Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that it has warmed up I have been shooting my 1894 with its new 45 Colt Micro Groove barrel this week. I have been loading 250gr Dardas RNFP with both Unique and Trail Boss. So far 5.5gr of TB holds the best groups but always shoots 3 to 4" to the right of my Unique loads in the 8.7 to 9.0gr range. I am just wondering what is the cause of this consistent shooting to the right? I have never really experienced this with just a change of powder before. All else is the same, trim, seating depth and OAL, bullets, primers and brass.. I really need to get the Chrony out and see what it is saying.. Any insights?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
23,807 Posts
Yep and the Unique is a liberal load. ;D


Figure you are going to settle on the Trail Boss and readjust your sights.


Likely has something to do with the speed of the bullet. I've had the same thing happen with the same powder but different brand of bullets(same wgt and cast), that gets you scratching your brain pan.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swany said:
Yep and the Unique is a liberal load. ;D


Figure you are going to settle on the Trail Boss and readjust your sights.


Likely has something to do with the speed of the bullet. I've had the same thing happen with the same powder but different brand of bullets(same wgt and cast), that gets you scratching your brain pan.
Yes it does. I always thought in terms of elevation being the variable when everything else is kept identical except for powder (charge and type). Guess this gun is proving me wrong.. I do remember reading about something similar happening in an article with a 45 Colt Marlin but can't find it now..
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,353 Posts
What Swany said.

You might try adjusting your Trail Boss loads, if that is your powder of choice. My 1894 41mag would throw jacketed bullets to the left and cast bullets to the right. I had to pick, adjust sights accordingly, and be happy with the cast bullets of choice. I never did shoot another jacketed bullet through it and now it's my son's to fret over. I do miss that rifle!!

Jeff
NRA Life
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
In my limited experience with one win-30-30, any bullet/powder combo moved left to right as much as up on the target with increased load/speed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.. I My 1894, when it was a 44 mag used to shoot both my Unique loads and my TB about the same POI, so was just curious with my 45 Colt barrel that it does this. Of course the good news is I am getting practically zero leading now in this barrel..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,381 Posts
Barrel harmonics.

Every barrel vibrates when the rifle is fired. Barrels occilate, and a load may or may not end up shooting high, low, left or right of where the previous load impacted - based on harmonics. This is another reason the target guys like heavy barreled rifles - they occilate/vibrate less on firing.

Normally we see mostly a vertical change when we switch to a different load. It will hit higher or lower on the target than the previous load, but sometimes the harmonics will send it off to one side or the other as well. Usually just a few inches.

Guy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
M700 said:
Barrel harmonics.

Every barrel vibrates when the rifle is fired. Barrels occilate, and a load may or may not end up shooting high, low, left or right of where the previous load impacted - based on harmonics. This is another reason the target guys like heavy barreled rifles - they occilate/vibrate less on firing.

Normally we see mostly a vertical change when we switch to a different load. It will hit higher or lower on the target than the previous load, but sometimes the harmonics will send it off to one side or the other as well. Usually just a few inches.

Guy
That is pretty amazing, and sort of makes sense to me beings that the 45 Colt barrel on the 1894 has less steel than any of the other calibers. I would say it shoots more like 3 to 4" to the right of the Unique loads at 50 yds but it does group considerably better when I adjusted the scope for it. Guess I should have bought more Trail Boss instead of Unique.. ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
This is another reason the target guys like heavy barreled rifles - they oscillate/vibrate less on firing.
Very true...........most people are led to believe that bull barrels are popular because they don't heat up as much as a pencil barrel. Although that is true, they fail to realize the bull barrel takes longer to cool once it does heat up. Tempered harmonics is what makes the bull barrel generally more accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
Maybe that's why the .357 has such a good reputation for being an accurate shooter. Marlin probably uses the same barrel blanks and with the smaller bore there's less oscillation.
Is this possible?
GH1 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
My Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 shoots 165gr Nosler Partitions 1.25" (5 clicks) to the right of 165gr Sierra SBT's at 100 yds, both at same OAL and 57gr H4350, velocity within 10 fps of each other. I can just click the scope and exchange, consistently.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GH1 said:
Maybe that's why the .357 has such a good reputation for being an accurate shooter. Marlin probably uses the same barrel blanks and with the smaller bore there's less oscillation.
Is this possible?
GH1 :)
I believe that is likely the case. The barrel bands are for the same od barrel, at least on the 44 and 45. I have heard of people with their 45 Colt 1894 driving tacks however (not me, yet) so who knows... I think that the different twist rates, and some over bored barrels may have some to do with inaccuracy too. Lots of variables.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top