Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I had my 30-30 336 the Remington Core-Lokt 170gr shot the best out of all the others I tested.

Is the Remington Core-Lokt a good shell for the 45-70 also?

I want the largest grain shell I can get thats pretty accurate at 150 yards

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure what you are going to use it for or your limit for cost. Remington makes a 405 grain factory load that shoots very well and the cost is about $35 a box. Cor-Bon makes a 460 grain hard cast load. Buffalo Bore makes a 430 grain hard cast load. Garrett also makes some heavy loads up to 540 grains. Unless you are going after dangerous game I think I would give the Remington 405's a try as the cost will be much easier on you then the other three. You may find that your 45-70 shoots 300 or 350's just as well as heavy bullets. What model of 45-70 and what game if any are you aiming at?

Domenic

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im getting the 1895 GBL.
Ill be stalking and also shooting hogs from a stand. Probably nothing over 150 yards.
I wanna hit'em real hard and make a big mess,,,ya know.
I just want something big, heavy and accurate.

The 405 sounds good for the price. Where can I find some ballistics on the 45-70?

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts

·
Registered
32,325 Posts
As has been mentioned the Remington 405gr is about the biggest within reasonable costs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.