Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you bought a Marlin or Remington today, Whichever Company takes over either Remington or Marlin, what happens to the Warranty on those guns ? Do they become void after the sale of the Company is completed ?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
One of the nasty things when a company is sold... the warranties get cancelled.

Ruger can choose to honor Marlin warranties.
This would be a good thing.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would suspect that Ruger will cover all existing warranty provisions for firearms still within a warranty period. Typically as part of the asset transfer agreement the buyer agrees to cover the seller's outstanding warranties, and that warranty repair technicians currently employed by the seller would continue until the current inventory of warranty repair firearms have cleared the system. After that, Ruger may decide to make changes to their (Marlin firearm) warranties. Also, depending on the terms of the agreement there is a period of training by the seller's warranty repair staff to get the buyer's support staff up to speed to on the intricacies of the firearm. Sometimes during the transition some of the seller's staff will be rolled over into the buyers staff i.e. Marlin repair techs will now be on the Ruger payroll working on Marlin firearms. If Ruger announced that they were actually not going to warranty Marlin firearms still within their warranty the public outcry would be deafening. .

I use the terms 'sometimes' and 'suspect' and 'may' because I've seen it done a number of different ways, some good some bad. It also depends upon whether it was s hostile takeover or an amicable purchase of outstanding assets. I think the latter is the case in this situation.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
+1. When a company gets sold, the new owners are not legally bound to honor past owners' warranties. Who knows?

A lot of people will be extra super happy to see good checkering again. This has the potential to be a new beginning. Ruger/Marlin will be up against Henry, Japanese Winchester, Uberti, Pedersoli, and to a lesser degree Rossi. If they do it right, they could retake the sizable market share that Marlin always had. I have great hopes for this acquisition. Ruger will have to make parts that fit our Marlins. If they change the action for safety/transfer bar, there's going to be a disconnect.

Lots of details to work out. This could be huge for Ruger and Marlin if handled properly.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Not only is it standard practice for all warranties to be void when a company changes hands, but this bankruptcy filing and auction laid out explicit terms for such.
Half the point of this whole situation was to cut off the head of the Sandy Hook and Walker trigger lawsuits and eliminate any possibility for the victims, families, and political groups to ever go after the Remington and Bushmaster brands again for those situations.

Doesn't matter anyway. Ruger doesn't offer a warranty or guarantee of any kind, and likely wouldn't change their stance for Marlin.
They just support their products like a good company should.

·
Registered
171 Posts

True. I would not expect any company buying a company to warrant the previous company's products. Why should they???? They didn't make the product so why should they spend major $$$ warranting another manufacturer's product?
I wouldn't if I were them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ruger does not have to honor anything that's not listed in the asset transfer agreement. However, if warranty provisions are part of the agreement, then, well, they are part of the agreement and legally binding. As I mentioned, I've seen it done both ways... honoring previous warranty provisions and not honoring provisions. Again, it just depends upon the terms of the sale. Having been involved in a few of these types of transactions, nothing is typical. And until a statement from Ruger regarding those particular provisions of the sale are made public then no one knows for sure. However, I suspect the warranties will be covered. But that's just my hunch based upon previous experience with asset transfer/bankruptcy sales of this magnitude. I could be wrong as I, like others, are not privy to the agreement.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
4,652 Posts

Ruger will have to be careful in taking care of a rifle that they had nothing to do with and in the present may have no one that knows how to fix them . It is obvious that remlin didn't know how to fix them by the number of rifles that came back in worse condition than when they were sent in.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I would also bet Ruger would choose to honor the warranty. I have alot of Rugers and the only one I ever had that needed a warranty.... they covered.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Old gun guy, first visit to this "Rant" Forum. Perhaps a bit of clarification of 'usual' assets transfer in Bankruptcy proceedings. One of the above Posts touched on this point. Such are not ordinary sales where certain liabilities, "outstanding warranties" are a matter of consideration, dealings and asquisition. Because I'm not acquainted with the particular facts of the Remington Bankruptcy, I'm speaking here throughout in generalities.
A prime purpose of Bankruptcy of course is to relieve the bankrupt debtor of "unsecured obligations", typically any warranties being central. Sale of Court administered bankrupt's assets going to repay "secured creditors" first; sweepings if any to unsecured creditors; typically nothing.
For info, "warranty holders" are literally unsecured debtors" in "contingent" category. A central attractive feature of "bankruptcy sales", is purchasers taking assets "free of incumbrances/obligations".
I'd be somewhat astounded if Ruger or any other purchasers took assets subject to such claims. Particularly as such not "fixed and known". Rather subject to some undetermined number of warranty claimants.
Absolutely no legal advice offered anywhere here or to be taken. Merely 'probability' speculation here, little realistic chance of warranty obligation being transferred OR of Ruger "honorable recognition/acceptance of obligation". Assuming unknown contingent debt! Possibly to acquire/maintain otherwise unneeded equipment and stock.
Consistent with the Marlin acquisition, Ruger sees value in Marlin name, patents, machinery - whatever transferred. Boding well for some reincarnation. What, when, how... Wait to see!
I've appreciated Marlin levers for decades and with more than a few fifties era plus models. A bit strange and ironic that Winchester continued to be the marketplace Gorilla as compared to the '94 particularly, the 336 to me a superior, more modern product.
Best & stay safe!
John

·
Banned
543 Posts
I see the possibilities, from two positions.

If Ruger bought the company to bleed it of all its good name and reputation,... one could kiss a warranty good bye, imo.

If they bought it, to make a go of it,... then it is a flip of the coin. I am sure all of Ruger's bean counters are considering the cost of dealing with a few years of bad production.

I bought a new Ford a couple years ago. Got a FREE TIRE'S FOR LIFE package with the purchase. The owner sold the franchise to a conglomerate that decided not to honor the package agreement,... and, lost me as a customer that has bought Ford, for the past forty+ years!

We shall see,... what we shall see.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
No Lawyer, but I assume they will not warranty anything not actually manufactured by them. They would be complete idiots to do so in my opinion.

And if they indeed ever get Marlin going strong again..All warrantys will likely be expired by that time.

Has anyone called Marlin recently and got a answer on the Phone? Just curious as I called them a few months back trying to get a 795 broken plastic trigger housing replaced. Was told to just keep calling back and see if one comes available,LOL

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it would be sheer folly for Ruger to repair guns that they did not make. Everyone is aware of the poor product Remlin put out. I am sorry for the customers left holding the bag. It is not Ruger's fault.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts