Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local gun shop contacted me to say he had this one for sale, he think inlay on stock and polished receiver are factory options, I don't think so? Also where Bullseye should be a brass plate has been fitted all very well done but not sure what modifications have done to value. I have dated it as 1953 and it all seems to work ok although he has not given price yet 20140804_163421.jpg 20140804_163430.jpg

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Agree not factory JM Marlin. Rifle has a good look to it, and the stock is good looking. Good Optics. A large part of the value of a 39M is it being factory original. Disregarding the potential value of the scope, to my eyes, the stock represents a deduction equal to the value of stock replacement.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Looks aftermarket to me. Also the receiver is too shiny and some of the screw holes look washed out, indicating re finish. I would want to buy it as a shooter, and if the bore and crown are good, it likely shoots well.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
It looks nice. Possibly been blued. Still will make a good shooter and that is exactly what they are for. Inlays are liked by some but I can do with out them. I would lower the scope down.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
I would buy that in a heartbeat if the price was right and it looked to be done professionaly.

James

Reactions: Blackbarry

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Definitely not factory...but the inlays are well done and certainly don't detract from the appearance of the rifle. Someone spent a fair amount of time, or money, to do that bit of customizing.

It depends on the reason you want to buy it. As a collectable, it's value is lessened, as much as by the metal refinishing as the stock work. As a shooter, that one could have just as much pride of ownership in, as did the one who lavished that time and effort upon it...I find it attractive and would be willing to pay a bit of a premium over a simply polished and reblued example.

It does have a very good scope and I agree, all it needs is a set of lower rings. Price would be the deciding factor here.

Roe

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Is the barrel 20" or 24" ? A 1953 Mountie would have a 24" barrel and would not have "MOUNTIE" on barrel. What is serial prefix?

Reactions: toad67

·
Registered
434 Posts
Based on the barrel markings, it can't be any older than 1957. It's neat looking, but I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it. If anything a little less. I put my guess in as 1957-1962.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think we get too consumed with value as in "Will I double my money in the future if I decide to sell it"? This is beautiful in its own right due to the customization. Buy it quickly or someone else will. You obviously like it, but "one off" art works only have a proper value to the buyer. Does it speak to you? Is it constantly on your mind and giving you no peace? 'Nuff said.....

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I personally would love to own that rifle!
I think it is one of a kind.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I think we get too consumed with value as in "Will I double my money in the future if I decide to sell it"? This is beautiful in its own right due to the customization. Buy it quickly or someone else will. You obviously like it, but "one off" art works only have a proper value to the buyer. Does it speak to you? Is it constantly on your mind and giving you no peace? 'Nuff said.....
Heck, I agree ^^^^^....even the factory rifles are "put together" one piece at a time so ??......... a lot of us like unique rifle/shotguns and will pay for them, so I say jump on it if the price is right.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Local gun shop contacted me to say he had this one for sale, he think inlay on stock and polished receiver are factory options, I don't think so? Also where Bullseye should be a brass plate has been fitted all very well done but not sure what modifications have done to value. I have dated it as 1953 and it all seems to work ok although he has not given price yet View attachment 113681 View attachment 113682
inlay looks well done , over all Nice looking JM for sure... but watch them dealers on that price... just because he think's it's a factory custom model .... tell him to prove that to you .... scope isn't worth much.... Magnum

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I beg to differ Magnum. A Leupold M8 4X is a $150 to $180 scope all day long. May not be worth much to you, but it does add value to the package.

Roe
I also feel the scope adds to the rifle. I love 22's with M8 4x scopes. If I cleaned my safe out and counted how many 22's I have scoped that way I would probably think, Where did all these 4x Leupolds come from?

·
Registered
826 Posts
You ask what I think? IMHO, I think it is a shame some "Bubba" did what was done to this classic Marlin. Why do people do these things??:hmmmm: It makes about as much sense as changing out an all original classic car. I am a purist, that is just how I am wired. I guess to each his own? Again just MHO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts