Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a Marlin 1895G, new in the box, on Gunbroker for three days. It has a 91 serial number and something stamped on the left side of the barrel near the receiver. Nothing stamped on the other side. So I emailed and called the seller and, sure enough, it was JM stamped.

So I purchased the rifle for $430 plus 8.5% tax and will drive down to pick it up next Friday or Saturday because it is in my home state. So no shipping charges.

No, I did not get to actually hold the Gide Gun and look it over but the photos were nice and showed things I could see like wood to metal fit, wood finish were nice.

I cannot understand why this rifle did not get snapped up before I bought it .............. any ideas?

And please wish me luck on this purchase, I will be a little nervous until I get it in my hands.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
PICS would help.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
Timing sometimes. I bought an 1894P for $325 a couple of years ago off of GB during the superbowl. Congrats on the 1895G. You know I like em a lot.. It is a JM and a 2009 model so not for me but I do like a Guide Gun. They have to be ported to join my herd. Post some pics when you get a chance.

1895gunner

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Because she was ment to be yours. Don't question your good fortune. One of the last JM Marlins...

It is a good thing that not everyone is as nuts about Marlins as those on this Forum are.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
You've heard that ol sayin "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Maybe it'll be a good deal for you.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Timing & fate. I did the same with a ported 1895GS a couple months ago. I must have been about the first to see the $500 Buy Now price, and Trust me when I say I about busted my finger Hitting the button!!!!# :marchmellow:

Congrats to you!
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that's the one. I emailed Bill last night and then we talked on the phone this morning. I will drive down there next Saturday and have full inspection privileges before I buy.

Hopefully, all will be well.

I have purchased quite a few Marlins lately, several made by Remington. The good thing is that on the one with a problem I took it to Sportsworld in Tulsa for repair. They are a local warranty repair location so I don't have to ship it back.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's great that you get to inspect it Bluesman...for me, having it shipped, there was no inspection period and it was listed as-is, so it was a bigger gamble for me than for you. It sure looked purty, so I hope it checks out okay and I will then be glad someone here got to take advantage of the low price! :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Some days you're the bullet, other days you're the primer.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I just can not help but see that as is no returns or exchanges.
To me that is what would stop me from buying a gun from a dealer if they want to be reputable they should offer a return or inspection period on it.
When you get there look it over and keep us posted see if the guy acts decent if you ask him question and inspect the rifle or if he gets an attitude.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Bluesman...also, check the sights good...in his reply to me when I asked about the condition of the gun, he said the "front & rear sights appear to be fine". Well, with not being able to inspect the gun myself, I just couldn't rely on his definition of "appear", as it is very subjective. He was more definitive about other things, though..."mag tube fine; no rough action cycling; no visible gaps".

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I'm with HIKayaker and others, it was meant to happen. Karma, just good karma :biggrin:.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Agree to closely check the sights; the front was clearly off on my Remlin 1895G, but Remington thought it was fine, and sent it back untouched and un-repaired. A trip to Ranger Point Precision was necessary to fix what were obviously factory defects.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
As previously stated, bid timing is everything on auctions.
When you really get lucky, you'll find a gem which is oddly listed....like "old double barrel" which was actually a Marlin 36 30-30.
Sloppy listings can provide anguish (for having missed the bid period), humor ( for the silly decriptions), and occasionally a really good deal.

The mention above of finding good deals during the superbowl is simply brilliant... I need to remember that.

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Yep, that's the one. I emailed Bill last night and then we talked on the phone this morning. I will drive down there next Saturday and have full inspection privileges before I buy.

Hopefully, all will be well.

I have purchased quite a few Marlins lately, several made by Remington. The good thing is that on the one with a problem I took it to Sportsworld in Tulsa for repair. They are a local warranty repair location so I don't have to ship it back.
If you get to inspect it before you buy it,you are golden.What more can you ask for.I am skeptical on buying from Gunbroker because I like to inspect my rifle first.That is why I like the local shops better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts