Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that 45-70 brass won't fit in my Forester case trimmer, the rim is too large to fit into the bearing that supports the shell holder collet. I just ordered a Lee trimmer from Midway, but was wondering what others use.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
For a few cases, the Lee is a great piece. Simply buy the spindles and shellholders for the caliber. I have a good RCBS Pro-2 that I use for 30-06 in the M1 Garand, but for everything else, I just dig out the Lee.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
tlf65 , I use a Lyman power case trimmer , which comes with all the pilots 17 cal. through 45 cal ... it has and auto fit type collet for all the calibers to hold your case ....

Magnum6

·
Registered
172 Posts
A 25 year old RCBS hand crank model, with a cordless drill for larger batches of pistol brass...

John Davies
Spokane, WA USA
+1 on this setup, it is exactly what I use right along with the cordless drill for large batches.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
+2 on this setup.

A 25 year old RCBS hand crank model, with a cordless drill for larger batches of pistol brass...

John Davies
Spokane, WA USA

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just discovered that 45-70 brass won't fit in my Forester case trimmer, the rim is too large to fit into the bearing that supports the shell holder collet. I just ordered a Lee trimmer from Midway, but was wondering what others use.
I use the Forster for my 45/70 brass. #4 collett and a 452 pilot. Works fine, I've done hundreds.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Forster will modify the collet holder of your trimmer for the cost of sending it in or you can purchase a larger collet housing. I use Forsters exclusively to trim all brass. For cases that are trimmed every loading, I have a dedicated set up. All are modified to work with a power drill.

·
Premium Member
11,172 Posts
Why do you think you need to trim 45-70 Brass?...................I never found the need to do so...........

Tom

·
Registered
910 Posts
take out the collet put in the case then replace the collet, it works. i dont trim much, but the first time to get them all the same so my crimps are the same.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why do you think you need to trim 45-70 Brass?...................I never found the need to do so...........

Tom
It depends on how anal you are. I am the type that wants to measure everything and make the dimensions match..... Whether or not it is necessary is up to you, your available time, and what you hope to accomplish....

My wife has a saying for when I am spending too much effort to make something perfect: "It's not a piano!"

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Over the years, I trimmed cases with an RCBS, next a Lee trimmer, the a Redding with the micrometer head. I finally purchased a Wilson with the micrometer head after talking to other BPCR (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle) and bench rest shooters. Even though I purchased several case holders for all my calibres, every timeutilize it I ask myself "Why did I wait so long before buying this?"....

For those not familiar with Wilson products: L.E. Wilson Inc. Wilson Tools and Gages

·
Registered
301 Posts
Lyman Universal does the job for me! ;-)

Reactions: WillD852
1 - 20 of 26 Posts