Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Never used a GPS in the woods.

Really like the Garmin GPS in the truck/car.

DR

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
maps & a compass.

A little side track here but, I hunt on one of Vermont's largest maple sugar farms. There are thousands of acres available hunting on this mountain, but quite a bit of it is very steep terrain, I've actually been thinking about using a drone w/ a video camera to help with scouting in the off season, not to mention the amazing views it would capture. Basically a live action mobile game camera. But I think it could also help you become more oriented in the woods should you become lost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is the link: https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=35408&section=10900/

The Complete GPS Navigation Solution for Smartphones and Tablets
Earthmate is a mobile, full-featured GPS navigation app that's as unlimited as your adventures! As the best value in mobile GPS apps, Earthmate comes complete with unlimited access to all North America topographic maps for storage on your device, unlimited cloud storage of all your data, unlimited online routes and waypoint planning, and much more!

• Cell service not required. Maps are downloaded to your device for access anywhere, anytime.
  • Includes North America Topo Maps, Public Lands, and U.S. NOAA Charts
  • Online Trip Planning
  • Route Navigation and Waypoints
  • High-detail GPS Trip Logging
  • Location Sharing and Tracking
  • Unlimited Maps and Cloud Storage
  • Designed for iOS (7.0 and later) and Android (4.1 and later) mobile devices

·
Premium Member
12,257 Posts
maps & a compass.

A little side track here but, I hunt on one of Vermont's largest maple sugar farms. There are thousands of acres available hunting on this mountain, but quite a bit of it is very steep terrain, I've actually been thinking about using a drone w/ a video camera to help with scouting in the off season, not to mention the amazing views it would capture. Basically a live action mobile game camera. But I think it could also help you become more oriented in the woods should you become lost.
Mearl,

My group of (older) hunters were talking about the possibility of mounting a rifle on a drone, and doing our hunting from right beside the wood stove!...........:biggrin:

Re: GPS's...........My group uses Garmin Rino's (520's and 530's)with the 5 Watt radios to stay in contact, and the GPS itself works well in heavy cover, but I use a Suunto Azmith (sp?) compass in conjunction with the GPS ...........My problem is, I forget more about running the the GPS with each year...........:dong: ......So now, I just "Mark" my Jeep, and then I can get back to it from anywhere........
I can also "Lock" on to another member and link up with them in the woods if needed..........

I use a Garmin 250W in my Corvette, and a Magellan Meastro 4370 in my Jeep......I think I'll swap them in the spring, so I can run my i phone thru the Magellan in the Vette...................( LT-1package with no Bluetooth )

I've had Nav systems in other vehicles, and I'm NOT a fan of all the "frills" that are loaded into those factory systems, or the subscription costs.............Just "git" me where I want to go!

Tom

Reactions: mearl

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I have an old Garmin Etrex that I can use. However, most of the time I want/need GPS I am bird hunting. Consequently, I have a Magellen GPS collar for my dog. The transmitter/controller for the collar can also act as a GPS, so I just use that since I have the transmitter/controller around my neck already.

·
Premium Member
12,257 Posts
I have an old Garmin Etrex that I can use. However, most of the time I want/need GPS I am bird hunting. Consequently, I have a Magellen GPS collar for my dog. The transmitter/controller for the collar can also act as a GPS, so I just use that since I have the transmitter/controller around my neck already.
Judson,

Just don't lose the Dog!..................I'm used to Siberian Huskys, and they are just hard headed straight line runners.........
Seriously, that sounds like a great system you have..........

Tom

Reactions: Judson

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Judson,

Just don't lose the Dog!...

Tom
Tom:

I DID lose that dog; that's why I bought a GPS tracking collar. I ran brittanys for 20 years and have always used a beeper/shock collar. Then I got a German Shorthaired Pointer named Rex. I put the shocker/beeper on him and took him out in the woods behind my house (I have a 7-acre lot). Rex the Shorthair jumped a herd of 15 deer and took off after them across the neighbor's picked soybean field. With a whistle and the shock collar I couldn't turn him. I jumped in the SUV to catch up with him as he was sorta paralleling the road. By the time I got to my vehicle and got out on the road he was nowhere in sight. I looked for Rex for 3 days straight days and never found him. This was right after Xmas 2014 - coldest time of the year. Besides the beeper/shock collar I had put on him to run on my property, he also had on his regular collar on with an ID tag. Five WEEKS later I get a call, "Do you own a dog named Rex?" The person who called said Rex had shown up the night before and spent the night in an unused dog house in her backyard. That house was 17 MILES away in the county seat.

I don't they, or anyone else, tried to keep Rex to make him their own and then got tired of him because the first thing such a person would do would be to remove his collar with MY name and telephone number, and Rex was still wearing that collar and tag. There's only one who knows what transpired during those five weeks, and Rex ain't talkin'. :biggrin:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.