Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to get any of the new Hornady soft-spire point ammo for the 35 Rem version of the 336 yet??

Also, what handloads and powders are you using, and what works best for you? I have seen loads for Re-7, BLC-2, IMR 4895, H-335. The only bullets I have seen locally are the Sierra 200gr RN, the brass available has been Winchester from Midway; no one has the Speer bullets. Would appreciate any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't as of yet... just called our local brass dealer and he don't even stock any .35 Remington brass. So.... I'll just buy me another box and that will give me 60 empty cartridges to reload :D

I'll get around to ordering my empties and stuff real soon.... gonna play with the 200-gr and 220-gr bullets. I'm going to order a bunch of bullets from Marshall at Beartooth Bullets and play with these all winter.

I've got an indoor range that I'm a member of, and well winters are spent under-ground in the tubes both 50 and 100 yards.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have loaded 200 grain Hornady bullets over 37 grains of H322, and over 41 grains of Varget. Both loads proved accurate in my 1950 Ballard-rifled 336SC. Unfortunately, I have not yet shot a deer with either load. That time is coming though.

Live well

·
Registered
201 Posts
Rugercal, the only load I've worked up for my '71 microgroove is using 38 grains of H4895 with 200 grain Rem corelokts, cci 200 primers and Remington brass. Works really well for my rifle.

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
33gns of Reloader 7
158gn Hornady XTP
1.5 inch at 100yds

Gonna try em on a
yooper whitetail next
week.

This is edited on 2-21-06, my son shot a large doe with this load it took out one rib going in, made the lungs look like jello, and had an exit wound 1.5X2 taking a rib with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
Here's something a little different for you:

42.0 grains Ramshot TAC (please work up from below)
200 grain Remington Core-Lokt (fantastic bullet)
Winchester case
Winchester Large rifle primer

MV is 2250 fps from my 20" 336's. This is a very clean burning, temperature insensitive ball powder that with these charges gives good velocity with no powder compression, yet fills most of the case. It is also slower burning than H4895 in the .35 Remington, despite what the burn rate charts suggest. That's not surprising, though, when you consider that IMR 3031 has a slower burn rate in the .35 than H322, even though H322 is listed as slower than 3031. IMR 3031 is listed right next to Reloder 7 on the burn charts, but it is much slower than RL7 when loaded in the .35 Remington case.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

I use h-4895 in remington brass with the 200 gr. corlokt going out at about 2250 fps. should work on these arkansas deer but I just havent had the time to get in the woods. Just had to get a new job that started opening of modern gun season.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Accurate 2520 in my 35 Rem with the 200 gr. Rem bullet. 1" groups at 100yds. Can't locate my load data at the moment, but do remember the powder.

·
Registered
136 Posts
200gr Rem corelockt. 37.5 gr / IMR 4895

I have loaded Rem 200 gr Corelokts with 37.5 gr / IMR 4895 and Winchester standard LR primer. Have a Marlin 336C with cross-hammer safety.

I don't have a chronograph. Groups ~ 1.5-1.75" at 100 yards (5 shots). I DO have some unburned powder in the barrel. Anyone else seeing this with IMR 4895? Thinking of going to a slightly faster powder. Perhaps I can go a wee bit higher with IMR 4895, to increase pressure/velocity to try to burn all powder. It's not really causing any problems. I just don't like thinking of the following bullet having to travel over such a dirty bore.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I settled on 40.5 grains of Varget with either the Speer 180 FN (available thru Midway) or the Core-Lokt 200, either one will shoot under an inch at 50 yards, more often closer to a half-inch. R-P Brass, Federal primers, and a set of Lee's Collet Dies. That's my load story, and i'm stickin' to it!

PJ

·
Registered
331 Posts
200 grain velocites

I was wondering what velocity some of the loads mentioned were?
180/40.5 varget
200/40.5 varget
200/41.0 ram tec
Also I been useing rem brass with federal 210 match primers, 200 CLSP,and 40.5 grains of H4895. This loads padern at 3/4" at 50 yards and averge 2162 fps form a 18.5' ported barrel (336D).

Quest for 35 remington:
Which load do you prefer the h4895 or the ram tec? The extra 50 fps should get me above the 2200 mark. Also what would be the safe case life for these full loads?

I have reloaded once shot factory loads to work up to the 40.5/h4895, then reloaded these to the 40.5 load, so only 5 of these cases would have been fired twice at this load limt. The factory loads do not show any expantion above the case head the 200/40.5/h4895 load has a fare amount expansion there, however it is less than the 180/41.0 H4895 loads (they show circular machine markes from the chamber). I need to mention that all this fired brass can be completely incerted by hand into the chamber with the bolt coming to rest behind it when the lever closed (no extraction issues).

My goal would be to use the full potentcial of 35 rem in the 336 without pushing its limits. Just as manuals show 45/70 loads for trapdoor guns, marlin 1895, and modern single shots. Full potential but within safe limits.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
TJEN, the velocity for 40.5 grains of H4895 gets a little over 2200 fps from my guns, so you may see the difference 1.5 inches of barrel makes (not a whole lot).

Varget gets around 2125 fps from my 20 inch barrel using the same charge (40.5 grains). As I mentioned in the previous post, 42.0 Ramshot TAC gets 2250 fps. Varget does appear to be slower burning in the .35 Remington than H4895.

I cannot predict case life for your gun, nor can anyone else. Too many variables. However, loads in this range (2200 fps w/200 grain bullets) get around 18-20 reloads in my guns before a case head separation is imminent. I do not recommend you load them that many times with full power loads; this was just a test to determine case life in my guns. Brass should not be pushed that far if you're going to be loading properly for the .35 Remington.

Which do I like better, H4895 or Ramshot TAC? I have to admit I am pretty fond of TAC, but they are both good, so let your gun determine which one it likes best.

TAC is a very clean burning ball powder and once the powder measure is set to deliver 42 grains there is no need to weigh each charge. It is also temperature insensitive, just like H4895. 42.0 grains of TAC nicely fills the case but the charge is not compressed.

As usual, work up from below with these charges.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts