever. It is a saftey feature. THE OTHER SAFETY IS ON THE TANG. No ugly throuh the reciever safety. Also the bolt is round to allow for a slicker opperating cycle. Avery nice little gun for the money. Yes it is tapped for scope mounting.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
I got a brief look at the 464 today. Its a nice, light little rifle. The workmanship is better than I expected, considering the price. I read the above comments about the "safety" issue and that would drive me nuts too!

I don't know why gun makers put these Lawyer safeties on firearms and ruin a perfectly good gun.

Many situations have an alternative solution. For example: When I went to the PA Safety training course in order to get a hunting license, the instructors reviewed the different safety devices on popular rifles.

They brought up the "Half Cocked" safety on older firearms, of which I own two-both Winchester Model 94 Pre 64's. The instructors asked the question "What would happen if you had a round in the chamber and the rifle on half cocked safety and the rifle fell over? Short answer "It would go off". So, what would be the best way to avoid discharging the rifle? How about not chambering a round when walking to the hunting blind or tree stand? I could just as easily leave my rifle empty while wallking to my hunting spot, but keep my pistol loaded as I always do. If I come across game before I get to the blind or stand, I could let the animals go, or pull the pistol if I have a close enough opportunity to shoot. You folks might not agree with the alternatives, but there ARE alternatives.

Just sayin'

Mike T.

Reactions: reid070

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lever safety is not hard to get use to. It only requires squeezing the lever against the stock as you would normally do. I hold most guns pretty light while shooting them so as not to get a pushed trigger squeezing. I have only fired about 8 rounds thru it sighting it in but had no miss fires. I think on the lines of the lever safety being like a 1911 pistol backstrap safety. If its not squeezed while shooting the gun doesn't go off. This reduces accidental discharges. Let say your walking to your stand and for some dumb reason you forgot to let the hammer down after cycling a round into the chamber. A twig gets inside the trigger guard , snag the hammer falls, no discharge. Your hammer is cocked you drop the gun, no discharge. Your hammer is not cocked the gun slips from your hand. Something hits the trigger causing it to almost fully cock and then the hammer snaps down. No discharge. I don't have a problem with any of its safeties, matter of fact I like them. Like Miket156 said I don't load my gun until I'm in the stand. If I come up on a deer while heading there, oh well he gets a pass. Just my sense of fair chase. Check these little guns out. When all the JM Marlins are bought up it maybe come a very good alternative. After owning one I doubt I will ever buy another Rossi especially if they add new calibers to the 464 besides 22.

·
Vendor
1,946 Posts
Almost ordered a Lo-Pro Skinner sight for mine today, but read a post on the Mossberg Forum. The fellow said he had just installed one on his 464. He is shooting 4 inches high at 50 and 12 inches high at 100.He said he would have to get a taller front sight. Mine is already tall, frankly I don't want to go any higher than I already have. It would look ridiculous and hang on every bush for miles. I'm getting new glasses soon and may just leave it as is. I don't mind a scope but wanted to keep it un scoped. It shoots dead on at a hundred now.
Interesting.... almost every 464 owner who has shared results with us has said the LoPro needed to be raised and our winged sight worked with the factory front. For the shooter who was 4" high @ 50, a front sight 1/16" Taller (or slightly less) would be about right. Not really much taller at all...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My nephew has hunted with his 464 for 3 seasons and taken 6 deer. He hunts in Maryland. I've handled and fired this carbine and pronounce it a KEEPER!

I'd also be happier if the 464 was chambered for other cartridges than 30-30.

TR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.