Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded for 1959 texan 3030 she been an safe queen an was just wondering what would be the best ammo for deer hunting in heavy cover and maybe 100 to 120 yards open woods?Thanks in advance

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am partial to 170 grain if you can find any. My son shot his first deer (muley buck) with a 125 grain hollow point with great results. I don’t think it really matters as long as it shoots well n you put it in the right spot.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I had problems with Remington ammo FTF before the sale. It was in both 30-30 and 35 Rem. In both cases I think it was primers not seated. I could cock it and the round would go off the second strike. I was shooting up factory for the brass. I also had another maker ammo and I did not have a FTF with them.
Good luck this fall. For ammo it may be what you can find but for me it would NOT be Remington.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have not been a big Rem fan of late, but that has all changed. Vista has bought Rem ammo and they are reputable. The new Rem should be good. When they get up and running full out it should also help the ammo shortage.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
130 grain Speer and 125 Sierra's have given my 30-30's a new lease on life. I also like the Lee C 309-113F gas checked and PC soup can boolit when those 2 aren't available.

·
Registered
229 Posts
What's the best?(very subjective)
For my Marlin 336CB 30-30 What I use and prefer: TrueShot 30 cal. sized to .309 170grain RNFP GC. www.oregontrailbullets.com

* If you don't reload, I recommend factory loaded ammunition to see what works(most accurate) for your particular rifle (A 1959 Texan) and your distance requirements: TBH any factory loaded ammunition that's available in your area in the 110 grain - 170 grain bullet weight should work well for you.

Old Creek

·
Registered
56 Posts
My regular hunting buddy bought a Walmart model Marlin 336 in 30-30 after he shot my 1894.

To get brass he first used Remington factory loads, 170gr core lokt pills & it shot accurately & performed well on hogs.

Now reloading both 170 and 150gr Speer SPFN pills for him. Both are very accurate & both tipping over hogs out to 150, about as far as we shoot them at night. If they'll drop hogs DRT, I imagine they'd tip over a white tail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts