Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Model 39AS from GunBroker.com. I have tried the Remington hollo-point in it so far and it dosen't like them very much. 1 out of 4 hits the bull-eye, the others can very as much as 2 inchs from bull.

What 22 cartridge does your 39 like the best?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 39-A Mountie likes Winchester Dynapoints.
My 1897-CB likes CCI Stnd. Vel.

It's a place to start, but ultimately you'll just have to try diff. brands & loads until you find what she likes best.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've been getting good accuracy from the 40 gr. CCI Subsonic Hollow Points in my 39-A- might be worth a look...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I have a 50's vintage 39a Mountie, and it shoots almost everything well, but PMC Target is the one it likes best.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mine likes the Federal Gold Medal Target. I can knock the heck out of the bullseye at 50 yards. Parley

·
Registered
70 Posts
The best three in my 39A are Wolf MT, CCI Mini-Mags, and Winchester Dynapoints, in that order. All three are very close I might add. Glen

·
Registered
251 Posts
My 39A likes Win T22, Wolf MT, and Mini-Mags(solids) about equally well(nice tight 50 yard groups). I was real dissapointed that it doesn't shoot very consistent with any of the shorts I have tried. I was going to make it my 22 short squirrel gun.......Oh well!!!!! :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
My D model likes Mini-mags, Dynapoints and Federal bulk hollow points. I haven't tried any target ammo in it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Been using some Match EPS in mine. Very good groups for an old underlever. :wink:

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, now you have given me a good idea, so I am headed for the gun shop and Wally World (WalMart) to pickup as many different brands as I can.

One other question came to mind. Do you use Shorts, Longs or Long Rifles, are does it even matter?

One reason I am asking these questions is that I usually shoot the 32/40, 38/55, 44/40 and 45/70. This is the first time for the 22 caliber but I was so intreged by the 39 I just had to have one.

So far you guys have been a lot of help.

Thanks, djh

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 39A likes CCI Mini-Mags, Remington subsonics, and the Federal Lightning pretty good. I haven't found the bulk-pack Remington HP's particularly accurate in any of my 22's, I think because they're not lubricated. Remington subsonics are my favorite for squirrel, very quiet and they don't tear up meat. Shorts are kind of neat 'cause you can rattle off 29rds before a reload, but they're usually more expensive than lr's. I have found the Aguila brand shorts pretty cheap at gunshows.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My Mountie likes CCI Velocitors. Awesome groups with this load!
After I try out my 39AS I'll let you know.

·
Registered
175 Posts
S,L or LR

djh said:
One other question came to mind. Do you use Shorts, Longs or Long Rifles, are does it even matter?

Thanks, djh
~ I use Long Rifle exclusively; they're readily available and, as already stated, can be had for a lot less dinaro than the Shorts & Longs.
When it comes to the 39, there usually isn't much of a problem finding a load. I have a feeling it might have something to do with Marlin's Micro-Groove rifling....... But then again, the Remington Nylon 66 shoots just about anything you feed it...and it has conventional rifling.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I wouldn't shoot a match with them, but the Federal Value pack at Wally World, 550 rounds, 36gr HPs seem to shoot pretty good out of every .22 I have......But I might not be as picky as others. If I do my part, it's what my Single Six likes best. The bulk Remingtons not only shoot poorly, but seems like every dozen or so, you get a low charge and you can hear and feel the difference. I won't get those again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One thing about it---shorts do richochet alot easier-----more than the other 22 rounds--be carefull. High velocity short HP's actually throw a squirrel out've a tree as if smacked by a ballbat. I guess the lower than long rifle speed combined with the fast opening bullet gets a good energy transfer. CB shorts are so quiet that in my 39A the hammer drop is louder than the shot going off. In my opinion these are specialty loads for use in an area where the noise of shots would maybe rial people that live closeby & are non-hunters. As long as we be extra carefull of the direction of fire cause of extreme richochet's with shorts I see no problem of useing them in this realm of hunting. As was already said---they cost more too. JC

·
Registered
199 Posts
I haven't tried everything out there, but of the stuff I have tried, Federal Lightnings seem to do the best job for the bucks ($.98 per box of 50 at Wal-Mart). The hollow point bulk pack Federals are not quite as accurate and the Remington bulk pack hollow points are worse.

Normally I shoot my 39 from 100 yards at pop cans and she does her part if I do mine.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I wanted to try something different, so I got a brick of the Aguila Subsonic 60 grainers. Once I got the old Weaver B6 on my 1950 vintage 39A dialed in, I had a hoot sniping 12ga hulls off the 50 yd target holder. - spent primer toward me. They're quiet, too. Here, kitty kitty! :twisted: SW

1 - 20 of 28 Posts