Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the AS stands for with a Malin 30/30 Model 30AS? I have read that the model 30 is a less expensive version of the 336 with a birch stock stained as a dark walnut with no checkering. But mine has checkering with a lighter color finish than what I see at the gun counter. It also has a good from site and not the metal tab that some people refer to. Is there also a good description on how to clean this gun. Would a bore snake be a good investment? This is my first rifle. My other guns are shot guns.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sometime around the late 70's, I think, Marlin changed the Model 30 designation to 30-A. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.)

When the crossbolt Safety was added, the designation became the 30-AS.

In terms of cleaning it, the best way is to remove the bolt and clean it from the breech--but to be honest, I just clean mine from the muzzle (being careful not to whack the barrel crown).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I called Marlin and the customer service was no help at all. She just said that the AS stood for a different model. Duh!!! At least I will be able to get a manual for it. After some surfing on the web I was able to pull a maunual off the internet for a 336 which had some cleaning instructions on it and showed how to remove the bolt. Very easy once it is shown to you. I'm still confused why my gun has the better sights and cross hatching on the stock and hand grip when I see everyone saying that the model 30's did not come like that. I'm not complaining mind you, only wondering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts