Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M375 was really shooting good up until Saturday. My load of 39gr of AA1680 over 220 HDY's was doing great. I have an old Weaver K4 on it and it was grouping good.
I finally got my chronograph back from being repaired so I wanted to chrony my load. I shot a 5-shot group at 50yds that you could put a quarter over. I shot my 35 for a while to let the barrel cool down before shooting a few at 100 yds. This is where things went south.
5 shots spread out over 6" :shock: :x . 2 weeks ago it shot 2" @ 100yds. Granted, it is a 4x scope but I was very steady on the bags and my trigger squeeze felt good.

Could I have a scope problem? Parallax maybe?

The rotten part of this story is that the 375 won't be going to Georgia with me this week. I was really hoping to "bloody" it up on a GA buck, but there is no way it's going acting like that.

Help guys! What could've happened? :cry:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Duckbill,
Man I have had that sort of thing happen to me. If all else is equal seriously check your scope and mounts. I had a .308 that shot stupid small groups even with a cheap scope on it. Until that scope quit holding zero.

I use a 4X scope with a 50 yd objective and still can turn in very good groups at 100. The parallax thing is much less noticeable with lower power scopes.

I'm not familiar enough with the .375 and your loads but I imagine recoil is on the stiff side. could have shaken something loose??

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bman,
I should've re-shot at 50yds afterwards, but I was low on time and frustrated. I've got a nice old Redfield 2x7 that I intend to put on it. I just don't have time before I leave.

Montanan,
I really like open sites and peep sights on my levers, but two things are working against me. 1st is my eyeballs :roll: . 2nd is the fact that I'm down in the bottoms and light is a factor. I had to pass on a big bodied buck last year, because I couldn't make out the kill zone at dusk with my peep sight.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
After reading your post again, I see that you had indeed engaged 100 yard targets. My .375 is much the same. Will nail 2 shots in the same hole and the 3rd will be 3" to one side or the other. Scope is good, mounts are good. I can only assume it is factory loads but yours are loaded with your own hand loads. Very interesting.

Let me get out my targets and I will post more info.

SS

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Heard of this happening to one person and when they were about to trade off the rifle decided to swap scopes. Turned out the inside wire broke and every time he shot the poa changed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Went through it once with w bolt . turned out the screws on the scope base were loose.In short the scope was traveling on the rifle.
Thing always seem to happen just before the hunt .
Maybe you have a chance to site it in before the hunt.
Happy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts