Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what happens when your kid needs to borrow your 260 hp RAV4 grocerygetter for the week to transport his band gear to New York for a heavy metal festival?

You get to use this:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Ford

the one of the fastest factory hatchbacks on the planet, 350 hp Focus RS. This thing is (put every ban worthy word here) fast! It comes with a Normal Driving Mode, Sport Mode, Drift Mode, and Track Mode. Sport and Track modes open up the exhaust and lets it snarl and pop. My wife said that it shook the house when I backed it into the garage. Track mode basically locks the suspension down to where it does not really have any. No lean at all and very harsh on the smallest bumps. Drift mode takes it out of all wheel drive and puts the power to rear wheels, removing most of the traction / vectoring control.

It goes and stops - factory Brembo brakes on all fours.

Yup, you can pick out a spot 4 or 5 cars ahead on the on ramp and get there without an issue. Just like a fast bike.

It eats premium gas for dinner at the rate of 23 mpg.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:party:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son made the mistake of taking this one on a test drive. 3 Days later the VW GTI was history. It was a little tame as his previous car was a 340i Beemer - twin turbo straight 6. That car was fun too, but nothing like the RS.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I eat GTIs for breakfast, but as my boss put it, a 4 cyl turbo may not be fast, but I know how to drive it at the limit and that gives me the edge. Like you said, it is just wicked fun to pick a "hole" up ahead and sprint and slip into it.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Those are fast cars. I sold my GTI a couple months ago but have been eyeing another quick hatchback.
Subaru WRX hatch FTW. Those things are insane..

OP, as a practical joke.... Go to a busy tire place and get them to put some really worn out tires on the rear wheels. Then take some black paint and paint a bunch of 11s all over the place. Have a camera ready.

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
So what happens when your kid needs to borrow your 260 hp RAV4 grocerygetter for the week to transport his band gear to New York for a heavy metal festival?

You get to use this:
View attachment 724224

the one of the fastest factory hatchbacks on the planet, 350 hp Focus RS. This thing is (put every ban worthy word here) fast! It comes with a Normal Driving Mode, Sport Mode, Drift Mode, and Track Mode. Sport and Track modes open up the exhaust and lets it snarl and pop. My wife said that it shook the house when I backed it into the garage. Track mode basically locks the suspension down to where it does not really have any. No lean at all and very harsh on the smallest bumps. Drift mode takes it out of all wheel drive and puts the power to rear wheels, removing most of the traction / vectoring control.

It goes and stops - factory Brembo brakes on all fours.

Yup, you can pick out a spot 4 or 5 cars ahead on the on ramp and get there without an issue. Just like a fast bike.

It eats premium gas for dinner at the rate of 23 mpg.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:party:
THAT'S IT!.....................I'm weak when it comes to these kinds of things!..............I WANT ONE, but with a big TRUMP sticker!

Tom

·
Super Moderator
40,784 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Full-size car

This! 1993 Mustang Coupe!

It only has 600+ horse and a blast to drive! 351W bored and stroke to a 427. 850 Holley double pumper! Five speed tremac aftermarket trans. 3.73 gear in rear. It's just a play toy I own and drive at times. Never raced it or made a pass down the track with it. The power number came from a in-ground chassis dyno where it was tuned. I can run regular in it, but must back down on timing.

One day it will have a coyote motor 5.0 with turbos! 1,000 plus horsepower! One day!

ca'jun56

·
Administrator
30,769 Posts
That RS would be fun but may get me in trouble at my age. My last hod rod was a 98 540I 6 speed, lowered with H&R suspension, staggered 18" BBS with Dunlop's providing traction. It handled like it was on rails and was 1st quick at a few track events. Loved driving it but the first year I got 4 tickets, all for 5mph over the speed limit. It was a cop magnet providing entirely too much attention. I drive over the speed limit a lot in CA, everyone does. Haven't had a ticket since selling in 2003.

Then again, I haven't had the fun either.

Jack

·
Registered
809 Posts
I drive a 2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon! Has a whopping Inline 6, stock engine no mods! I drive like grampa, matter of fact almost t-boned an old lady this morning in town who started to turn left on green circle-not arrow. Had I been 5 or 10 over I would’ve nailed her!

Had:
-‘87 Ford Ranger ( set a rollover record on Camp Pendleton that still stands..5x plus 1 end over end..picture the opening scene of the 6million dollar man..that was me!) Stumbled away twisted spine, dislocated shoulder, concussion, abrasions...Lotsa trouble..6 points off base driving privileges!
-300zx ‘84 w/t-tops “ fast” spun it out doing near 100 on wet pavement racing an RX-7! Traded it in on ‘93 Ranger
- 2 Ninjas ‘86 and a 750 racing bike ( actually crashed the latter going through a gate really slow, looking cool one handed, knee caught gate, slid back/fell back on throttle right into guys house- 0-50 in a blink! bam! busted trough back stucco wall!) That sucked! Sold em!
-‘93 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 (2 wrecks) Sold it!

So now...I drive...like grampa. I don’t feel the need... the need for speed...anymore!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
So now...I drive...like grampa. I don’t feel the need... the need for speed...anymore!
Well, I don't drive aggressively, either .............never really did, but I like to have the performance available to me.............

My '89 Mustang 5.0 GT with the Blower and other mods was a lot of fun, until it wanted to go sideways at the top of each gear!

My 2010 Corvette Grand Sport is capable of scaring the "Human Tar" out of me, but I'd miss it, if I didn't have all that performance in the 6 speed, and under my right foot.............

Back in the 90's, I had a Nissan 4x4 King cab 5 speed pickup that would pull buildings off their foundations, but couldn't pass a 80 YO woman pushing a full grocery cart down hill on a gravel road in a tail wind!...............

I'll never succumb to driving a vehicle like that, ever again!....EVER!

If I had another open garage bay, I'd seriously look at a Ford Focus RS with EVERYTHING....(Kenny Block is my favorite Drift Driver)...............I'd no doubt be able to wipe the smiles off the faces of those people called "Young Adults in their crapped out Toyota's"............"Democrats", for short..........

My Daily Driver is a 2014 285+ (said to be about 320) HP 2 door Wrangler Sahara with a chip, Detroit TrueTrac rear and Dyno Max Dual Exhausts................ Yeah, it snarls under full throttle, and probably "delivers my message" when I pass someone.........

But really, on a daily basis..........I'm a very respectful, polite driver...........If you are..........

Tom

·
Registered
809 Posts
Tomray, my ‘93 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 was only useful off-road...like yours it sucked gas v-6 and I was lucky to get it to go 75mph on the California speedway...er...freeways!

My bro in law let me drive his new sporty Chevy Camaro....me like I think too much! Stick, all kinds of power and all those nice little “modes” to get me in some serious trouble.

I am either gonna get an older Land Rover ( Series 1/2) or a Porsche for my play thing after the wifey gets her new house on new land...in other words....not so fast!

Reactions: Tomray and Maineiac

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But really, on a daily basis..........I'm a very respectful, polite driver...........If you are..........

Tom
That got me laughing. We are on the same page brother.

My first "performance" car was a 1984 Mustang LX Hatchback, T-tops, 5 speed, limited slip diff and the rest of GT drive train. The dealership special ordered it. It was all black with red pin stripes and none of the GT plastic or markings. The only thing giving it away was the chrome twin tail pipe. It was a real sleeper, but would go like a raped ape compared to everything else from the factory in those days. Hard to image that it was the fastest factory car in 84 with only 210 HP. The 5.0L HO had had tons of low end torque at relatively low RPMs. Great street car! You never had to wind it up. The only down side was having to buy Michelin TRX tires and that darned 85 mph speedometer.

I should have killed myself in it. I am not sure how I survived.

·
Registered
291 Posts
for the summer I drive the slightly modded 0-6 mustang.
it has a chin spoiler for the brake ducts, other than that the outside looks just like it did day one off the floor.
the sound is a little different out the back though.
if I drive it decent and keep it under 70 I can pull just about 30 mpg out of it pretty consistently with the 355 factory rear end gear.
you can forget even getting close to that if I'm running the 373 gears.
I don't even like driving it on the highway when those are in, but the engine sure starts to hum a little different song at about 3500 rpm.

for the winter and during hunting season I have an 89 bronco [rust and dents non stock] but it has almost as many horse ponies as the Mustang only it's a bit quieter, quieter because it actually wears the back half of the mustangs factory exhaust.
with the OD transmission it glides down the freeway pretty nicely at about 1800 rpm.
still sucks down fuel like I have a hole in the tank though.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I alternate between the 2013 Mustang V-6, 6-speed with the performance/handling package and a 2011 Suzuki SX-4, 6 -speed FWD. Driven very differently, but each fun in its own way.

But after many, many years riding sportbikes, everything else pales by comparison. I quit riding 3-4 years ago and my last bike was a Yamaha R-1.

Luisyamaha

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Just parked my 2018 Chevy Silverado with a V6. Yes, I laugh at a double cab 4x4 with a V6 myself. However, it has more get up and go power than my 2003 Silverado trade in with a 5.3l V8 when I bought it new. Not fancy, but it will be paid off in 6 months.

You guys are really going to think I'm insane, but I'm going to Arizona in a couple weeks to pick out a vintage Buick LeSbre, or Lucerene. Just love those older Buicks! Uh, I'm only 44, not 74 years old.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah don't feel bad, we are hooked on Mercury Grand Marquis's. Have a 06 and a 02 that we only drive in the summer to keep them out of the WI salt. One of the best all round cars on the road IMHO. In my early 50's but 30 years of being a mechanic I've learned what to own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.