Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Texas. New member but a long time lurker with a question. My son's friend has a 45/70 marlin he's trying to sell. I haven't seen pics and won't be able to look at it until Wednesday but I'm trying to get an idea of what it might be and a fair value on a apparently lightly used gun. The only details I have are that it's a marlin 45/70 with a octagonal barrel longer than my guide gun. Who wants to venture a guess? Thanks Bryan

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
That sounds like a 1895 CB--a cowboy model. They are very pricey on the online gun sale sites. I have seen some go for over $1000 in VG+ condition. Local prices will depend on your market. That Marlin would be worth getting if it is reasonably priced. Pics of it would help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really thinking that it could be a cowboy. I'll try to get him to send me some pics so I can get an idea what it is and how much it might lighten my wallet.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Take a look on Gunbroker.com or GunsAmerica.com to get an idea what they are going for. Keep in mind local prices could be very different--depends on your market.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there bftx -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. There are five other possibilities as well. These are the Limited Series numbered I through V. Try to get a picture of the roll stamp in the barrel. The Cowboys are the only octagonal barrels that measure 26" from the face of the bolt. All the Limited's are 24" barreled guns with the exception of the III which is somewhere around 18". Here's my Limited II...

View attachment 106126

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help folks! Hopefully I'll have some pics tomorrow but worst case scenario I'll have to wait until Wednesday to actually put my grubby paws on it and see exactly what it is. He also said he has what he thinks is an 1860 clone rossi in 45 colt. I have a feeling Wednesday is going to be an expensive day for me.:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
WHY CANT MY KIDS HAVE FRIENDS LIKE THAT!!!! lol I think my son needs better friends since they dont have either an 1895CB or LTD to sell

Doc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I missed my chance at buying a very nice 1895CB. While the seller and I were trying to decide on a price we could Both be happy with someone else offered him a price he just couldn't pass up. He sold the 2 rifles in question for $1600 so my search for a CB continues......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.