Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice Winchester 1894 Timber Carbine in 450 Marlin. Is there a way to replace the rebound hammer, remove the safety and what's the best scout mount and or scope?

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Lucky stiff!

Yes, you can replace the rebounding hammer arrangement but if I recall you have to use the entire trigger assy and hammer off of a post 64 but pre-rebounding style 94. That god-awful crater safety can be removed but filling the void is a problem. I think the was someone that made a dummy replacement blank that filled the crater somewhat but I don't remember who it was or where to find it.

I have a Redfield one piece mount base and rings for my 94BB. I like it's looks but being all steel it's a bit heavy and the one screw in the front has caused occasional problems (stretched and let the front of the base loosen). I have just purchased some two piece aluminum Weaver style bases made by Redfield for mine and will probably use those on my next attempt at scope mounting. (I've broken two scopes on my 356 so far.) I'm undecided on new rings but am leaning toward something with extra screws and holding power. As to scopes, I would recommend a fixed 4x Burris or Leupold compact as you're going to need something of good quality that can handle substantial recoil.

However, as these guns are sure to be collectors, I would probably leave it alone and use it as is, or at most, add a scope.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
What can you do to improve that '94? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's hopeless. Roll a $100.00 dollar bill up & insert it in the muzzle & send the rifle to me via UPS or FedEx. I'll take that embarrassment off your hands. My shoulders are broad. I can bear the burden for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What can you do to improve that '94? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's hopeless. Roll a $100.00 dollar bill up & insert it in the muzzle & send the rifle to me via UPS or FedEx. I'll take that embarrassment off your hands. My shoulders are broad. I can bear the burden for you.
Just keep mind, I'm a country fox from down state Illinois. :biggrin:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lucky stiff!

However, as these guns are sure to be collectors, I would probably leave it alone and use it as is, or at most, add a scope.
This gun is all but mint, but I want to bear hunt with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just so I can ad to the fun, I've been thinking about using one of these EOTech 512 Holographic Weapon Sight.
I've use them on my AR's for coyotes for sometime with no problem.
Thanks

Reactions: buckweet

·
Premium Member
475 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well 1991 show 6008296 # But mind 6529XXX #, So I think the last year Winchester was here was 1994?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I'm going to concur with what SC Reb sez but I want to add something. If you go to a range that requires your firearms to be inspected prior to going onto the range they most likely will not let you bring in a firearm that has a modified safety especially one that has been removed.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Just so I can ad to the fun, I've been thinking about using one of these EOTech 512 Holographic Weapon Sight.
I've use them on my AR's for coyotes for sometime with no problem.
Thanks
If you are thinking about holosights, the Burris Fastfire lll is a lot smaller and lighter than the EOTech and looks much better on a lever gun. I just put a Weaver Microdot on my Marlin 1894 and so far am very pleased. It's significantly cheaper and about the same size as the Burris.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you are thinking about holosights, the Burris Fastfire lll is a lot smaller and lighter than the EOTech and looks much better on a lever gun. I just put a Weaver Microdot on my Marlin 1894 and so far am very pleased. It's significantly cheaper and about the same size as the Burris.
I not worried about looks, Function and Durability is all I care about. And out to 200 yards or so most of the time less.
From what I've seen Grizzlies don't care either!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I can't find anything on this gun, how many were made or when. To shoot or not to shoot that is the question! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
If in doubt shoot!!! Guns are/were made to be shot, if you never shoot it you can't be certain it actually works. It is an insult to the maker if you never shoot it. Old, new, inexpensive, collectible, priceless antique, none the matter; if it is shootable, SHOOT IT, sooner rather than later. Screw the collectors they only bandy about the unfired BS to knock the price up or down depending on bragging, buying or selling.

John...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh it's very shootable and I shot it the day I got it! I was just being funny when I said that about shooting it. I just want to know more about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts