Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my new ABL all set up with the skinner sights, and took it out for some shooting. I ran a box of 405 gr. Remington Corelocks through it to get all dialed in. They shot good and I had no problems. Then I switched to the load I was planning on using this season, 405 GR. jfn Buffalo Bore. I only ran a few rounds of this through because I was noticing swelling at the base of the spent case, swelling so bad that after my last shot I literally had to pry the lever open to eject the spent shell.
At that point I knew something was up with the bullets and took it home to clean it. Now my action is so tight I cant even open it normal with the backs of my fingers. The only way to open it is apply pressure with the palm of my hand on the lever.

So dont sugar coat it.... did I ruin this gun after only 23 rounds??

Has any one else had this with the hotter loads like Buffalo Bore? And is this an example of what we get with the new remilns?

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts
Re: What have I just done?!!!

Sorry to say, I cannot assist you with your problem, instead though refer you to the Reference Library for how to's that may be able to help you. I'm sure some of the more experienced shooters and smith types will be chiming in shortly. Sorry to hear about your problem, here's a link to disassembling the rifle, it may not be exactly what your're after but will suffice for taking the rifle apart for a total cleaning. Good Luck! Mr fixit
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,26786.0.html

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

I would have it checked, you may have ruined a nice gun and then stay away from the hot loads.

I have never seen a reason to push a 405 gn bullet beyond what a Rem box of core lokts produce.

·
Registered
235 Posts

swany said:
I have never seen a reason to push a 405 gn bullet beyond what a Rem box of core lokts produce.
Me either....I broke the wrist on an 1895 in my younger days and that's when I quit shooting hot .45-70 loads.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Buffalo bore set there FPS too high for a 45-70 lever. 2000 fps for a bolt action as far as i;m concerned. Plus the word magnum red flaged me when I looked at them. Good luck, hope its not serious.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Come on guys. Buffalo Bore 45/70 ammo should not hurt a marlin action. Also the 2000fps claim is with a 22" barrel per there site.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I've shot at least 100 rounds of 405 gr buffalo bore through my guide gun without any problems except for being beat to death. Its a 1999 year model with a piece of retread tire for a recoil pad so it was pretty rough. I out grew all that crazyness and now reload 350 gr hornadys at around 1800 fps for hunting and 350 gr laser cast at 1100 fps when just enjoying myself. But if I'm not mistaken Buffalo bore says for marlin 1895 on the box.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well yea that is were I'm coming from, they say right on the box that they are just not for the old trap door ones. My big hang-up is that the few rounds that i shot were what was left from a friend who shot the majority of the box out of his 1895. He had no complaints other than recoil. 17 in his gun and 3 in mine and mine takes a dump?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

Lost goat,

Make sure you keep those spend cartridges!!! if your 1895 needs any repair or if it is trashed then you need to contact BuffaloBore and give them the bill. If you know of anyone with a Ruger #1 rifle and a chronograph I would have those loads tested to make sure that they were at the levels specified by BuffaloBore. If you have a video camera use that so you can prove that you only shot 3 rounds through your rifle and then tested with the #1.

Doc

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts

Doc, unless he has more of those, it's going to be real difficult recording anything.
"17 in his gun and 3 in mine" kinda kills it for that box of cartridges. Mr fixit 8)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

did you try taking the bolt,lever, and extractor out cleaning it putting it back together and trying it. Sometimes things just need a good cleaning.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

I bought a box of 405 Buffalo Bore when I bought my 45/70 but haven't got the nerve up to fire one as of yet. I just carry them in the mag tube when walking in the big brown beasts territory.. ;D I am thinking I am going to give them away and work up my own loads, pushing gas checked 420gr hard cast at a reasonable 1600 fps. The last thing I need to do is jam up my gun just when I need it the most.

·
Registered
830 Posts

skmarsh77 said:
did you try taking the bolt,lever, and extractor out cleaning it putting it back together and trying it. Sometimes things just need a good cleaning.
I'm with skmarsh77. How about taking the rifle part, clean it good, and re-assemble with a thin film of lubricant.

Corbi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

No I haven't yet but I aim to sit down tonight and give it a solid once over. :-\

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

I've shot some pretty stiff loads in mine...a few that were right up there with Buffalo Bore (I don't recommend loading rounds that hot)...Swelling near the base of the case is normal with such loads but it shouldn't exceed .006" - .008"

I've never experienced sticky extraction either....was it hard to get the lever started, or hard all the way through the cycle?

Pull the lever and make sure its straight (Rowdy's was bent from the factory), check the detent in the lever for proper function, pull the bolt and make sure nothing is stuck between the bolt and the receiver, and make sure the extractor is in 1 piece.

My 1895 has fired several hundred reloads pushing 405 grain Beartooth bullets at 1,900 fps...thats a 36-38,000 psi load...and it eats them like candy.

·
Registered
672 Posts

I would look at COL and projectile ogive diff's. If you have any loaded left, possibly getting into forcing cone if your rifle was short chambered a little. If you land those "J"'s hard in the throat the pressure is going through the roof, only to be pushed into crazy zone with high end boomers. The swell being just fwd of cup in bottom of case would have me looking real hard. Gtek

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts

eaglesnest said:
I bought a box of 405 Buffalo Bore when I bought my 45/70 but haven't got the nerve up to fire one as of yet. I just carry them in the mag tube when walking in the big brown beasts territory.. ;D I am thinking I am going to give them away and work up my own loads, pushing gas checked 420gr hard cast at a reasonable 1600 fps. The last thing I need to do is jam up my gun just when I need it the most.
I hear ya--came close to a disaster like that in Fidalgo Bay back in '71. I was hauling a Goat out that a Brownie decided he wanted and we had a standoff. Never ever been that scared in my life--he was huge---stood my ground and he finally backed off. Never want to go through that again.

Steve

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

Pics of those fired cases would help...just to see where exactly the swelling is a how bad.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

ia1727 said:
I hear ya--came close to a disaster like that in Fidalgo Bay back in '71. I was hauling a Goat out that a Brownie decided he wanted and we had a standoff. Never ever been that scared in my life--he was huge---stood my ground and he finally backed off. Never want to go through that again.

Steve
That in Prince William Sound?
Never underestimate the intelligence of a bear when he is confronting someone with a gun! They usually will do the smart thing... ;D

·
Registered
605 Posts

I think Ridgerunner665 is on to somethink. I'd pull the bolt. I'll bet the ejector is in two pieces and that half of it is jamming up the works.

Please let us know what you find.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts