Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say a forgotten relative left you 7 figures rather than to a shelter for homeless cats. Obviously, everyone would fill the blank holes in the Marlin collection first. For me that would be 1895 Carbines in the various calibers. Excellent condition or better, of course! :D Then what? I mean, we're all gun nuts or we wouldn't be here.

For me it would be Bergmann-Bayard auto pistols and Broomhandle Mausers. I'd try to pick up American lever-action muskets from various manufacturers, too. Maybe a Marlin belt fed or BAR.

Ah, but reality sets in. After buying school clothes & supplies, I'd be happy just to find a Marlin model 50E in excellent condition or a M95 Steyr with Czech markings. SW

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well......after a few minutes of deep thought (very few);

My Dad has a world-class collection of pre-1920 Smith & Wesson revolvers and single-shots that he has a blast collecting, and my brother collects Savage levers, so both of those are out.......

Colts ?
Winchesters ??
Naw.....way to many collectors of those already.

I guess I'd probably go after something a little more obscure. I own a Remington Model 722 in .257 Roberts and a Model 721 .300 H&H and really get a kick out of them. I think I would try to collect that line of rifles in the few various calibers and options Remington offered them in.

WB

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
After buying ONE really great, (and very early) fully engraved Marlin lever action, or Ballard, I would have to collect something uncommon.
Don't want anything that everyone else has, such as Winchesters, Remingtons, Colts, Marlins, etc.
I'm leaning towards Bullards! Single shots, repeaters, but Bullards. Not a lot of them around, very pricey, and quite unique!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If the funds weren't limited I would love to collect patent rifles, the ones submitted to get the patent, saw two such Marlins the gentleman selling wanted $100,000 each.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
original flintlocks and percussions[1750-1850 american made]the best ones out of pennsylvania and original hawkins.Mauser sporting rifles[1900-1939] while I was at it I would start a collection of Toyota landcruisers [FJ-40,s]....what state would I buy my camp in? It needs to be thick mixed conifer and hardwood forest with a small river in the mountains cold and snowy in the winter hot in the summer with plenty of deer and bear and turkey,and other wildlife.HMM... maybe a collection of camps?shootrj2003

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I'd purchase a nice scearcy double rifle or two -- maybe a .577 and 700 nitro express. Then buy a nice large chunk or land somewhere-- Alaska or Africa-- maybe both depending on how many millions you gave me!! Then I could hunt or run the camp while others hunt. MarlinOwners member can come hunt for free!!! :D
Just let me know when the money is in my bank account!! :p

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The only problem with this scenario is I DON'T have any relatives, lost or otherwise, that have that kind of dinero- 7 figures. :( (For the naysayers, yes, I've already checked into it :D )

I guess I'll have to set out and make it for myself! As a rimfire rifle nut- it's highly unlikely that I would run out of rifles to collect IF I had 7 figures :p I like em all when it comes to rimfire rifles- old ,new , weird, practical, big, small etc... you get the drift, LOL

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
719 Posts
collecting?

simple.......i would go buy Dixie Gun Works! :wink:
or maybe something smaller, like getting some Colt gatlin guns in the various cal's, :?
and of coarse, one of each year of swed m/96, and varients!!!! :D
also swiss!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
then i would visit some of you other fellows, and we would be pot-bellied stove hunters! (tellin' the tall tales by the stove!)

sounds like fun eh?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Probably rare Lugars.javascript:emoticon(':D')
javascript:emoticon(':D') What a well machined work of art. Of course it's all in the eye of the beholder. When ever I get a chance I go to Simpsons in Galesburg, IL he's one of the top Lugar dealers in the world. My head really starts to spin when he takes me back in his Lugar room to look at the hundreds of rare Lugars hanging off the wooden dolls on the wall.
Sorry I have'nt been around much lately to throw my 2 cents worth in but recently bought my retirement home in the ole U.P. of Michigan and it has kept the wife and I quite busy and broke, kinda! In fact leaving Friday morning to drive up and mow the grass.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
kaintuck,
I thought you already had one of each Swede 96 variant? :lol:

·
Banned
461 Posts
7 Figures would be a start for what I want, but I'd settle for a few very nicely engraved rare old Marlins Gold inlayed of course. Then I think I'd try to have a few custom built rifles and maybe a pistol or two.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Re: collecting?

kaintuck said:
simple.......i would go buy Dixie Gun Works!
LOL, I live about 30 minutes from 'em. Nice place to visit but their prices on antique Marlins are a bit on the ridiculous side when you've got the gun in your hand. Still like to go look once in a while. Every time I go to Union City, I try and convince Mrs Willy that they're having a sale and I need to go check it out. She don't believe a word of it. I think she's onto me.

If I had a 7 figure inheritence fall into my lap (about as likely as Halley's Comet swinging by this week), I'd like get a collection of 44-40 Marlins and Remington revolvers from the 1858 to the last ones. All in excellant condition with some shooters thrown in as well.

Willy

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am personally aware of a fellow forum member from the west coast who fancies one of every model firearm ever used by the Swiss military, but I ain't namin' names!! :wink: :D SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
aaahhhhh..........

SOME people just think swiss in smaller scales, buttstock first, a little later thay will realize that ballards are ok, but the schutzens are the best, and where can you find the mostest schutzens every year? SWITZERLAND! :D
the truth hurts.... :wink:
ahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha........
i put my marlins next to the sweds an swiss rifles, so that 'natural acuracy rubs off onto my marlins! 8)
hehehehehehhe...................

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
DOH!!!! You guys are making me mad now! :wink: I'm gonna take a hacksaw and cut off all my funny lookin buttplates!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Supermodels!

just kidding, I probably couldn't handle a collection of those.

G

·
I'd have to keep going with the Marlin's also the Stevens 44 1/2 guns turn me on (25-20SS,28-30,32-40,38-55),kinda like that schuetzen thing . Also like the new CPA version of the 44 1/2. But the ultimat would have to be matched pairs in each gauge of Boss side by sides ( 10,12,16,20,28,410)and possibly matched pairs of Boss over and unders in 16 and 28. Have a W.W.Greener and a Westley Richards and a few Parkers ,LC Smith and Fox . But none of those are in the same class with the Boss, well maybe the higher grade Parkers; what the heck BHE's in every gauge in Parker's would also be necessary. And last but not least we need a Super Crown Grade Krieghoff K-80 set up with three barrels ;28" skeet with Kolar tubes,32" o/u for trap double's and 34" unsingle for 16yard line and handicap. But I can always think of more :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: aaahhhhh..........

i put my marlins next to the sweds an swiss rifles, so that 'natural acuracy rubs off onto my marlins! 8)
hehehehehehhe...................[/quote]

Better be careful with the gun vault arrangements- the offspring can be a little strange- I had an 1890 Win pump .22 next to my 39-A in the vault rack- end result was a Marlin 20 pump :shock:

I wonder if I got a 28 gauge into the Marlin corner of the vault, just what manner of 38-55 would result????

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I put my 1881 next to my Schuetzen rifles, and the darn thing grew a Swiss buttplate! :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts