Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question? I have a Marlin 39M that someone prior to me owned and they took what appears to be a wire brush or wire wheel to a couple spots on the receiver and barrel and thus has badly worn/damaged/removed the bluing.Why?? Who knows? There is no rust though and the wood is very good.Because of these a fore mentioned (bubba'd flaws) I have been contemplating having the rifle re-blued by a professional company that was previously approved by Marlin once they knew Remington was buying them ( as it was explained to me anyway?). Once said rifle has been re-blued I was then going to request that said company publish a letter (with their letter head) which states they are a Marlin authorized service center and that they re-blued Marlin 39M SN# XXXXXX. Said letter would then go with the rifle forever more. My question being...would this letter qualify my rifle as being considered still factory original, because a Marlin authorized service center did the work and not just some bubba? Thoughts please. Thanks

• :biggrin:
  • Okay... perhaps I asked the wrong question above? Maybe I should have asked. How much would having the 39M re-blued by Marlin service center affect its value VS the way it sits now?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't think it qualifies as a "factory original".... because it isn't. The reason why it was re-blued does not mitigate the fact that it was re-blued. The letter only calls attention to the change.

Reactions: Remy103

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
I had a Ruger pistol that was reblued at the factory. I saved the paperwork so that the buyer could trace it's pedigree. My personal opinion is that a factory reblue is somewhat more valuable than a private smith. That said, the quality of a reblue is what really matters to me. Ruger's work, by the way, was way better than any others I've seen. Perhaps because they use the same process and chemicals as the originals. AC

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
After you re blue it you will have more $$ into it than it is worth, so it's a mute point. If you want a mint one, be patient and it will come along and don't spend foolish money trying to turn something into something that it's not. Also if it doesn't have the box and all of the other goodies then it's not factory original to me any way.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I agree with toad67. Shoot it,enjoy it.But don't sink money into it that you may never get back.Save the money towards a nicer used 39a.Got mine for around $450 from an acquaintance that owns a pawn shop.It 's very clean.

Reactions: Remy103

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The fact the gun has been re blued lessens it's value. How much? Not a lot. Unless it's a collectors piece then it's just a nice old gun that has some bluing wear. I would leave it alone and not worry too much. You are likely to spend $200 on a good bluing job and the rifle won't sell for $200 more than it does right now. In fact you might go ahead and "antique" it by scrubbing the bluing off the high spots and making it look more uniform.

You might try cold bluing it with brownells Oxpho blue jell. You really won't hurt the value of it and you will protect it more than white steel.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
A gun that has been re-blued is a lot like a car that has been repainted - just confuses the issue when you're trying to gauge actual wear and tear. A someone who buys a lot of old JM Marlins, I'd much rather buy that gun, as is, than after it's been re-blued. When a gun looks too good to be true for its age, I get even more critical and suspicious. Makes me nervous and actually less inclined to buy.

If you're buying the gun to keep for yourself, then, sure, go ahead and blue it. Hard core collectors would pass on that gun, anyway whether you re-blue or not because it's been shot, no box, no papers and so on. If you're buying the gun with the notion that you might sell it, save your money and leave it, as is. Knowledgable buyers, at least, would not be inclined to pay extra for a re-blue job, anyway.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the input. I knew I could count on honest truthful answers from you all. I will be leaving the 39M just as it is. Thanks all again. You folks are great and so knowledgeable.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
I have bought some 'bargain beaters' with little use on them and lots of neglect. The aforementioned Ruger was one. A 200th year Commemorative Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt/.45acp. You bet it was worth the $65 + shipping to send it back to the factory. The gun came back looking like new, lettering intact, taking a sharp eye to even tell it was reblued, and with many new parts in it. Not worth as much as an original, but still worth way more than I had in her. AC

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You can touch up the bluing yourself easily and cheaply. :) It is also highly rewarding to DIY and have it come out looking so nice.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Factory origional to me, means just that. As it came from the factory. In other word's, any screw turned, accessories added or any way changed from how it came from the factory. I suppose one could go as far as to say 'factory origional is 'new in box', not handled, shot, or cycled. Like alot of thing's, open to any and many interpretations I suppose. I would think that unaltered and used, but not abused would be the definition I would use.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Original means just that, ORIGINAL. Just enjoy a nice shooter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts