Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally buying a press through Midway and while I have to have something shipped I thought I might as well order other necessary components on the same order. I have dies and a digital caliper and a scale (been preparing for this for a while). What else should I consider getting right off the bat. Not that worried about the cost but don't feel like buying everthing under the sun just to say I have it, either. You longtime reloaders, would really value your input on what you use regularly and consider a "must" for the reloader and then perhaps some components that would be useful but not necessarily a "must". Thanks for your inputs!!! JOHN

·
Registered
202 Posts
Loading blocks, at least three.

Lee Autoprimer.

Case length gauge and trimmer.

Case chamfer tool.

Plastic ammo boxes.

Labels for the boxes.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
You'll want a powder measure pretty quickly, once you get tired of weighing each charge.
Here's the tools I use regularly:
Press-(with set of shell holders)
Dies
Powder measure
Lee hand priming tool-(with a set of shell holders)
Scale
case trimmer
dial calipers

A kinetic bullet puller is a nice item, and you will use it eventually. Not regularly, but when you need it, it's irreplaceable!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been using RCBS File Trim Dies since way back. They are very easy to use to trim case length. You don't need a caliper to use them either.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Riflemanz said:
Powder trickler.Load books.Bullet hammer(puller)
Hornadys one shot spray lube.Tumbler.

I cant believe "trickler" was missed until the above post :lol:

PRIMER POCKET CLEANER :wink:

You'll also need loading data. Get a Hodgdons, first off. Then pickup the little booklets that are specific to the cartridge....this will be a blend of powder companies, bullets and etc type guides coming together in one little (and very handy) book for 6clams.

Later on you'll really want to pick up a chrony...this is the stage I'm at presently.

Perferator

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Forget the expensive case lubes....get your wife's can of PAM out of the cupboard!

Perferator

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Go to gmusials web site and get the RCBS cd of reloading manuals. Starts you off with 10 or 11 manuals and can add more. Lots of info and calculators on the cd. Gives you easily accessed material and lots cheaper and faster than buying the manuals in paper.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I like the Lee AutoPrime II better than the handjob because it has a steel body and because it uses the regular shell holders. I have had a couple of the hand primers break over the years and needing special shellholders is a pain. Having had a disk tray on a Lee Pro 1000 blow up on me, I ain't real crazy about priming in my lap, neither.

If cast bullets are in the picture, you should also get the Lee Universal Expander.

Get a primer pocket cleaner and a deburring/chamfering tool, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts