Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Does a New Marlin "X" Gun With Necessary Mods Really Cost?

A friend came over yesterday with his newly purchased Marlin XL7 .30-06 Blue / Black Syn. He had broken off the head of the frontmost (from other posts this hole sounds like the most troublesome) scope base mounting screw. He had his Wheeler FAT wrench set at close to 18 in-lbs. (Suggested Torque is 18 to 20) We drilled it out without damaging the receiver threads. Why would Remlin supply such inferior scope base screws? Any way it got me to thinking ... what does it really cost for reliable funtioning Marlin XL7 / XS7?

Jerry's Sports Center Price 7-23-11
Marlin XS7 .243 Blue / Black Syn. - $269.99
Jerry's 2.5% CC Charge - 6.75
Shipping 18.00
Tranfer Fee (For those w/o FFL) - 25.00
6-48 x 3/16" Base Screws - 12 Pkg. 8.99
Brownells # 080-535-643
Marlin Aluminum Trigger Guard 13.41
Brownells # 550-000-280
Savage Extactor 5.99
Brownells # 855-000-018
Actual Cost $348.13

Still the "Best Budget Blaster" out there; why wouldn't Remington ditch the 770 & put the XL7 / XS7s back in the Chain Stores so the "Average Joe" would would have acces to them & not have to go through a Dealer??? I might just have to get another for a "Doner" Action!

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts
Re: What Does a New Marlin "X" Gun With Necessary Mods Really Cost?

Can't address the NEW x guns, but to get my XL7 30-06 to shoot righteous enough, I put a Burris 3-9x40 bdc scope on it for 2 bills, a box of 165 gr Remington ammo and shot it....nuther words nuttin! The way it should be!!! ;D Mr fixit

·
Registered
981 Posts

All I did with my '06 "X" gun is mount s scope and go shooting. It never needed anything else.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I have a .308 that is added a scope n bases too. I also added a boyds walnut stock to it and I love my rifle. Last time out I shot 1 n 1/4 inches at 100 yards. I need more practice cuz this rifle can shoot.

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts

Gotta say that Marlin got the XL/XS series right from what my XL7 is showing me and from what I've read about the XS. Perfection in a box dang near. Mr fixit

·
Banned
2,359 Posts

Did nothing but mount a scope and shoot.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I stumbled across an old stock 270 with a camo stock for 299. The SN began with XL7. I should probably go back for it, but I'm looking for a JM barrel in a 243. I already have a 30-06 and the mods I've done are floating the barrel and replaced the trigger guard. The trigger guard was already cracked when I removed it for a replacement metal one.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts

I didn't add any mods to either one of mine. Put a scope on and enjoyed my money that was well spent! I'm still searching for a real 30-06, maybe find one this weekend at the gun show. Why put a metal trigger guard on for? My .243 took a nasty fall down a hill side and it didn't break. It got banged up pretty good but its fixed and looking pretty again.

·
Registered
148 Posts

For me the trigger guard was more preemptive security, rather than looks. My concern came after removing the stock for the first time after purchasing it new and seeing a small fracture in the rear screw hole of the plastic trigger guard and being that this is the same screw that extends into the tang, you can understand my concern. You can't just tighten the screw should the rear trigger guard hold completely fail as turning the screw in would impede the bolt travel. For less than a box of cartridges and a little modification it gives me a little piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts

Well I'll be an SOB. Just checked my .243 and it IS cracked right there. Hairline crack. I guess I never noticed it. I just expected the whole guard to break. My .308 is good. Well I must retract my previous post.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Midway had trigger gaurds on sale in this months flier. Blue or stainless.

·
Registered
148 Posts

The Part number from Brownells # 550-000-151

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts

h2opumper said:
The Part number from Brownells # 550-000-151
That one is silver. I prefer black, but those are on backorder. I'd hate to put in another order to Brownells for more parts. Considering that I haven't got my feed throat kit for my 60 yet. They told me they were suppose to get 3 shipments in by now.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I ran into a 270 at a Gander Mountain on closeout for 247 on Sunday. Needless to say it came home with me. I already floated it and ordered in a silver metal trigger guard. I only chose silver so I can easily identify it against my 30-06 X gun when they're side-by-side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts