Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 336RC in .35 Rem and was wondering what people thought of this model?? I believe mine was made in 1961.

·
Registered
41 Posts
336 RC 35 Rem

My very first is a 336 RC In 35 rem and outof all my guns its mt favorite.
2 In.groups at 50 yards,silky smooth action what else can you want :D
Kevin

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..........i'll post some pics when i have the bolt together again. I bought it unknowing that it had a broken firing pin. Should have the pin soon. :D

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
My 336RC 30-30 was a pawnshop pickup I didn't really want, but the price was right, so it followed me home. Fairly plain wood, nice action, TERRIBLE trigger. I cleaned up the trigger in about a half-hour with a file, and started testing loads. Stumbled on a box of 150-grain Core-Lokts from the mid 80's, and it shot them into TINY little groups. Better than any of my handloads, by about 50%. That was embarassing! So I bought 500 of the same bullets thru Midway, and tried four loads with IMR-4895. They ALL shot under an inch at 50 yards, so I guess I'll load whatever seems easiest. My son, by the way, has decided that this is HIS rifle. We'll see. Nothing will ever replace my 336C/35 Rem as my favorite, but for a gun I really didn't want, I'm liking it more and more all the time! Mine was made in 1964, but was nearly unfired when I got it. With that horrid trigger I can see why!

Papajohn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marlin 336RC

I also have a 1961 vintage 35Rem and love it. In my opinion, best rifle for the East Coast hunter.Depending on the hunt i use one of the folloowing four Remington Core-Lokt 200gr,Buffalo Bore Heavy 35 Rem,Hornady :D LEVERevolution,Hand loded 200gr with w748.GREAT FIREARM and CALIBER for the East Coast hunter. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
bought a 1957 336RC 35 remington for $125. Didn't shoot for crap with 200 gr. bullets... all tumbled. The 150 gr. Cor-lokt remington was fine. Cleaned and cleaned the bore and action...now shoots pretty good. That microgroove rifling sure gets cruddy if ya don't clean it....the previous owner didn't take much to caring for such a good gun apparently. So far, I have had the chance to shoot the new 35 rem Leverevolution in it, but did not find it any better shooting than a standard 200 gr. Winchester or Remington factory load at 50 or 100 yds. Good shooting with yours.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just recently bought a 1964 Marlin 336 RC Marauder. It must be something about 1964 guns but this gun, like papajohn's 1964, has the worst trigger I've ever seen! This gun also showed very little use, and I have to agree, probably because of the trigger. I tried twice to clean it up with no success. I'm going to try one more time. I have to say that I've had a few Marlins of different vintages and the early to mid 60's guns show the crudest machining and finish. The actions are relatively smooth, however and they all tend to be very accurate.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My .35 is a 64!! :lol:
Must have been a very good year.
My trigger is OK - maybe the previous owner took care of it.
Have a happy and safe 4th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marlin 336RC 35 rem care

I can only speak for the results that I have obtained and my hunting friends. Try this it will improve any caliber of 336,purchase a EJS chamber plug,available from Midways insert plug as if chambering a shell place rifle verticaly fill barell with Butch"s Bore Shine ,wait 24 hrs empty Bore shine remove chamber plug brush from CHAMBER.run leaning patches untill clean. If the barrel has not been cared for repeat the forgoing process, as neccesary. I do this at least 3 times during the hunting season if I get lucky and always after using the rifle at the range.
Now I know that there all all version of cleaning a barell ,however this one that works for usFlorida 336RC 35 REM die hards

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
if I clean the barrel on a hunting rifle after shooting it in, then it has to be done all over. With a hunting rifle, I clean it after the season is over and put it in a guncabinet with silica gel. On a rifle that I shoot regularly at the range, I don't clean it until after the shooting season is finished, unless there are excessive deposits in the barrel. LIke I said, may be different for you, but my experience is that it takes a few rounds to foul the barrel before it shoots accuartely , and after every three or four rounds, let the barrel cool some, especially with the lever guns. With the AR-15 or the bolt guns, letting the barrel cool is not usually necessary because there is no magazine tube affecting the barrel. With the Browning BLR (magazine under the chamber) 30-06 lever gun it is the same as the bolt guns (don't worry about pointy bullets or tube/barrel heating up).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marlin 336 35 Rem cleaning

:D All my suggestions were directed to Marlin336 vintage owners,that might not have been cared for properly.Having said that, I still contend that after frequent use my method WORKS FOR ME AND OTHERS.In addtion if I am LUCKY :D Hunting I still perform the Plug ,Soak 24 hr, Swab method.In conclussion ,I clearly stated that there are many variations of cleaning,HOWEVER,the method I peviously posted works for me and many others. Thank you for contributing your view on cleaning,as there is no one person on earth that knows it all ,as evedent by the COMPREHANSIVE IMEGRATION "BUSH" REFORM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts