Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
20 gauge with side by side 8x57s, cant read the top one. Sure is pretty for sure. Out of morbid curiosity, what the heck does the trigger set up look like??

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
12,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20 gauge with side by side 8x57s, cant read the top one. Sure is pretty for sure. Out of morbid curiosity, what the heck does the trigger set up look like??
Good question. Florida Gun Exchange posted the picture on their FB page and no others. I looked for more pictures and found on that shows the triggers a little bit. It is not the same gun but looks to made by the same people. 4 barrel 2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Wow, that's not a field grade gun! Definitely not if you have to carry 4 barrels. :biggrin:

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
If I remember correctly all 20 gauge shells became yellow in the 60's and is still that way. This was tried to stop some of the confusion with 12's.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not to hijack your thread.. but IF you could afford something like that, what would you want in chambered in?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Toad 67 your information regarding all 20 guage shells being yellow is incorrect. There is no industry standard which specifies that and I can show you 20ga in many colors as well as many other guages in yellow hulls. Clearly there are a few ammo makers which use yellow shells for 20ga but that is not a universal truth. The headstamp is the only fail safe way to know the guage and shell length.

The gun shown is a Vierling (vier means 4 in German) and from the engraving style I would guess it is an Austrian gun from the Ferlach area. Very expensive to manufacture these and few really want them anymore. Triggers are complex and there are about a dozen ways to switch between barrels. If we could see the left side of the gun it might be possible to figure out what the setup is for this one. I have only handled a few of these over the years and you need an instructional period to get the operation down correct. Problem is users tend to be messing with their trigger setup in the field as the situation changes and they wind up firing bird shot at a boar or rifle shot at a grouse. I guess it made sense in the days when they had mixed game hunts and had to be prepared for everything from Hirsch (European version of elk) to small game. Mostly I think they were produced to prove mine is bigger than yours mentatliy. I would much rather have a 3 barrel (drilling) 20ga in all barrels which Johann Fanzoy (Ferlach) makes. Handles like a nice ight 20 SxS and has 3 three shots with choice of different choking for each if you have it built that way. Make sure to bring along your bank account and your first born for deposit with the order.

·
Registered
210 Posts
For whomever mentioned wanting a 3 barrel shotgun, Chiappa currently makes the triple threat, 3 barreled shotgun, but it is only available in 12 gauge, but it does have 18.5" barrels, all with interchangeable choke tubes.

I think if I were to get one, I would want a 12ga shotgun barrel, 22lr barrel, and either 375 H&H mag, or 45-70 gov, as the 2 rifle barrels.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wow! I've seen a few Dreilings but never a Vierling. I guess if you could afford one, you could afford the engraving too.

Reactions: HopalongCassidy

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Agree. 20, 8mmR, Hornet. You may be surprised how little the gun weighs. The two or three that I have
handled were not very heavy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts