Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I had my 30-30 336 the Remington Core-Lokt 170gr shot the best out of all the others I tested.

Is the Remington Core-Lokt a good shell for the 45-70 also?

I want the largest grain shell I can get thats pretty accurate at 150 yards

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure what you are going to use it for or your limit for cost. Remington makes a 405 grain factory load that shoots very well and the cost is about $35 a box. Cor-Bon makes a 460 grain hard cast load. Buffalo Bore makes a 430 grain hard cast load. Garrett also makes some heavy loads up to 540 grains. Unless you are going after dangerous game I think I would give the Remington 405's a try as the cost will be much easier on you then the other three. You may find that your 45-70 shoots 300 or 350's just as well as heavy bullets. What model of 45-70 and what game if any are you aiming at?

Domenic

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im getting the 1895 GBL.
Ill be stalking and also shooting hogs from a stand. Probably nothing over 150 yards.
I wanna hit'em real hard and make a big mess,,,ya know.
I just want something big, heavy and accurate.

The 405 sounds good for the price. Where can I find some ballistics on the 45-70?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Randy Garrett's is the best stuff out there.
Im sure glad I make my own, I couldn't afford his.

·
Super Moderator
16,306 Posts

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
As has been mentioned the Remington 405gr is about the biggest within reasonable costs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unless you are looking to hunt dangerous game the Remminton 405's. If you are hunting dangerous game or somewhere you realistically might run into danagerous game, I'd say Garrett or Buffalo Bore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts