Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What Are Your Pet Loads For 45 (Long) Colt?

4K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Old Creek 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for good loads for my 1894CB with a 20" Octagon barrel.

At the current time, all I have are 250gr Hornady XTP bullets. I'm looking for a good hunting load, and with the lack of available reloading components, I'm hoping to reduce my load development time and cost. I know that two rifles will shoot the same load differently, but in my 35+ years of reloading and competitive rifle shooting, and sharing load data with countless other shooters, a good load in your rifle has a good chance of being a good load in my rifle.

I'm not looking to push the loads higher than published data, but there are standard pressure loads for older single action type of pistols, and published high pressure loads for Ruger and T/C pistols. I don't shoot hard cast bullets, but I'm not against buying cast bullets from a reliable source.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer. I'm looking forward to learning more about this very versatile cartridge.

Edit to add that a located some 300gr Hornady Mag XTP bullets to try in my 1894CB

Reactions: 94win30wcf
#2 ·
For my Henry rifle, I use data from the Western Powder (now owned by Hodgdon) load book for Accurate #9. About 23.0gr with the 250gr XTP gives about 1650 fps, and 23.5gr with the 240gr XTP Mag gives about 1725 fps. I've killed 4 deer in the last 2 years with those loads.

I will say, that's the upper limit for the 250gr XTP's. They really flatten out, based on the ones I've recovered. The XTP Mags are a much tougher bullet, and hold together and penetrate much better. They are designed for use up to 2200 fps, I believe.

These loads are from the "30k PSI" data, sometimes called the "Ruger/Contender data." I have had no issues at all with them in my Henry, and I'm sure you would have none in your Marlin.

#3 ·
Funny you should ask about the xtp's.
I just did a little side by side test of the 250 gr xtp with 2400 powder.
My Rossi m92 & the Cowboy Limited.
The circled hole that goes with the upper target was be fore an elevation change.

RP

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I love the comparison of the Marlin and the Rossi, good shootin'! Great looking rifles too!

#7 ·
Nice groups, nice looking deer, and great looking rifle!

#6 ·
Thanks for all the pics and load information! Much appreciated.

#9 ·
I use the 250 gr XTPs in the 20 inch 1894CB. It likes 18.5 grs of 2400 and will group under .5 inches at 50 yards. I use this load to pulverize orange and pink clay bird bits at 100 yards. I hope to use this on a deer this fall.

#10 ·

#13 ·
The specs for the Marlin #70444 show a 1:38" twist.

This bullet is in the ideal stability range from the average 1080 fps up to 1410 fps at this twist rate.
Alliant 2400 is the highest velocity (1236) I found in Lyman #50.
Power Pistol was the most accurate load at 1091 fps with this bullet.

#16 · (Edited)
my pet loads for the 45 colt for the last 30 years is 250gr. cast lead and 20gr. of H4227 / IMR4227 with a mag. primer. 240gr. sierra jacked HC same powder charge, also 8gr. of unique is hard to beat with a 250gr. cast boolit and standard primer. 16gr. of 2400 is also outstanding,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#19 ·
With hard cast 250 grn lead Keith style bullet I use 22 grns H110 with Std Lrg Pistol primer for 45 LC. It is a good dual purpose which I use in both the Marlin 1894 and Ruger revolver.

#20 ·
A big thanks to everyone for the replies!

#21 ·
My Marlin 1894 CB likes a soft cast 255 grain Lee LRFP over 40 grains of FFFg goex black powder. According to the website, its supposed to launch it at a little over 1,000 fps. I lube the bullet with a home made lube consisting of 50% bee's wax, 40% pork lard and 10% extra virgin olive oil. It's a literal blast to touch one off in the woods, and I've never had a deer do anything other than bang-flop.

#22 ·
I found some 300gr Hornady Mag XTP bullets that I will also work up a load for. I've got some H110 that should do well with my 250gr XTP's & my 300gr Mag XTP's.

#23 · (Edited)
Yep, H110/W296 will work well with that bullet when loaded to “Ruger-level” loads. It isn’t appropriate for SAAMI-level loads. Another powder to try, if you have it, is Reloder 7. Many “experts” - who have never tried it - will say it is too slow for the .45LC case, but that simply isn’t true. I used up to 26 grains with several different 255 and 300-grain bullets in my 16” .45LC Trapper and got over 1500 fps - that isn’t a mild load so start at 22.0 grains and carefully work up. Accuracy in my rifle was better than with H110, but then your particular rifle might prefer the latter.

edit: typo

#26 ·
Yep, H110/W296 will work well with that bullet when loaded to “Ruger-level” loads. It isn’t appropriate for SAAMI-level loads. Another powder to try, if you have it, is Reloder 7. Many “experts” - who have never tried it - will say it is too slow for the .45LC case, but that simply isn’t true. I used up to 26 grains with several different 255 and 300-grain bullets in my 16” .45LC Trapper and got over 1500 fps - that isn’t a mild load so start at 22.0 grains and carefully work up. Accuracy in my rifle was better than with H110, but then your particular rifle might prefer the latter.

edit: typo
Yes very good load. My favorite---22grns H110 with 255 -280 grn hard cast. I use it in both the Ruger SA and Marlin 1894 cowboy (45 LC Marlin).

Reactions: ballistics04
#24 ·
Thanks for the RL7 recommendation Rollingblock!

#25 ·
Has anyone used Lil'Gun powder with the 250gr or 300gr bullets? It shows great velocities with both jacketed bullet weights on the Hodgdon web site.

#28 ·
Lil Gun Powder DOES burn hot, ten shots in a few minutes will heat a barrel up, noticeably more than other powders in the same burn rate. But it also gives higher velocities at lower pressures than any other powder I know of, so I use it a lot. The erosion issue only matters in revolvers, where the forcing cone can be damaged by too many rounds without allowing it to cool. I have yet to hear of any erosion issues in a rifle using Lil Gun, most people aren't dumb enough to keep shooting a rifle after the barrel is too hot to touch. Barrel steel is some pretty stout stuff, and to erode one takes a LOT of pressure and a very erosive grain structure. Lil Gun, when used in non-Ruger/T-C loads, (meaning loaded to 30KPSI or less) is no more erosive than any other ball powder.

As always, common sense will keep you from doing damage to your guns.

#29 ·
Thanks for the info on Lil'Gun! The lower pressures with that powder is what caught my interest in it. I don't own any pistols, and I load for tight groups, not for +P velocity. So I'm thinking it will be just fine for my 300gr XTP magnums.

Reactions: rob42049
#30 · (Edited)
Does anyone use magnum primers for the high pressure Ruger/Freedom Arms/TC loads? Still talking 45 Colt loads.

I'm asking because some of the manuals, like Speer, use magnum primers with certain powders. Is a magnum primer really necessary for those loads?

Edit to say that OLSKOOL mentioned using mag primers in his post.

#31 ·
For harder to ignite powders like H110/W296 I found mag primers give lower extreme spreads and better accuracy. But I seldom use slow powders in my .45s anymore, sticking to easier to ignite powders like Unique, AA-7 and BlueDot. Standard primers work fine although I do use Winchester WLPs which are supposed to be a bit hotter than other brands.

#32 ·
For harder to ignite powders like H110/W296 I found mag primers give lower extreme spreads and better accuracy. But I seldom use slow powders in my .45s anymore, sticking to easier to ignite powders like Unique, AA-7 and BlueDot. Standard primers work fine although I do use Winchester WLPs which are supposed to be a bit hotter than other brands.
Thanks for the reply! I'm new to pistol reloading, but I know primers can make a difference with certain powders. I have H110, Lil' Gun & Tite-Group, as well as Federal & CCI large pistol primers.

#33 ·
I wished I could be more helpful but I too just started loading 45 Colt. For my Vaquero and a Uberti clone I used 8.5 grains of Unique and hard cast 250 and 255 grain bullets. I then picked up a Henry big boy and shoot the same through it. I don't know velocity but that load sure shoots well in all three.

#37 ·
What I use:

6.2 grains TiteGroup, .452 dia hard cast 250 grain RNFP, Win LP., Rem. Nickel Plated Brass.

Old Creek
Thank you! Those lower pressure loads is why I bought the Tite-Group, but I'll be using 250gr XTP instead of cast.

Reactions: Old Creek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.