Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
comeback. Probably not. But if you are the type of shooter that only shoots a few rounds a year, and the price is right, I'd say go for it. One thing to remember, brass will only last so many firings. I usually try to keep at a minimum, 200 brass casings for certain rifle calibers, for reloading. So I would definitely pick up some extra brass, even if the price is high. Otherwise, there may come a moment when Hornady decides to stop the manufacture of that particular caliber due to low sales. Bottom line, if you like the caliber and rifle that much, you are just going to have to swallow the price of ammo/brass and acquire enough of it, to keep you going for years to come. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Odd-ball brass is something that you pick up when you can. I shoot a 50-70 Sharps carbine and picked up more than I will likely ever use when Bell went out of business and Buffalo Arms ran a close-out special.
Check different gun sites periodically and you will find brass. You just need to decide on which case length you wish to use. STandard or FTX bullet.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
After consideration, I have decided to go ahead and pick up the rifle. If nothing else, it will be an "Oddity" in my collection of Marlin rifles and various Winchester offerings.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll simply start to hunt down brass, and keep in mind that I need to keep my Hornady Ammo brass separate and only for FTX bullet loads. I'm familiar with this concept in 45/70 and can't understand why Hornady can't simply use standard length brass and shorten the nose on their polymer tip. Oh well, that's a discussion for another time.
Post some pics when you get the rifle. Congrats!

Reactions: Peke and Kevin.M

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Having a 45/70 in a 22" barreled RUGER #1 and testing 355gr cast bullets as high as 2500fps, I personally could see no advantage to a 26" barreled version while the shorter barreled rifle is ever so sweet to carry and use in the woods/hills. Plus with a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast bullet it is, of course as with any shoulder mounted rifle with proper bullet placement, VERY deadly on deer and elk.

My experience with the 355gr cast WFN fired at 2300fps was EXCESSIVE devastation. Not a huge and blood shot / blood filled area of tissue, just a huge hole.

The 465gr which I have tested to the low 19s and found the sweet spot to be about 1650fps is AWESOME at that velocity.

So, while I am no where close to maxed out with velocity available using the RUGER #1, even with the 22" barrel I see no advantage to velocities higher then the current load at 1650fps.

So, considering this is a thread based around the 450 Marlin, I can see no advantage going there as the 45/70 gives me everything I want and has a lot of room to grow if there was any advantage to doing so.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Everyone seems to have a favorite lever gun caliber and extols the virtue of it over others. (Those crazy 30-30 guys....) I find it interesting that although bullet diameters vary, not so much for speeds. It seems that 2000 to 2200 fps is the range. Just some push heavier bullets at these speeds.
I got very little difference between my loads for 45-70 and 450ME. In a Marlin lever, I just prefer the semi-rimless 450ME. But not enough to only shoot one over the other.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Case capacity difference between 450 Marlin and 45-70 -

Buffalo Bore 500gr 450 Marlin ammo 1600 fps mv (22" barrel Marlin).
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=281

500gr FMJ-FN Barnes Buster Penetrator

1600 fps Marlin 22-inch barrel
1558 fps Marlin 18.5-inch barrel

Buffalo Bore 500gr 45-70 ammo 1628 fps mv (22" barrel Marlin).
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=154

500gr FMJ-FN Barnes Buster Penetrator
1,628 fps -- Marlin 1895, 22-inch barrel
1,590 fps -- Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, 18.5-inch barrel

Should be about same pressure ammo. 45-70 bit more speed because 45-70 has more case capacity. Noted in Speer Manual #14 heavy-wall 450 Marlin case has about 7 gr less capacity than Winchester 45-70 case.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm brand new to the caliber, but a buddy is offering me a like new Winchester 94 Trails End Takedown with dies and 100 brass for a steal.

I'm inclined to take it, because everyone else backed down when they heard the caliber, and claimed it to be a "Dead Caliber".

For the record, I have extensive experience with 45/70 and loading for it, and while the cartridges themselves are not interchangeable the load data is to a certain extent. So, if I wanted to load the 450 Marlin "Down" using 5744 or Trail Boss, it would take the same bullets as the .460 sized 45/70 bullets I already have a glut of.

What are your thoughts?

Is there still a chance for this chambering to make a comeback, or is it dead and I should just hang up the offer?
I've own(ed) and shot both. Performance wise (in my opinion) on the range, game or effective range are pretty much the same. Is the .450 a "dead caliber"? The answer depends on who you want to listen to. Personally, I don't think it is. There's still brass and dies being made for the cartridge and it is a solid performer. Most folks have heard of the .45-70 and it is a popular cartridge, certainly more popular than the .450, which isn't as well known. According to one of my books, the .450 was introduced as an alternative to the .45-70 since there are still a number of Trapdoor Springfields and other aged firearms out there who may have destroyed the old guns with a .45-70 loaded to modern pressures.

This is just my 2 cents of suggestion. I would take the deal. I don't think, especially with the current gun control climate, the cartridge will die off. Possible? Sure, I just don't think it likely in the next 25+ years.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
There is no real advantage. SO I am willing to look at buying your 450ME Marlin. No Guide Guns though.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
450 Marlin Ruger No.1-S 20" barrel has 1:16 twist. 450 Marlin 1895 and BLR have 1:20 twist. Faster 1:16 twist might help bullet track straighter as it penetrates.

No.1 Sporter in .450 Marlin: The classic No.1 Sporter is now chambered in the powerful .450 Marlin cartridge. A short 20″ barrel mated to the short, single-shot No.1 action combine to make a quick-handling rifle that is easy to carry.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/12/07/ruger-thumps-with-their-no-1-sporter-in-450-marlin/

https://www.shootpointblank.com/pro...marlin-20-1-american-walnut-stock-black-satin

·
Registered
17 Posts
450 Marlin would be a handy bolt rifle. Steyr used to make 1 -

https://www.gunsamerica.com/925892664/Steyr-Mannlicher-Big-Bore-450Marlin.htm
I built a 450 Marlin on a 98 Mauser custom throat for 500 grain bulletts and 60,000 PSI. Styer wanted over $5,000 mine set me back $1,600 I believe. Shilen air guage barrel, I kept the military 2 stage trigger, used a Ramline synthetic stock, and I believe Gerber sights. Awesome firepower, with better safety then a 45 70 as the rounds won't chamber in a lever gun and with the propriatary belt they won't chamber in a sub 45 caliber magnum.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Compared to standard 458 WM 500gr at 2100 fps likely around 1900 fps muzzle speed near maximum pressure with 500gr from your bolt action 450 Marlin.

With my 45-70 Ruger No.1-S (22" barrel) 1900 fps safely with 500gr. Thicker wall 450 Marlin brass should withstand higher pressure in theory 450 Marlin Ruger No.1 performance likely a bit faster than 45-70 Ruger No.1.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts