Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you taken with your 35 Remington? I have a Marlin 336CS in 35 Remington. I think I'm gonna put a Leupold Compact 2-7x28mm scope mounted with Talley's "Light Weight Aluminum" rings/mounts ( the rings mount to the reciever). on it. I haven't gotten anything with it yet. I was just wondering what you guys or gals have taken, be it deer, black bear, wild boar or what ever? I use mine for white-tail deer hunting. Its my deep woods/brush gun.
I use Remington 200 gr. Core-Lokt ammo in it. Has anyone used this ammo? What kind of performance did you get? Can you get better performance if you handload? What do you think of the 35 Remington?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Only had mine a week or so and have not even fired it yet.

Larry

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had a 336SC since it was given to me when I was 12 years old (1959) and shot my first 10 deer with it. Also taken have been foxes, dogs, woodchucks, hedgehogs, partridge and anything else that needed be taken. By 1966 my choice of bullets was no longer available for this rifle so I went to a 308. My choice of bullet was the Remington Core-Lokt Mushroom Hollow-Point 200 grainer. In my personal opinion, the finest projectile ever made for this cartridge. It did not "bugger up" like the soft points and the expansion on game was excellent. As a family we presently have 6 Marlins and 4 Remingtons in the 35 Remington caliber and find no fault with any of them; the number of deer harvested with these rifles in the past 50 years is a question that will never be answered as many of the users are no longer with us.

·
Registered
50 Posts
some of you know me from the old Marlin Talk ,you know I came to the USA from Africa (RSA) I grew up on a hunting concession and I was given a 35 lever gun when I was 9 yrs old.
I killed everything from a dikdik to bull Eland with that tiny ( by African standars) caliber. here in Na I have taken elk,blk bear, deer,'bou,etc. with it and once I even killed a 9'6" Brown bear with it and 250 gr bullets. WAK

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
So far only one deer, a large doe about 175 lbs at about 200 yards. Have only had the rifle a year. Liked it so much I had to get 336D.

·
Registered
137 Posts
NY Hunter:

With my .35's over the years I've taken numerous deer and a black bear, woodchucks and a fox. My favorite .35 is a Marlin 336C. I've got a Weaver K 2.5 on it and it shoots great. Over the years I've taken the aforementioned game with factory 200 grainers including Remington core-lokt, Winchester Power Points, and Federal Hi-Shok.

I'm just starting to reload for it and will be loading Speer 180 grain and 220 grain hot cores as well as Remington core-lokt, Sierra Pro-Hunter and Hornady Interlocks. I'll post my range results when I've got them.

I love my .35 and I've never been let down by a .35 Remington.

GOOD SHOOTING! :D Range Finder

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Oops, I forgot about the feral cat that went to the happy hunting ground with the help of the 336D. :shock:

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 336cs in 35 is 9 for 10 on 1 shot kills. In that group are 2 ten pointers, 1 from the UP of Michigan and 1 from the Speculator area of the Adirondacks. Also have taken a beautiful 8 pointer that you see as my aplet (spelling) here on the board. That deer was taken in the Sterling Forest area in S New York. Also have 2 six pointers and some does. The only one that took 2 shots was a doe that was on the run, well below me in a valley at about 115 yds. I had good visibility and late in the season so I took the shot. She spun off the group of 3 others and turned right. Ran about another 20 yards shaking her head and stopped behind a big Oak. At this point she was out about 130 yds and down a good 60'. I steadied the gun on a sapling and took what she gave me which was about 3" between the shoulder blade and the oak and shot. She turned and ran like it was a miss. I thought I must have hit the tree but as it should be I needed to verify and when I finally climbed down the sttep rocky cliff and got to the spot, I saw a trail of blood spray up over the next small rise and she was stone dead 10 yards over the crest. The first round had hit her in the neck (to much leed) and cut a 3/4" deep slash down the right side,tough deer. She extracted some revenge as the drag out was all downhill with 10" of snow and at one point she was sliding faster than I could move and ran me over sending me face first into the snow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
PS I have handed that gun over to my son now and he has been shooting to get the feel and posting some nice groups. The only problem I ever had with the 35 Remington came not from the gun but from the Remington factory ammo. In both my 35 and 270 I have had numerous DUDS. Each time I would correspond with the Remington company but not once did I receive so much as a return letter, email nothing. The only thing I use ANY remington for these days is the brass to roll my own. Remington can KMA..............That said ny 336 really liked the cheapo PMC ammo and next was the Winchester. These days I am toting the 444SS launching the Hornady 265 light mags. Kick in the pants to shoot but I am on a constant vigil to find a 336D at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
good luck on finding a reasonable 336D, why not buy a used Texan and have it rechambered for 35, no big deal and alot cheaper

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've just killed a big doe with mine. Was fun though as it was with iron sights at about 110 or so yards, and my nephew had just missed it twice with a scoped slug gun. The .35 put her down instantly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think what wak is talking about is a 336Texan and it is a 20" I think. dosn't or haven't Marlin 336 been available in youth models? Take one of them order a new butt stock and bingo .
WAK if I am wrong correct me

G

·
waknstak said:
good luck on finding a reasonable 336D, why not buy a used Texan and have it rechambered for 35, no big deal and alot cheaper
Hi,

Would you mind saying what is involved in the conversion of a 30-30 to 35 Rem. I have one of each, but I would like to make the T into a 35 Trapper, maybe, depending on costs, etc.

Thank you,

Grizz

·
Registered
97 Posts
The youth is only a 30-30, I could take the 1894C and rechamber from 357 to 35 Rem. That is making a huge assumption that the barrel OD's are the same. The 336C is also straight stock and I prefer the pistol, feels better in my hand.

·
Registered
50 Posts
a smith could easily and rather cheaply turn that youth 30-30 into a 35 Rem

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have had my 1970 336 .35Rem for 24 years now. It has taken 30+ whitetails, 3 mule deer, numberous javalinas, a couple of wild dogs, 2 domestic hogs, 3 coyotes, and many,many milk jugs along with various other targets.

My ole .35 will hunt with me as long as the good Lord will let me.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Too many rifles, too few seasons.

I dedicated a good portion of last season to my 336/35 Rem. which wore a Leupold Rifleman series 2-7x scope and mounts. Ammo was Rem. factory 200 gr.

I took a small (young-of-the-year) antelope at about 40 yds. One shot through shoulder joint (too much lead) and the result was impressive. Later shot a forkhorn Mule deer at estimated 200 yds., low through the forward chest. It ran down the face of the mountain a ways but had a lot of help from gravity. No need for a second shot.

Finally, and this counts as much in my book as the above, I took a terrific hike in the mountains one day with my 35 Rem. looking for elk. And then there were three wonderful days prowling hardwood covered hills in Missouri in December. Neither of those treks produce any shooting opportunities but the Marlin was a pleasant and comfortable companion to carry along. :wink:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts