21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I will be going down to Ok for a boar hunt with my sbl
we will be hunting at 25yrd +/- 100-150lbs boars with dogs
so i want something that will not pas threw the hog

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I'm not sure you will be able to do that with a 45-70, those hogs that size might need a smaller caliber. Say a 30-30 with 110gr bullets.
Just my opinion though.

"fk"

·
Registered
593 Posts
You are for sure going to need a smaller caliber or at least one that is not so powerful. A 44 mag or 357 mag might work without passing through if you use a hollow point. A 30-30 or 35 would work too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just my opinion but I wouldn't be relying on the pig stopping anything if my dog was behind it! Just make sure it's all clear before pulling the trigger not worth risking the dog.
Cheers,
Waldo

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Maybe you could bait the pigs , shoot them over corn. I would not count on any pig stopping any bullet 100 percent. Have had the 22 mag and hornet pass through. Have also had the 264 and 308 not pass through! Be safe.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I like to use 300gr hp projectiles from Hornady or any of the main brands, but load them to trapdoor specs. Try it I think you will be pleasantly surprised. These are roughly 44mag velocities.
1200 to 1400fps.
Example IMR4198 - 33grs = 1350fps.
I try to use my 45-70 in as many different situations as possible. It's just so much cheaper than lots of rifles and ammo and dies etc. I have found the 45-70 a very versitile caliber.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
681 Posts
moofy07 said:
I like to use 300gr hp projectiles from Hornady or any of the main brands, but load them to trapdoor specs. Try it I think you will be pleasantly surprised. These are roughly 44mag velocities.
1200 to 1400fps.
Example IMR4198 - 33grs = 1350fps.
I try to use my 45-70 in as many different situations as possible. It's just so much cheaper than lots of rifles and ammo and dies etc. I have found the 45-70 a very versitile caliber.
Hope this helps.

If you want to use the 45/70 without pass throughs I think this is the best advice.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
A handload is a must. Try out 22 gr. of 2400 with a Remington 300gr. HP. That should do the trick!

·
Registered
124 Posts
We all know that the 45-70 is a round that is known for it's ability to go through anything. I hunt hogs daily out at my job. We're over run with them. Even my light loads of 15.7 gr of Trail Boss with a Lee 340 cast RNFP will go clean through a 150# hog like a raygun! And this is a round that goes no faster than 1350 fps in my Guide Gun. The 405 RN's with paper patching and black powder goes through hogs like a hot knife through butter. Even the big boys that go over 350 to 400#s will have exit wounds from my loads.

I agree with the others that a mild loaded 300 JHP will provide the most expansion with the least penetration. Kept around the 1500 fps or less should keep them in the body....maybe ;)

Wade

·
Registered
194 Posts
Waldo said:
Just my opinion but I wouldn't be relying on the pig stopping anything if my dog was behind it! Just make sure it's all clear before pulling the trigger not worth risking the dog.
Cheers,
Waldo
I would have to agree with Waldo, no bullet is guaranteed to stay inside of a 100-150 lbs Pig. I would also caution against moving a bullet too slow as it will not expand as well, act more like a solid and give you deeper penetration. If you are a reloader, you may wish to do some test at different velocity's. I would pick nothing but the Remington 300 HP, as this bullet will expand quicker then any other bullet in .458 that I know of. It has known not to exit Deer in some cases. The link below has some interesting reviews on the cartridge. I would not use this on larger pigs or you may not find the bacon. All this said, it is best to have the dogs out of the way.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=884852

Good luck,
Domenic

·
Registered
30 Posts
i shoot 300 gr jhp in my 1878 browning at about 2200 fps they stay in the deer most of the time, im working on a hog load now for my 1895 gg im useing 350 gr jsp over a big dose of 3031 , i think they will do fine! we wont be useing dogs so i want to punch a big hole on the off side. csa

·
Registered
367 Posts
Two instances of hog hunting -

A good friend and I went to Tennessee for a wild boar hunt.
He took his T/C Contender in .41 Magnum, and I took my Dan Wesson in .44 Magnum, along with my Marlin 1894S.

My friend shot a sow at about 25 yards with his 210 gr JHP Hornady bullet, and the bullet passed straight through, behind the shoulder on the left side and out the right side. This sow field dressed at about 190 lbs.
My friend likes W-296 powder in Winchester cases, Hornady 210 gr bullets, CCI magnum primers.

The boar that was with the sow looked pretty darned good to me, so, I handed the Marlin to the guide and drew my DW.
The dogs had the boar at bay, and I ran up to the dogs and told them to back off.
When they were clear, I fired one shot, at seven feet, into the boar's neck.
The bullet entered on the right side of the neck, angled downward in a quartering away shot.
The Hornady 240 gr JHP dropped the boar like he'd been hit by a freight-train!
The bullet was recovered in the boar's left jawbone, mushroomed perfectly.
The boar field dressed at 210 lbs.
The load: Alliant (formerly Hercules) 2400 in Winchester cases, with Winchester LP primers, Hornady 240 gr JHP.

I'm supposed to go to Pennsylvania in March/April for a boar hunt, and my GG is taking the trip, along with my DW.
Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC on on the 'menu' for these porkers.
We've been told that the boars run 250-350+ lbs.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If I were every invited down to Texas for a hog hunt.
I'd be bringing me a pile of 405gr cast.
Might get two hogs with one shot, if you got the time to lime them up right ;D
Or have fun trying

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I wrapped some pistol bullets "paper patched bullets" and used them in my 45-70 and I loaded them with some bullseye powder and I don't remember the exact velocity but it was under 800fps and they would kill a hog out to 25 yards. I used them on blue grouse and they were deadly at 0 to about 49 yards and right after that they would drop out of the picture. ;D

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
jacoviiix said:
hi I will be going down to Ok for a boar hunt with my sbl
we will be hunting at 25yrd +/- 100-150lbs boars with dogs
so i want something that will not pas threw the hog
You bought the wrong gun friend. ;)

I'd choose a decent load and just make sure I pick my shots well. Shooting your own dogs isn't worth it.

Good luck

·
Registered
310 Posts
Counting on a backstop with 4 operational legs and that little weight to stop a bullet from hitting your pooch on the other side is a perilous enterprise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seabass said:
You bought the wrong gun friend. ;)

I'd choose a decent load and just make sure I pick my shots well. Shooting your own dogs isn't worth it.

Good luck
right gun wrong target
oh well
we are going with a guide so i will tell him to keep the dogs clear

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
jacoviiix said:
right gun wrong target
oh well
we are going with a guide so i will tell him to keep the dogs clear
Well put with, 'wrong target'. ;D