Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What are these?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Pat/Rick 
#1 · (Edited)
I found these at the range today. The shoulder is some sort of plastic material, and the web/head is like some type of insert that can slide up and down. I can't physically slide them down, but they will move. I did find one that was slid all the way into the case. If it helps any they're made out of aluminum. I haven't stuck my dial calipers to them yet but visually they seem like they are 223/5.56.

See less See more
#16 ·
They kinda remind me of some reduced recoil loads a guy had his wife shooting in an old Argentine Mauser. They were all blue and had a plastic coating covering the whole cartridge except for the bullet. The end did not press inward though.

#17 ·
Sub-caliber inserts, maybe? They used to make those so you could load a .32ACP into a 30-30, and shoot it out of your rifle as a small game load, that kind of thing. Miking the case mouth might tell you more. But I do think they're made to fit a .223/5.56 chamber.

What about tranquilizer darts?

The lack of a headstamp or other markings is confounding.

#18 ·
I have no idea what they are but my wife was sitting next to me while I was viewing your pics and she said you need a manicure. :hmmmm:

FWIW. :biggrin:

Jack

#22 ·
Marking bullets for training exercises, limited to police and military uses. Not cheap! But great for training.

#23 ·
interesting. heard of 'em but have never seen any. Now I'll know if I ever run across any.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.