Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 336w with the synthetic stock in 30-30 with the nikon 3 x 9 x 40 scope that has been on sale from $179 to $100. My local LGS has a slightly used JM 336c for $400, that I would try to trade for,I like the wood stock better, but also think the synthetic stock would make a good beater rifle when carrying a portable treestand and rifle in to go hunting.
So what do you think?
Bill

·
Premium Member
8,488 Posts
I have a 35R with a syn stock and its not for sale - even though I now have 30-30 AI that I like a lot the syn stock gets the nod for poor weather and the thick stuff....its a go anywhere anytime rifle - keep the W and pick up another somewhere down the line

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
Another thought is to buy a wood stock set for your current gun. That way you could swap them as desired in about 10 minutes. Personally I would sell the gun myself vs ever taking a beating on a trade. I quit trading with dealers years ago and if I see something I want, I either buy it outright or put it in layaway until I have the funds to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Why trade? Do you not like or want the 336W any more? Do you only want one rifle? Like the others have mentioned if possible, have them both. Maybe, a payment plan can be worked out. I have purchased three firearms that way. I am thinking about doing that for another now. Maybe, this Fall for a 1894CB.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Keep the 336W and also buy the JM Marlin 30-30. then you'll have a bad weather rifle and a genuine JM both in 30-30. Then you can hunt for a JM 1895 or .450 marlin or a .444 or a 35 Rem. Marlin.....well ...you get the idea.

This will give you "Marlinitis" status here on MO forum too.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
When I was a young man with kids and budget was tight, I bought guns and lots of other stuff on a "90 day same as cash plan." 25 % down and 3 payments at 30-60-90 days. I don't know if businesses offer such anymore, but we used it on guns, furniture, and appliances as needed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really wasn't looking for a new 30-30 ,where I already have a glenfield model 30, a T\C rifle barrel and 14" pistol barrel, so I don't need 2 more 30-30s.Also being laid off I could use that money for something else, like a .357 or .44.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I really wasn't looking for a new 30-30 ,where I already have a glenfield model 30, a T\C rifle barrel and 14" pistol barrel, so I don't need 2 more 30-30s.Also being laid off I could use that money for something else, like a .357 or .44.
Well that certainly puts a wrinkle into the purchase. In that case, I wouldn't go walking into any more guns stores. :wink:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I went and did it. I put a deposit on the 336C.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just traded in the 336w , paid $346 for it, and put a $8 scope base ( actually had a scope on it,but they wouldn't give me crap for it, so I took the scope and rings off ) . They gave me $340 for it,and I bought a 336 .35 cal . Thought it was a good deal, and put a leupold vx3i 2.5 x 8. Got 20% off the scope. Picked up some old remington kean bore core lock rounds

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.