Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody going to try something new?.
I am going to plant a new spot in the woods along my one tractor trail . It's going to take a lot of work, mite look into renting a yorkrake, that's something I don't have,
This project is on my bucket list .

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
Tomatoes,potatoes,and my World Class atomic hot peppers. I have a raised garden,it's old clawfoot tubs in a deer-proof area. A hobby garden. When the deer hear the old Daisy being levered,they're moving! With a little practice you can lob a BB well over a hundred yards. They hate that.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
So far I've decided on 3 types of tomato's, green beans, wax beans, cucumbers, carrots, sweet peppers, onions and what else I don't know yet.
My strawberries, raspberries, blackberries & asparagus are well established and come back each year.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I am planting 4 varieties of Heirloom Tomatoes. Two types of corn, 3 varieties of Watermelon, Butterhead lettuce, and Crook Squash.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
Besides our perennial rhubarb, we will have cherry and several variety of heirloom tomatos and several types of peppers.
We have found that we use more tomatoes and peppers over the year than anything else.
Andrew

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I started some tomato plants from seeds.Got em In styrofoam cups on porch.My girl will put them in five gallon buckets.I also grow ghost peppers and eggplant,all in 5 gal buckets.The sand in my back yard sucks.
I am thinking about boxing in an area with 2x12s and filling it with black dirt.But for now,the 5 gal buckets are fine.I get enough tomatoes to where I do not need to get the hot house garbage sold at the local supermarkets.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Around 45-50 tomato plants of different varieties + any volunteer ones that come up and the wife tags for "do not destroy" ... 100 or so onions ... Radishes ... okra ... peppers of several varieties ... cucumbers ... 20 or so squash ... Italian Green Beans ... and the yearly let's try growing this - what ever whim that might be.

Then there will be the different varieties of 40 or so pumpkins that are put into the pumpkin garden.

After getting this started I get to do it all over again in similar fashion at my sister-in-laws and then move down the road and do a repeat at the wife's aunt although hers isn't quite so involved.

Before any of this gets done I am going to have to get the hitch on a 4 bottom lister I purchased last summer changed out from a Category II to a Category I to mate with my tractors hitch. I have been rowing the gardens for years with a 10 horse Troy-Bilt Roto Tiller with a lister bottom attachment. I am getting a little more mature - ( translate to older ) and this little chore has become more physical work than I or my Doctors really want me to tackle. So, I'll let the Little Deere do the work.

Side note to this is - I hate gardens ... love what comes out of them but hate every thing else about it. The wife lives for plants and flowers so this is her gig. I just get to prepare and maintain after she plants.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Anybody going to try something new?.
I am going to plant a new spot in the woods along my one tractor trail . It's going to take a lot of work, mite look into renting a yorkrake, that's something I don't have,
This project is on my bucket list .
"What are you going to plant?" .... means something TOTALLY different in my neck of the woods. :D

When people ask that question .... everyone thinks .... Cash Crop!

However, I am going to plant around 18 San Marzano Redorta tomato plants this year .... along with .... add 10 Grimes Golden Apples to my Cider Orchard.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I will add a few more Blueberry bushes, a couple more apple trees, an additional strawberry bed. Plus the usual peppers, tomato plants, green beans, squash, musk melon and onions.

I will plant a few Linden trees for my honey bees.

This summer I will plant some ground hogs if they get into the garden like last year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts