Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked a million times before but do you guys think its worth converting a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. to 356 Win.? What are the pro's and con's with this conversion? I have a 356 Win. in a Winchester model 94, but I really perfer the Marlin over the Winchester. Thank's.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think if you can find a good deal on a 35Rem, say $150 for a functioning one, then it is well worth the $95 to have Nonnemans do the conversion.
Now you have a Marlin in 356 for less than the cost of either brand in original configuration in 356.
Ranger

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Not worth the difference,so why?????

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I guess the question I would ask myself is, will I shoot this gun a lot, after the conversion is done?
The .356 Win is about 300-400 fps faster than the .35 Rem, and where the .35 is a comfortable gun to spend a day with, at the range, the .356 might leave you a bit sore! While most loads in the .35 are under 2,000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle, the .356 will develope 2600 ft lbs with ease!
That's not the kind of recoil in a lightweight gun, that's conducive to a day of plinking! By the end of a box of ammo, I'd be wishing for my .35 Rem back. If I already had a gun in .356, I'd keep my .35 for more enjoyable shooting.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good point MM, but just as you can load plinkers for the 45-70, as hot loads in 45-70 will always be way more uncomfortable than hot loads for the 356, you can load plinkers for the 356 as well.
Ranger

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Only question I would have is why, if you had one in each caliber, would you want two of the same caliber? Sure you can load plinkers in any caliber, but I like to have variety, so I'd load plinkers in the .35 Rem and the .356 W., rather than plinkers in two .356 Win. rifles. Unless NY Hunter is planning to sell the Win. it still wouldn't make sense to rechamber the 336 to .356 W.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marlinman93, I've always wanted a Marlin 336 cambered in 356 Win. I like the ballistic's of the 356 Win.
I kind of stumbled across the Winchester. A guy I work with bought it about ten years ago for $200 and thats all he wanted for it, I couldn't pass it up! Its in really good condition. I gave it to my dad. He'll probably never use it , but oh well.
I love my Marlin 336CS (35 Rem.) rifle. It has a 20 inch barrel and a full length magazine tube. I think the 336ER (356 Win.) has a half length magazine tube like my 444 Marlin. Its not really a big deal, but I do perfer the full length magazine tube. Money wise it would probably be a lot cheaper to convert my rifle then by a 336ER.

·
Registered
175 Posts
N.Y. Hunter......... Are you talking about converting your existing .35-Rem., or are you considering picking up a used one in good working order?
If you'll still have your original 336, than I say go for it. But if this conversion is going to leave you without a .35-Rem., than I say you should really think this over and be real sure you can live without your 35-Remmie...I know I couldn't.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ringo, yes I would use the 35 Rem. I already have. I'm still not sure I want to have it done, thats why I asked for your opinion's. Thank's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts