Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start this topic,as this sight is visited by people from all over the world it would be of some intrest to see what is being hunted at the moment so I will start
In GB this week I have hunted Roe deer and Rabbits and fished for rainbow trout. The roe provided 20lb of meat,I got 2 rabbits and 4 trout upto 3lb, the weather is hot and its light enough to shoot until 9.30pm.
For the deer I used a .243 CZ 601 Leupold 3x9x40, and for the rabbit a allweather ruger22/77 & silencer,Eley Subsonics.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
We got no season for anything till fall.. :( Go ahead rub it in Taff.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Groundhogs and other vermin are all..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
We have no open season for anything but rabbits right now- and I don't take them this time of year- they are sour from nettles and raising young...

Fishing just opened here on saturday- hope to bust some targets with the .22's and get a few Walleye soon....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fellas,
I am hoping to get a spring black bear here in South Central Alaska soon with my new Ruger KM77 MKII Sporter in .338 Win.Mag. with a Leupold VXII 2-7X33.
Take care,Mman......

·
Registered
264 Posts
At the moment till the end of May, spring Turkey. With ugmo, ( M-88 ) 12 guage w/ Federal 3"mag 2oz. #4 loads. Picked up a new ported Tru-glo gobble stopper xtreme choke which patterns great out to 40 yards even, and seems to help a bit with the recoil. Friggin 30$ choke but I was in a gunshop and you know how it is when you spot something you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I have just spotted some 3/4 grown squirrels I know declare them in season, so I shoot 3 today with the ruger. :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
i had been doing as much turkey hunting as possible. what it came down to though was that i could have been carrying a magnum slingshot and done just as good for i never even got to take the safe off my gun. i called in a bunch of them one weekend but i was not the shooter. all in all it was one of the most unproductive turkey seasons i have been envolved in , in many a year.

all i did was camp out, cook on my new stove and griddle, call turkeys, hunt turkeys, loaf about, fish some, found the biggest mess of morels i ever found in my life, sat in the snow, fell down a mountainside and enjoyed the company of some mighty fine folks.

hhhmmmmmm...i reckon it was the most unproductive good time i have had since last september.

the only kind of hunting i am in for now is hunting a good excuse to get out of the housepainting season! i do not expect to be succesful at that either.

luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
This time of year I'm after crows.
With an electrinic caller, and a Browning BPS 10gauge, or Benelli Nova 12 gauge. I prefer #4 lead shot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
At the moment I'm hunting for some days off so I can go shooting and relax. Then in the fall it will be Deer with my 1895G and Savage Scout. I may have my .338 ready by then but it's my little project at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
15,948 Posts
Taff said:
I thought I would start this topic,as this sight is visited by people from all over the world it would be of some intrest to see what is being hunted at the moment so I will start
In GB this week I have hunted Roe deer and Rabbits and fished for rainbow trout. The roe provided 20lb of meat,I got 2 rabbits and 4 trout upto 3lb, the weather is hot and its light enough to shoot until 9.30pm.
For the deer I used a .243 CZ 601 Leupold 3x9x40, and for the rabbit a allweather ruger22/77 & silencer,Eley Subsonics.
For Deer I use my Marlin® Mdl 336 in 30/30 Winchester. Elk Hunting is done with a Marlin® Mdl 444SS in 444 Marlin. Small game hunting & birds with a Mossberg® Mdl 500 20GA.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Giant Catfish at the moment....Abu Garcia 5600C4 with 30 lbs and a 60lbs leader....7' fenwick casting rod....giant circle hook and a live bluegill for bait...try it bfore you say it ain't huntin'!!!

s/f
Jarhead Ed

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
:shock: 60 pound leader! Ed, those are some stout catfish you're after!

This time of year I do more fishing than hunting. Small mouth bass, trout, perch, bluegill... About time to start hiking into the Alpine Lakes and letting the cutthroat trout I haven't forgotten them.

Could do a bit of varmint shooting now. Saw a coyote through my Leupold yesterday at the range, but didn't shoot him. Not sure why... Just wasn't interested in killing him at that time I guess... Getting soft these days :(

This fall I've got plans for a Colorado elk hunt, as well as mule deer and black bear hunting here in Washington. Am most excited about getting my youngest son out in the field for deer, he's been practicing with his 6mm Remington. Regards, Guy

·
Registered
289 Posts
60 pound leader! Ed, those are some stout catfish you're after!
YEP!

Actually, it's mosty cause I fish in a rocky bottom...abrasion in the heavy current will tear up the 30lb in no time!

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went out looking for a Roe Buck, but ended up layin in a hay meadow surounded by 10 fallow deer (all male and out of season), 4 Roe does out of season and 2 fallow does out of season, the old 30.30 was desparate for a shot but she wil have to wait.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Summer season here in Texas means Hogs, hogs, and more hogs.....with a few varmints thrown in for good measure. I've been using my Marlin 336W 30-30 with 170gr Winchester PP. I also have a new Remington 870 SPS 20ga slug gun (fully rifled barrel) that I'm going to try out. Lightfield 385gr slug at 1502fps should knock the corn out of their mouths :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Be verwy, verwy quiet! I'm hunting wabbits! No actually I'm hunting smallmouth bass this time of year. No game open til fall!
Oh yea, I'm always huntin for another fine rifle too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went wood pigeon shooting yesterday got 86 used a Bettinsoli 12g 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, sub sonic 6s, and 2 pigeon magnets it was the best day this year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's the reason why I love living in the tropics, hunting and fishing all year round! Basically, big game fishing from March until August (billfish such as marlins, sails and swords, then you have tunas, jacks and wahoos). And yes, we have the Florida-strain largemouth bass, all-year-round season but peaks in November to March when climate is a bit cold(occasional 10-pounders in mid-December to late January!).

In between fishing trips, we go hunting for wild boars, deers (not as big as your typical busktails, though), wildcats and, yes, for some people, monitor lizards (they say it tastes like...well...chicken!). Yes, we have fun all year long!!! :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that duck season happens at the same time as bass fishing peaks, from late November to early February. That's the time we bring out those 12 guages ( I use an Italian Franchi, semi-auto and packed with #3 hi-load shells).

After the harvest season which happens sometime in July, we still sport the 12 guages and load them with #7 shells, this time running after snipes! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts