Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody has their idea of what a successful fishing trip is. I fish quite often but not as much as some of my friends and work acquaintances. I am just happy to be outdoors taking it all in. Catching a fish is just a bonus. I do not care too much for driving several hours just fish a small pond or stream. I enjoy still fishing on the ocean just as much as fly fishing in a stream.

My friends Sean and Greg always take things to other limit. Their successful trip is a calculation of Beer-Fish-Miles. If I remember correctly the Beer Fish Miles calculation had to be over 200 to be considered a success. Beer Fish Miles is the simple multiplication of the the amount of fish caught, the number of miles driven, and number of beers drank. Trips of 1000 beer-fish-miles are routine for them.
Greg planned a trip to an area that most could not get into due to the bad roads and terrain. Greg spent several months planning and building homemade brush guards and rocker panel guards to his Toyota pickup with the intent of getting in to the fishing hole without sustaining damage. We had to listen to planning saga over and over again. Thank god the day for the trip finally came so we did not have to listen to it any more.
Sean and Greg made it through the rough areas, scraping and bouncing in over the rocks and washouts, with only minor damage to the mighty Toyota. They finally arrived only to see that somebody else was already there - in a Datsun B-210! They literally beat that old Datsun over the rocks and ditches to get into that fishing hole. The rocker panels were completely crushed, doors dented in, and the front and rear bumper pans were mangled. Sean, the ever entertaining story teller, reveled in the re-telling of the mighty Datsun fish car.

What do you consider a successful fishing trip? What is your most entertaining fishing story?

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
I have done a lot of fishing of all kinds. Caught limits of pan fish and specks and large mouth bass on the local lakes, Dolphin,Grouper and yellow tail in the keys and grouper, trout, red's, king fish,Spanish mackerel and others in the Florida Gulf. I favor salt water fishing as something will be caught even if only a small shark or pin fish. Of course fishing in the Key's with family and Costa Rica with my best friend are great memories. Here is a picture of myself and my son in the Key's in 1996.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
For me, a successful fishing trip is one where I come home bone tired, but relaxed.
If the scenery, wether it's good looking women in swimwear or nature, is enjoyable, then catching fish is a secondary benefit.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
My best fishing trip was this last one I just took. I’ve had this boat for 16 years and my son has never asked or wanted to go fishing. He loves going for rides and swimming off the boat, bringing his friends out. Not to long ago he asked if he could go, I was shocked. He bought a license and off we went yesterday for his first deep sea trip. He loved it and when we got back was asking about what type of rod setup he should buy. He wants to go again and bring one of his friends along, glad to have them aboard.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
When I get back home with no damage to the boat, no injuries to myself, and a few fish in the cooler.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
When I was still fishing tourny's we used to say a bad day on the lake still beat hell out of work...

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
My first Sailfish was very interesting, got him to the boat, got the leader touch & then got bit in half by a shark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,527 Posts
My first Sailfish was very interesting, got him to the boat, got the leader touch & then got bit in half by a shark
As many salt water fish as I have caught a sail fish is not one of them. Glad you didn't try to grab the leader while it was still under water.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
M
As many salt water fish as I have caught a sail fish is not one of them. Glad you didn't try to grab the leader while it was still under water.
My second sailfish was more of a success, but we couldn’t get him to swim alone. Brought him onboard & made smoked fish dip! Trump’s BDay 1.5 miles east of Mar A Lago
5CAB1995-0B31-4A25-91F9-C5E35BC4DE58.jpeg

·
Registered
19,567 Posts
I do enjoy goin' out, but never considered myself much of a TRUE "fisherman". To me, like hunting, just being out there and able to enjoy nature is the reward!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Finding and reading the note your wife left in the tackle box.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
I been on a good many fishing trips in my life. Many trips we caught lots of fish. A couple trips we got skunked. Other than an usually large fish being caught the trips are more memorable by something that happened on the trip. Like hitch ball snapping off going 70mph in Toronto, buddy falling out of boat when water was 33 degrees, passing Kenworth hauling hogs and hog piss taking the paint right off my brand new Chevy, yep we always had fun and every trip was successful. We got there and got back without losing anybody.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Success varies. Couple of my most memorable happened in the fall when things were winding down. Caught 3 bass one time in late September in one lake and last year 1 bass in another. Days were getting shorter and colder and the traditional methods were not working. Fall fishing tends to see fewer fish but larger ones. Water gets crystal clear.
Yesterday I took the daughter and SIL out. Its been slow lately and we caught one fish. The daughter caught a 4 pound walleye and was totally excited about it. Nice day to be out on the lake.
No formula for what makes a good day, you just gotta be there.

DEP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts