Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the Marlin 336 in .35 cal. that has a 69 in the serial number, then a space and 6 more numbers. Has walnut stock with the bullseye and the Marlin Man logo in a nickle size medallion with 1970 in it.

·
Super Moderator
5,555 Posts
sounds like an 1870-1970 commemorative model to me, but I'm no expert

JD

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense but it has the 69 in the serial number. I looked at a 30/30 on gunbroker and it had 70 in front of the serial number. Have I got a early model or something.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
bassman 1, the way things used to be done (not sure about now) at Marlin, Winchester, and perhaps others, was receivers and other parts, were built and placed in parts bins. As they were used, others were put in on top. Sometimes the overlap went on for a while. My Octagon, released in 1973 only, is on a 1972 receiver. This is not unusual, as several like dates for octagons have been reported. I also have a Winchester Model 70 with a receiver dating to 1938. The barrel is dated 1940. I doubt it was re barreled at Winchester. The original owner (a family friend) also had a .30-06 purchased at about the same time.

Cousin bought all his Winchesters when the gentleman gave up hunting in the early sixties.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Yup, just leftover parts used the following year. Happened all the time but nobody ever would notice because there wasn't a second part of the gun that dated it differently than the receiver.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, but mine's a 1969, 1970 model. That and 54 cents will get you a senior cup of coffee at McDs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts