Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in two 338 XLR's (one for me and one for eldest son). I am very, very disappointed. What has happened to the quality I have come to expect from Marlin?

One rifle I am just going to have to send back. The rear tang that meets the stock is raided 1/4" above the laminate. When I cycle it, it feels like sand paper. When I look up the underside, the top of the leaver looks cooked - brown rusty gunk like excessive open flame heat treating.

The other one was a bit smoother in its action and had better fit to finish, so I thought to give it a go. The first thing I did was open it up to install a Wild West trigger...and oh lord...what did I find! Metal fines and shavings...everywhere. Metal shavings in the screw holes, in the action, in the extractor, you name it. On top of that, there was this weird rusty brown liquid like goo on lots of the mating surfaces. I spent about a half hour getting all that cleaned out, put it together with the new WW trigger and cycled it a few times. Still a bit rougher than I like but functional. That is when I noticed that the lever loop had mostly sharp edges - hardly rounded out at all. Damn.

Then I installed a DZN scope mount and a brand new Burris 2 x 7 with a 3P-4 reticule and went to bore sighting. Wow - talk about shooting low. I then pulled it down and stuck all three shims under the rear of the scope and bore sighted it again. I got it to almost line up so I thought to go give it a try.

(NOTE! When the heck did Marlin start supplying scope shims in the gun box - this is a first to me - NONE of my other Marlins - I have at least a dozen - have ever been supplied them nor ever needed them!!!!!)

Anyway, I took it out to the 50 yard range in the back yard and gave it a whirl. After bottoming out the scope, I managed to pull the group up to 3.5" low. So I grumbled, when back inside, took off the scope and mount, and cut some more shims to go in the rings. I then went out, shot some more, came back in, tore down and cut more shims, etc. 4 times before I got it to settle in.

Basically, to get it sighted in, the back of the scope had to be jacked up nearly 1/4" to zero at 50 yards, with the scope adjustments about in the middle of its ranges.

I have never...NEVER had to do that to a rifle in my life, and I have well over 100 of them.

What has happened to the quality in my beloved Marlins? How could the do this to us, the loyal fans?

I guess the moral of the story is that when a rifle vendor willfully sends you shims, they have chosen to try to cheaply rectify their mistake rather than trashing poorly drilled receivers and doing it again. That kind of BS is what killed our auto, and many other industries in this country. I am so saddened to see it enter into the Marlin arena.

·
Registered
846 Posts
welcome to the club! I don't know if You are new to the forum but there are alot of us that have had that same problem with our new marlins and we are trying to figure out what happened to our beloved Marlin company. But if you complain to much about it here the Administrator will send you to the Rant forum which is where you will find most of the complaints about the new marlins. it looks like 2007 or maybe 2008 were the last good years for the Marlin Rifles since Remington took over. Alot of us had to send our rifles back due to all kinds of problems including the dreded barrel cant, if you read threw the older posts you will see all the problems we have had. Dennis

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
If you found out you were losing your job because it was bought out and being relocated, "would you give a crap about Q/C". Maybe no one wants to admit it but that is part of the sad story. I had to send one back for a refund. Sooner or later they will get back on their feet, until then Marlin/Remington or Marlington will be fixing plenty of poorly manufactured guns.
But, whatever you do DON'T give up on the gun, it is a great caliber in a lever. Your son will love it, just look for a good used one like I did (92/93 serials), I love my gun. Great job sharing the outdoors with your kids.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
ihunter338 said:
If you found out you were losing your job because it was bought out and being relocated, "would you give a crap about Q/C". Maybe no one wants to admit it but that is part of the sad story. I had to send one back for a refund. Sooner or later they will get back on their feet, until then Marlin/Remington or Marlington will be fixing plenty of poorly manufactured guns.
But, whatever you do DON'T give up on the gun, it is a great caliber in a lever. Your son will love it, just look for a good used one like I did (92/93 serials), I love my gun. Great job sharing the outdoors with your kids.
The Remington (FGI/Cerberus) imposed sub-two minute build times might have had something to do with it as well. ::)

And so far, the guns coming out of Ilion haven't been too swell. Ya know, those extra dovetail's and stuff...

·
Registered
310 Posts
You know, I hate to say it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this. I've thought about it..real hard...and

I'm putting Marlin on the back burner for a year or two to see if things get worked out or not...or even if they are still in business.

I refuse to drop $500+ dollars on a brand new Marlin rifle that may or may not work.

In the meantime, my next rifle will be a bolt, either a .270 Win. from Tikka or Savage, or a 6.5x284 from Savage.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
The sad part of it is that guys that own a good one are pleased at the quality and accuracy of these rifles. The whole premise of doing that with a lever action is amazing. You don't see many good (older) ones for sale because these people know they have a gem and want to hold on to them. The newer ones for a variety of reasons don't seem to meet the same criteria of quality. I had a problem with mine with the chamber being rough but at least it wasn't the dreaded 'barrel droop'. It was fixed and is now an amazing shooter.

