Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this at a gun show today. Owner said it was an 1894, seems to be an 1889 to me based on the serial but I don't know the difference between the 1894 and 1889. He had $375 on it and I talked him down to $325. It seemed like a decent deal so I picked it up. I know just about nothing about it. I have a bunch of 336s and could tell you just about everything their is to know about those. I know nothing about the older ones like this.
It's a round barrel, full length magazine tube, serial 788XX (puts it 1892 in my book), butt stock has a couple hairline cracks, fore stock is good, has some blue left, probably 30%, stamped 38-W on top (38-40?), patented Oct 11, 1887 and April 2 1889. Bore is pretty good, some minor pitting in about an inch of it otherwise it's clean. Overall it looks to be an honest unmolested gun that was used but not used to hard.
I'd like to shoot it, is their anything special I should know? I assume black powder ammunition only? I have a lot of experiance with black powder muzzle loaders so I know about about it being corrosive and cleaning it up already.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I don't know much about the old ones either but it sure is pretty. I'd love to have it. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
It's an 1889. The lever catch and the hammer shape, along with serial number and patent dates pretty well wrap up an ID. Light smokeless loads with lead bullets are okay. Nice rifle.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The trigger guard portion of the lever is also shaped different between the 1889 and the 1894.

And yes, 38W is 38-40.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Its an 89 like Mike said, 38W is 38/40. You can shoot it with mild smokeless loads & lead bullets, looks like a nice rifle. I think you did VERY well at that price. :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Leverdude said:
Its an 89 like Mike said, 38W is 38/40. You can shoot it with mild smokeless loads & lead bullets, looks like a nice rifle. I think you did VERY well at that price. :)
+1 on that! Good Deal

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree. I would have been all over it myself. I see this quite often that being Model 1889's listed as 1894's. Heck, I believe on Gunbroker right now there is a Model 1889 listed as a Model 1893.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts