Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this white coloring to the engraving on my M1A and I thought it turned out nice. So I decided to do it to my 1950 Marlin 336SC in .35 Rem and here's the result. I'm not sure if I like it as much as the M1A because the engraving on the 336 wasn't as deep and precise so it doesn't look as complete. But I couldn't believe how easy this was to do this, so I hope I can undo as easily. Any comments - good or bad!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thumbs down from me. When I started seeing youngsters doing it to their Glocks and SW Glock copies, I just said.....Why? Just my opinion. If it doesn’t improve the sights, slick up the action, or make the trigger better, not for me. But, I am old....., and you should not care about my opinion of your firearm painting techniques.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Well, you asked for it. I don't like it. If the gun came from the factory with white fill, and you are sprucing it up, that's one thing. But, to add white fill just to make it more, i dunno, whatever, blech. Sorry kid, if it does not add or improve function, or restore some original appearance, my way of thinking is leave it alone. Just being honest.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
I really like it on the M1A.
I like how the larger flowing script of the The Marlin Firearms Co came out, but the smaller script under it distracts from it.

The important thing is if you like it. It's part of making it your own.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you like it, that’s good enough for me. I do like the look, but doubt I would do it to my guns, just not my bag baby.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Wouldn’t do it to my rifles, but doesn’t look bad either. Wont it wipe off when you rub an oily rag over it?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
While not my style, I am in the "it's your gun, do as you please" school. Still, it puts me in mind of those fellows who have a Chevrolet (or whatever) truck and put a big "Chevy" decal on the rear window. Being a smarta**, I always want to ask them, "What brand of truck have you got there?":wink:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know you asked for our opinion, but really, if it pleases you, that is all that matters. It is your weapon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for their opinion - that's what I was asking for, good or bad. As I said in the original post, it didn't strike me the same as with the M1A coloring. By doing the M1A, I could see the elevation and windage markings a whole lot easier so there was a benefit to it as well. Good thing this coloring is with a white grease pencil so it should be easy to remove. Always looking for an honest opinion!

·
Registered
328 Posts
How did you do it?

Thanks to everyone for their opinion - that's what I was asking for, good or bad. As I said in the original post, it didn't strike me the same as with the M1A coloring. By doing the M1A, I could see the elevation and windage markings a whole lot easier so there was a benefit to it as well. Good thing this coloring is with a white grease pencil so it should be easy to remove. Always looking for an honest opinion!

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
I did that on my military rifles so that I could see the serial numbers but I personally would not do that to my other firearms. If anything I would just highlight the caliber so as to easily see what caliber the firearm is chambered for. I build my own AR uppers and have many different calibers some of them would chamber very similar rounds if mixed up like 6.8 SPC and 224 Valkarie (Use the same shell). Also on 458 Socom,450 Bushmaster, 50 Beowulf---all of the uppers look the same so I highlight the caliber so I can easily identify them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.