At this point I would have to wait for Remington to fix the manufacturing process not only with these calibers but across the board judging by the quality issues seen in other calibers. I would wait and buy an older rifle or wait for them to be made correctly before I spent my money on one.

I hope I don't come across as a doomsayer because I am and have been a Marlin fan for years. But we have to band together and let Remington know about the problems with these rifles and also let them know we will support these calibers if they are fixed. Call them, write them, or use that new fangled facebook or e-mail but please let them know. Who knows, we may ultimately be the ones to save Marlin by doing this. At least if they care about us, the consumers. Lonnie

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I would send both guns back. If I had to install shims to zero a scope, that gun would not stay in my rack.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I would return both. My 1st year manufacture 308xlr was very well fit and finished and a pretty smooth action. But, not as smooth as an old 1951 waffle top that was my fathers and my bet is the new xlr has more rounds fired than the waffle top.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your input.

I am just not used to this from Marlin.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You need to call Marlin directly and talk them and let them know your concerns.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Range update on the one I worked on - Odd results.

Range - 50 yards (I go close in for quick checks)

1st shot - dead on 0 of target - touching center cross on target.
Next 3 shots - about 2.5" low and 1/2" to the left (3/4" group).
All shots fired about 30 seconds apart.

Thought the first was a flier, but it was getting late, decided to wait until the next day.

Day 2 - same sequence, same results. ??? ??? ???

Any ideas fellow guru's? I am surprised in the shift after the first shot. It is not even behaving from what I have run into in the past with vertical stringing, since the last 3 stayed together. Push that out to 100+ yards and that is one heck of a difference. It would seem nuts to have to wait for a completely cold barrel between shots to sight in for hunting.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I want a 338MX so bad that I can taste it! The 338 is the greatest thing since sliced bread! But no way will I buy a rifle that needs shims to shoot right. I just won't do it! And no! I am not at all used to poor quality from Marlin, and I will never get used to poor quality from Marlin either. I'll buy used but not new until these problems get fixed. Permanently! I hope that my no new sales won't hurt the 338 Marlin, but I won't settle for poor quality. I buy a Papoose though.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Been biting my tongue (or fingers) trying to resist piling on about quality but I guess I just need a group hug.... :-\ Sent my 338MXLR to Paducah Shooters the regional Marlin service center a few weeks ago. Basically used it as a single shot last deer season. In the accompanying letter I stated that my preference was that they do the repairs vs. sending her to NY. As I suspected the trigger was way out of spec (high) and the feed and extraction issues were beyond their repairability (or maybe Rem wanted to see it). I told them I really want to get that rifle back with the JM stamp, it being the last of the Conn guns. I'm encouraged because with the DNZ mount she does not exhibit the dreaded barrel droop. It's just unfortunate that all these circumstances created the perfect storm for this great rifle and round. I put about 45 rounds thru the rifle in one day testing some bullet sensing equipment for our company. Aside from feeding as a single shot and a very heavy trigger it shot so sweet (accurate) and was easy on my shoulder (given the number rounds). I'm optimistic that Rem will get us thru this rough patch because all the essentials are there for a great rifle to be desired for generations. I'm keeping the faith knowing that no business drops a ton of money on a acquisition to see that product line go down the toilet. I feel better now... I think.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What happened to quality???

Freedom Group/Cerberus/Remington bought Marlin.

The End. (in more ways than one)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Beacon! Lets hope not but after talking to Gary I'm not holding my breath. hoping mine will be here soon and I will defenitly critic it, I wonder what Hornaday thinks about all this? or if they even know! Dennis

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh, you betcha that Hornady is closely watching all of their new inventions! Even though the .308 and .338 Express cartridges have very limited applications, being rimmed cartridges, they are major firearms advancements. The .450 Marlin with a gummy-point is also a major advancement! Quite suddenly, antique lever-guns are equal in power, range, and accuracy, to any other type of action.

Hornady has gunny-points in .308, .321, .358, .430, .458. So if you ask me, Hornady should produce a gummy-point bullet in every caliber! Especially a 70 grain PSP for the .219 Zipper. A 100-120 grain PSP for the 25-35/25-36. A 120-130 grain PSP for the 7-30 Waters. A 220-230 grain PSP for the .375 Winchester/38-55 WCF. Even a 300 grain in .411 diameter and how about a 400 grain in .475 diameter. Gummy-points RULE! They even use them in .357 Mag and .44 Mag factory pistol loads. So indeed, Hornady is most definitely watching very closely. I don't know how much all of Hornady's new inventions have effected Marlin sales, but I'll bet the effect has been extremely good. Marlin has always held a large amount of rifle sales, but I'd bet even more so now with Hornady's help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those that have not seen what we are talking about here with barrel droop, here are some pics.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OMG! The barrel droop is obvious, big time! Remington/Marlin can't actually believe that people would just let this "minor" issue slide! That's crazy! It insults the customer, whom IS ALWAYS RIGHT! :mad: I'd be very upset, to say the least! And I wouldn't care if it did shoot OK, it just doesn't look right. It's just too much of a fine gun to look that way. :'(

1 - 20 of 49 Posts